Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it safe to remove software from the PC manufacturer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 fs.dolphin

fs.dolphin

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:01 AM

Hi,

I recently had to reformat my computer to the factory defaults, on my case it’s a Toshiba. After re-installing the operating system I went to the ”Programs and Features” panel to remove any trial programs and I was shocked when I saw about 10 different programs/utilities from Toshiba,  I went ahead and removed the common trial programs that usually come in a new pc such as, Office, Norton etc. but left anything that says Toshiba since it is the manufacturer of the laptop and I didn’t know to what extent they modify the OS, which is basically my question.

1- To what extent does a PC manufacturer modifies the OS (Windows), if any?
2- Can I safely remove any programs from the pc manufacturer without corrupting the OS?
3- What could be considered the default Windows 7 programs that typically show in the ”Programs and Features” panel?

Thanks a lot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 2,104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:14 AM

Yes & No!  You need to take care and ask lots of questions many items are woven ito the system, take your time so you get it right.  You will probably do it a few times ove the life of the system as junk sneaks in.  Check post below for more.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/525857/windows-7-task-bar/

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 28 February 2014 - 08:18 AM.

COUGAR SolutionRSB400 tower 400 watt supply Win 7 Pro

Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH-CF  board Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.40GHz

16 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 SDRAM PC3-12800, 64 Gig ADATA SX900 SSD

120 Gig INTEL SS DSC2CT120A3 SSD, Three others up and running

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R. I. T.S. (and proud of it)

• Global Moderator
  • 9,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:39 AM

Please post the names of the Toshiba entries. Generally most of it can be uninstalled without harming your system. A couple of years ago I restored my daughter's Toshiba to factory condition and uninstalled Toshiba bloatware.

#4 fs.dolphin

fs.dolphin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:41 AM

Yes & No!  You need to take care and ask lots of questions many items are woven ito the system, take your time so you get it right.  You will probably do it a few times ove the life of the system as junk sneaks in.  Check post below for more.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/525857/windows-7-task-bar/

Phil

Thanks for the link.

Please post the names of the Toshiba entries. Generally most of it can be uninstalled without harming your system. A couple of years ago I restored my daughter's Toshiba to factory condition and uninstalled Toshiba bloatware.

I will post a print screen when I get home.

Thanks a lot.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,968 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:48 AM

What specific programs?

Are you referring to items listed in Add/Remove Programs?

My general answer would be...it's a matter of trial-and-error, with the caveat being that...before uninstalling anything, I would ensure that I have the capability of restalling it.

Interesting, IMO

FWIW , I personally would not include Ccleaner as a recommended application (it removes dump files and has a registry cleaner function within it), but that's just me.  For that matter, I would not recommend any of those apps because I have no experience with such.  Info is provided "as is", not a recommendation.

Louis

#6 fs.dolphin

fs.dolphin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:18 AM

@hamluis

Yes, I'm referring to  programs listed in the Add/Remove Programs panel.

​Interesting article.

@hamluis - What do you usually do when you get a new PC loaded with crapware? Leave it there and have a slow computer for ever or you simply buy a new Windows license and re-install from there?

Thanks

Edited by fs.dolphin, 28 February 2014 - 09:26 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,968 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:09 AM

@hamluis - What do you usually do when you get a new PC loaded with crapware? Leave it there and have a slow computer for ever or you simply buy a new Windows license and re-install from there?

Oddly enough...I have a Samsung laptop (305E4a) but I hardly ever power it on (I have 2 desktops and the laptop).  Had it a couple of years and I haven't done anything to it other than to connect it into my home network and move data files to it.

If it were the only system I have available...I'd probably leave it as is.  I don't get excited over how fast my systems run or don't run...I'm just grateful that they work properly :).  I don't game, I don't work (I'm retired)...so there is no reason for me to put a premium on how fast my systems do what they do...and the items on the laptop which might be removed...I have no reason to be concerned about such.

I generally do not buy OEM systems, unless it's for friends.  I prefer desktops and I prefer to assemble them myself.

Louis

#8 fs.dolphin

fs.dolphin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:26 AM

Thank you for your help.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,416 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

I recommend using PC De-crapifier which removes common trial and promotional software, Toolbars and junk programs often installed on a new computer by OEMs. It is mentioned in the link provided by hamluis.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#10 fs.dolphin

fs.dolphin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

First of all thank you all for the good suggestions.

I tried PC De-crapifier but I found ShoudIremoveit a better option in my opinion.

http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/ 

#11 StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:23 PM

You can uninstall the software but if it is your driver related software is their then ignore to uninstall. 

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,416 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

First of all thank you all for the good suggestions.

I tried PC De-crapifier but I found ShoudIremoveit a better option in my opinion.

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users