Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus? Causing Keyboard(s) Not To Work

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 sbruce

sbruce

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 07 June 2006 - 05:02 PM

came home after a break off my computer and the keyboard wasn't working (computer left on, no one else touched it.) Keyboard was a microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse combo. Thought it had died (tho the mouse still worked). Went out and bought another MS one, didn't work, took it back and got a logitech laser wireless combo. Keyboard didn't work either. SPent lots of time on the phone with tech support at logitech. Still can't get anything on the keyboard to work. That's 3 keyboards. Turns out my keyboard worked on my son's computer (he has identical setup).

I run Windows XP home.

So I am suspecting something else is wrong--virus?? I update and run Norton regularly and have run it since the keyboard problem to see if there was something "new". Nothing there. Also run Adaware SE

Nothing seem to explain why my keyboard went haywire, and why I can't get another to work. They are all wireless that I have been trying. Don't have a corded one around any more to try.

Here are a 3 related/unrelated issues--the first one happened after the keyboard problem, the 2nd and 3rd predate by a while and I have just been ignoring them, so probably aren't related.

1. After doing some of the stuff logitech suggested, I know also get this message:
0xc0000033 failed to intitalize properly (i click ok and it goes away, sometimes pops up again, but then I haven't been using my own computer much lately)

2. I get this message on startup of my computer, even before keyboard problem (got rid of it once, it's back and don't remember how to get rid of it) I think it sometimes keeps me from booting up properly:
c:\windows\system32\uuzvke.exe (but this predates the keyboard problem)

3. Last message on startup:
"the OS or another process currently has exclusive access to this drive or some of its files. Norton Disk Doctor cannot continue with a repair." (also predates keyboard problem.

i am using the on-screen keyboard--good to know about but very tedious
XP Pro 2002, SP 2; HP Intell T2400 1.83 GHz
987 Mhz .099 GB RAM; MS Outlook; Anti virus: AVAST; LAVASOFT Ad-aware;
Firefox 2.0.0.9

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 07 June 2006 - 05:44 PM

Problem 2 (uuzvke.exe) does seem to trigger a switch. After some research, it appears that using HiJackThis (HJT) may cure your problem. Please follow the Preparation Guide Before Posting a HJT Log and then post your HJT in the HJT Board NOT anywhere else on this forum.

Some side advice/notes:

1. If your problem is malware related, the HJT Team member or designated helper should spot it and give you a cure.
2. Please DO NOT alter your computer (install things, delete things, etc.) after posting your HJT log unless advised so by your helper.
3. Please DO NOT make multiple posts to your HJT log post unless responding to your helper.
4. The HJT Team and HJT Officials are rather busy here at BC, so it may take a few days for someone to get to your HJT log; however, once a HJT designated helper arrives you are in excellent hands, so please be patient and enjoy life in the mean time! :thumbsup:
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 34,081 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:13 PM

Since all three keyboards not working are wireless do you have a standard PS2 keyboard that you can try using?

As for the malware, lets try a few other scanning tools before using Hijackthis to post a log.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
This program is for XP and Windows 2000 onlyDouble-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

Download and scan with Ewido Anti-Malware v3.5 in "SAFE MODE".
Ewido Install and Scan Instructions.

Then perform these online Virus scans:
[Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component.]
Trend Micro Housecall Scan
F-Secure Online Scanner Next Generation Beta
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#4 sbruce

sbruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:43 PM

i did step one and downloaded ewido, but before i install and run it i need to know how to start in start in safe mode w/o a keyboard to press f8 during reboot. ty
Firefox 2.0.0.9

#5 sbruce

sbruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:50 PM

btw, do you think this is some sort of virus?
Firefox 2.0.0.9

#6 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:39 PM

Oh I didn't realize that you had this double posted...Sorry I posted to the other one...
--
Harry83
Posted Image
Liberating America From Spyware - 1 Computer at a time...

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 34,081 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:37 AM

Were you able to get hold of a standard PS2 keyboard that you can try using? Not knowing for sure what the problem is with the wireless keyboards, I'm suggesting a simple troubleshooting technique as a process of elimination.

Run Ewido in normal mode for now. Just open task manager and end this process first if its listed as running: uuzvke.exe

#8 sbruce

sbruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:45 AM

no i didn't. i will try to find one today. i also don't know how o open task mgr w/o ctrl/alt/del--can't seem to do that w/ the on-screen keyboard.
Firefox 2.0.0.9

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 34,081 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:05 AM

Use your mouse to right click an open area in the task bar. In the context list that popups up, select task manager.

Go to Start > Run and copy/paste or type: taskmgr

#10 sbruce

sbruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:52 AM

i have run ewido. i go to analysis, start up and try to delete uuzvke.exe but it can't be deleted--i press delete, it goes away for a second then pops right back in. also have tkbellexe that does same. did have alot of infected files. don't know y norton doesn't find them. what do i do w/infected files-can i leave them quarantined for now?

running housecall now, will follow by f-secure. takes a while
Firefox 2.0.0.9

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 34,081 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:01 AM

Leave the infected files in quarantine. Can you post your Ewido log report? Also let me know the results of your other scans and any infected files that are found but not deleted.

#12 sbruce

sbruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:16 PM

i finished housecall--here is what couldn't be removed and no info available. adw_se.3703.
i couldn't get f-secure to download

should i reboot

would like to get rid of uuzvke.exe first since it often interferes
Firefox 2.0.0.9

#13 sbruce

sbruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:22 PM

don't know how to do ewido log.
have quarantine but won't let me copy
other no delete:
Firefox 2.0.0.9

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 34,081 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:35 PM

Its time to have a deeper look as to what's going on with your system by creating a hijackthis log. This will help us to identify and remove the malware files responsible for your problems.

I suggest you read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log.

When you have done that, post a log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, not here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts.

It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy. Please be patient as they are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have no replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response, a team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

After posting your log please DO NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, delete files and other items on your own, etc.) unless advised by a HJT Team member. Doing so can result in system changes which can complicate the malware removal process.

#15 sbruce

sbruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 01:05 PM

ok. btw corded keyboard doesn't work either. turned off comp, plugged it in, rebooted, nothing. is that significant?
Firefox 2.0.0.9

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users