Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Scrolls Up And Down When Typing And More

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 skboone

skboone

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 11:00 PM

about a week ago, i left the computer for a little bit. when i returned - here starts the problems. suddenly when ever i type things on a form online or email online, etc (not word though) the computer screen scrolls up and down quickly about an inch over and over while typing. or sometimes the screen flickers with sort of a double vision thingy also when i type - kind of like its going to go out, but doesnt. at the same time this happened, my shift key started acting like a 'back' key, so whenever i try to type a capital letter, it goes back to the previous screen, thus deleting everything i've done. verrrrrry frustrating. ran virus scans, adware scans, etc - no help. tried deleting and reinstalling display drivers and keyboard drivers - no help. did several system restores to different past points before the problem started - no help. bought a new keyboard - no help. :thumbsup:

oh i also checked sticky keys etc - they aren't on.....

does anyone know what i can do short of a complete system restore or buying a new computer
please let there be someone who can help me..

sorry no caps for obvious reasons stated above..... :flowers:

Edited by skboone, 19 May 2006 - 11:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 11:43 PM

I know it may seem silly but have you cleaned the inside of your computer lately? Heat can make your system unstable and even lead to a major failure of components. Also check to see if your fans inside your case and on the processor heatsink are functioning.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 skboone

skboone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:00 AM

hi....what do you mean by clean it - its not that old, about 6 months, what do you recommend i do to it? thanks

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:13 AM

Depending on conditions, (pets, dusty, hours left on,..) that computer could have a completely blocked processor. It is recommended that a computer is cleaned at least once a year, and twice a year if in an adverse enviroment.
A fan can fail at anytime, and your processor cannot tolerate that for very long.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:51 AM

just guessing. possible firefox extension trying to steal focus. i just had one cause my screen to jump all over when i tried to type in a google search box.

another guess...possible mouse or cursor or system caret setting trying to steal focus either in your browser or in your global system.
I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

#6 skboone

skboone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 08:58 AM

sorry im a newbie moron, but how can i check for and fix the 'stealing focus' problem - i noticed that the problems get worse the longer the computer is on - by the end of the night its really bad

#7 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 20 May 2006 - 04:56 PM

hi skboone...not sure exactly where all the different settings might be located or what exactly they do.
for firefox check preferences/advanced/general tab. possibly it's trying to find the text you are typing or maybe a scrolling issue.
Posted Image

for windows check mouse settings in your control panel. i'm in linux so i'm afraid i don't know the exact path right now. you can also find internet options settings from control panel. advanced tab again.

maybe turning any of these on or off might solve it.

the firefox extension i had was something that highlights a text box. it caused pages to jump up and down. uninstall any extension that may highlight anything.

or it could be the dust/heat issue as acklan says. like i say i'm just guessing.

hth
I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users