Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with "Adobe Flash Player Out of Date" Malware

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 71Corvette

71Corvette

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:19 AM

Hello, my Windows 7 computer seems to be infected with some sort of Malware or a virus. Recently I've been continuously getting a pop-up message on my computer saying:

The page at http://www.bing.com says:
WARNING! Your Flash Player may be out of date. Please update to continue

Based on a bit of research online I've been able to verify this is a virus but I can't seem to get rid of it. I've run Malwarebytes and McAfee scans and those didn't solve the problem. I also used the restore feature of Windows 7 to roll my computer back to the way it was about a week ago before I started seeing this problem. However, none of these seem to have solved the problem.  

Recently my wife's Kindle Fire HDX has also been getting this pop up message. Both our devices are connected to the same a wireless router and I suspect the issue is connected as the problem started occuring at about the same time. I ran a scan of her Kindle using the Lookout app but that didn't find anything either.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I'm at a loss on what else to do to get rid of this.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:14 AM

Hi,

The symptoms you describe are common related to a router infection, you should reset the router configuration and then reconfigure all the settings, make sure you set secure passwords on the router access and on the Wireless WPA key also check the router support page to see if there is a new firmware to update the router OS.

Edited by SleepyDude, 13 April 2014 - 09:14 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU
___
Rui

#3 71Corvette

71Corvette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:57 PM

Ok. I'm running a netgear Wireless N Router Model WNR2000. Do you think hitting the button located behind the router to reset it to factory settings resolve this issue, or is there something else I'll need to do? I'm referring to the button you can only get to using the end of a paper clip or something similar.

Thanks

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 873 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

Ok. I'm running a netgear Wireless N Router Model WNR2000. Do you think hitting the button located behind the router to reset it to factory settings resolve this issue, or is there something else I'll need to do? I'm referring to the button you can only get to using the end of a paper clip or something similar.

Thanks

Yes, that is the button you need to press to initiate the router reset. Make sure you know all the specific settings you need to setup again in your router like the ISP user/pass if you have an ADSL connection for example.

Edited by SleepyDude, 13 April 2014 - 02:10 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

Proud graduate of GeekU
___
Rui

#5 71Corvette

71Corvette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:56 PM

Ok, I did the reset, changed the settings back and changed my password but I'm still getting this error message. Any other advice?

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 873 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

Ok, I did the reset, changed the settings back and changed my password but I'm still getting this error message. Any other advice?

Hi,

- Does it happens in all the browsers?

- Can you check the router configuration page and locate the firmware version you have?

Proud graduate of GeekU
___
Rui

#7 71Corvette

71Corvette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:06 PM

I generally only use Firefox so I don't know if it happens in other browsers on my laptop. I'll try using IE to see if it happens with that browser too but it only pops up a few times over the course of a day so it may take a while to figure out. I do know it also happens on my wifes Kindle which uses Silk for a browser.

When I did the reset on my router I did run a firmware update and it said there were none. It's running firmware version V1.2.3.7NA. I verified through Netgear's website that it's the latest firmware version.

Edited by 71Corvette, 13 April 2014 - 07:10 PM.

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 873 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:39 AM

I generally only use Firefox so I don't know if it happens in other browsers on my laptop. I'll try using IE to see if it happens with that browser too but it only pops up a few times over the course of a day so it may take a while to figure out. I do know it also happens on my wifes Kindle which uses Silk for a browser.

When I did the reset on my router I did run a firmware update and it said there were none. It's running firmware version V1.2.3.7NA. I verified through Netgear's website that it's the latest firmware version.

Hi,

Let me know the result with IE.
About the firmware version it's strange because this page says v1.0.0.50!

Proud graduate of GeekU
___
Rui

#9 71Corvette

71Corvette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:01 AM

It looks like there are several hardware versions of the WNR2000 router. I apparently have version 1. The latest firmware package for my version is available at this web address: http://support.netgear.com/product/WNR2000v1#wrapper

I've used IE for a bit now but haven't noticed the message popping up. I'll continue to use it and see what happens. Last evening my wife also got this same message on her Samsung S4. This is the first time she received the message on her phone.

#10 71Corvette

71Corvette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:06 AM

I just got the message while browsing with IE 11.

Based on all our devices giving this message it sounds like its an issue with our router. Maybe my reset didn't work for some reason? All the settings had to be updated so it did reset the values when I did it. Perhaps I should download and reinstall the firmware pacakge to overwrite whatever is in the router?

Any chance it could be our modem that's infected?

#11 busdriver72

busdriver72

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

Hello.  I too was recently infected with this.  I personally know a couple of the guys with tech support of our internet provider.  They had to end up replacing about 90 modems (including mine).  The chipsets were indeed infected and no amount of resetting was able to fix the issue.  So goes life. :angry:

#12 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 873 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

I just got the message while browsing with IE 11.

Based on all our devices giving this message it sounds like its an issue with our router. Maybe my reset didn't work for some reason? All the settings had to be updated so it did reset the values when I did it. Perhaps I should download and reinstall the firmware pacakge to overwrite whatever is in the router?

Any chance it could be our modem that's infected?

Hi,

Recently security flaws were identified in several routers for home use I do not know if modems are Also afected or not.

Do a reset to the modem also. If the router firmware have some vulnerability the only solution will be a new patched firmware.

When you see the warning can you access the router web interface?

Proud graduate of GeekU
___
Rui

#13 71Corvette

71Corvette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

I reset my router for a second time on Monday and also downloaded and installed the latest firmware (even though it was already up to date). I was going to rest my modem as well but it's provided by my ISP and I don't have access to it.

The latest router reset seems to have done the trick. I haven't gotten any other errors and, although my wife got one on her kindle after the reset, after restarting her kindle she hasn't gotten any more errors either - this is two days later.

Hopefully the issue is resolved now.

#14 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 873 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:22 AM

I reset my router for a second time on Monday and also downloaded and installed the latest firmware (even though it was already up to date). I was going to rest my modem as well but it's provided by my ISP and I don't have access to it.

The latest router reset seems to have done the trick. I haven't gotten any other errors and, although my wife got one on her kindle after the reset, after restarting her kindle she hasn't gotten any more errors either - this is two days later.

Hopefully the issue is resolved now.

Ok, Keep us informed please.

Proud graduate of GeekU
___
Rui

#15 71Corvette

71Corvette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:34 PM

It's been 4 days and the issue hasn't popped up again. It looks like resetting the router did the trick.

Thanks for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users