Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quickknowledge malware

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ejoiner

ejoiner

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:09 PM

Hi guys,

I discovered this site whilst googling looking for a cure to an infestation of quicknowledge malware.

I have a brand new Windows 8.1 Lenovo desktop machine that I have spent the last two days configuring, installing software, etc.  I have somehow picked up this bug and cannot make it go away.   It shows up in Chrome but so far not IE.  

I can see it in the list of windows programs for install/uninstall, but repeated attempts to uninstall via windows fails.  I also had an infestation of another bug, but was able to get rid of that one by managing the extensions etc,  This quicknowledge bug is apparently more nasty. I cannot identify anything unusual in any of the browser specific sections related to extensions, extraneous search engine listings, extra web pages etc.  It just routinely and randomly inserts legit looking pages asking about driver updates, etc.   Very confusing when one is trying to bring a new OS and new machine on line.  

How do I get rid of this thing?

Thanks

Eric

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sirawit

Sirawit

Batch,VB,Lua,C,...

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 2,270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:07 AM

Hi ejoiner and welcome to BleepingComputer! :)

:step1:

thisisujrt.gif  Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.

• Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.

:step2: Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.

• Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
    Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R#].txt) will open in Notepad for review (where the largest value of # represents the most recent report).
  • The contents of the log file may be confusing. Unless you see a program name that you know should not be removed, don't worry about it. If you see an entry you want to keep, let me know about it.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.

What we need in your next reply:

• JRT log
  • adwcleaner log

Thank you.

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users