Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

O11 - Options Group: [international] International*

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 swas

swas

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 04:58 PM

O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International* Hi all, just wondering if anyone was familiar with this file?? the people who helped me with my HJT log a couple weeks ago said it was from IE7 and not to worry about it or delete it. However I read in a HJT log post that it should be deleted.

any help would be appreciated

swas

Edited by swas, 15 May 2006 - 04:59 PM.

How beautiful it is to do nothing, and then rest afterward

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 05:16 PM

However I read in a HJT log post that it should be deleted.

Was it at this site?

If you have an 011 entry that means there is an added group to your Internet Options - Advanced choices. To see these open Internet Explorer and go to:

Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab

There are several groups of options listed there: Accessability, Browsing, etc. Apparently you have an extra group named International.

According to Merijn (the creators of HiJackThis) there is only one known malware that adds an entry to this area (see THIS), however new forms of malware are created daily. And I can't check this against IE7 because that is not the version I have.

Edited by Andrew, 18 July 2011 - 12:33 PM.
Mod Edit:Updated link URL to point to archived copy of the page. - AA

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 swas

swas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 05:56 PM

Hi albert, I found it under international, thanks for your directions. Yes the HJT log is at this site, but if its just added internet options it should be no problem for HJT to fix it, i think LOL. Still no clue what it does but life goes on. thanks very much for your help

swas
How beautiful it is to do nothing, and then rest afterward

#4 Oddjob

Oddjob

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 20 May 2006 - 02:37 AM

Hope this sheds some light on it for you.

O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*

It's for Internationalized Domain Name Support in Internet Explorer 7 >>

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....idn_support.asp

All the best.

Edited by Oddjob, 20 May 2006 - 02:40 AM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 20 May 2006 - 05:44 AM

The primary hijacker of concern in this options group is CommonName, a browser hijacker that installs an unwanted toolbar into Internet Explorer which displays links to paid sponsorsí websites as well as a search textbox. It also searches for terms that you type into the Address bar or within selected search engines and then hijacks your request by directing you to a sponsored website. CommonName is often bundled with file sharing software.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users