Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Windows on a SATA HDD problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rebbael

rebbael

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:58 AM

Greets to all!

I have a problem as above mentioned - installing Windows (any XP, 7, 8...) on a SATA HDD. So, for about 2 years now, I run my Win7 from a P-ATA 80 Gb drive.
My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H, and a version 1.4 at that which does not have a BIOS upgrade.There's just one and that's the whole pancake.

The only thing I could do, but cannot ('cuz I threw old Floppy Disk Drives away long time ago and no chance in Hell am to buy another one) - to do as they (Gigabyte support) say:
download drivers AHCI mode and RAID mode and then: 
"(Preinstall driver, press F6 during Windows* setup to read from floppy)"

Although you can choose a folder/file before the drivers install from a DVD-ROM or other HDD's, even USB HDD's. 
So, it finds the files but nothing happens, cannot continue to install. 
I can actually see the drivers I need, in the Windows Install Setup and whichever I choose - not working... These drivers are actually the same ones you can 
install afterwards when updating chipset, usb, firewire... This thing with the floppy is killing me.

Of course, I contacted Gigabyte about this and someone from their support-fiasco team sent me a "BIOS upgrade just for me". Woohoo, now that was a blast. Never 
tried it though, and as tinkering with BIOS goes nowadays, I'm on a zero budget to buy another motherboard if this just-for-me BIOS upgrade messes everything up.

Things I tried: 
in BIOS: 
- putting the SATA drive mode from RAID and/or AHCI to normal IDE mode, back and forth = no deal
- having only one SATA drive connected and DVD drive, where the DVD has also SATA interface = no deal
- reseting to optimal BIOS config = no deal
in Windows Install:
- being it from a USB stick or a DVD, the SATA HDD install option is not possible BUT I can browse through all the other internal or external devices for the needed software - INCLUDING the drive
it doesn't want to install to.

Point is, I was going to get an SSD drive which now makes no sense when I can't install on a mere SATA drive.

P.S. Interesting enough, any Linux distro, from Debian, Ubuntu, Ubuntu Studio, Fedora, Commodore, Arch distro what-have-you: no hassle at all. I have 4 SATA HDD's  all different species and sizes (did I mention the 80GB P-ATA drive?) and I could and when I was dual-booting, had Ubuntu Studio on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 2,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

Are you trying to install Win 7 64bit? Set BIOS to ANCI. Did you extract the files from the exe file from Gigabyte? The files on the USB or CD for Win 7 64bit should be:

amd_sata.cat

amd_sata.inf

amd_sata.sys

amd_xata.sys

#3 rebbael

rebbael
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

Are you trying to install Win 7 64bit? Set BIOS to ANCI. Did you extract the files from the exe file from Gigabyte? The files on the USB or CD for Win 7 64bit should be:

amd_sata.cat

amd_sata.inf

amd_sata.sys

amd_xata.sys

yup, 64 bit. yup I know what files are needed. and I mentioned I tried BIOS dwelling in the SATA department as "NATIVE IDE" and "AHCI". nope, doesn't work.

will be getting a floppy disk this week just to check it out, (and then sell the motherboard with the FDD) if that's the main reason for this stupidity Gigabyte did for the 1.4 version of this motherboard. It was good for a while, hey it got all I needed for the budget I had. now I wanna get prepared for 4k postproduction and rendering and will have to sell a kidney for a better 'home workstation'.

oh forgot to mention, when Windows 8 was in the BETA stage, they already had drivers for this motherboard. now that's hypocrisy. they want you to install drivers via FDD for a SATA disk but - they'll  make drivers for a BETA OS!

Edited by rebbael, 24 February 2014 - 12:28 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 2,259 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:17 PM

That is nuts. I think AMD has updated SATA drivers for that chipset. I will take a look and see if they have anything.

Edit: If you partition and format the drive with Gparted and give the partition the boot flag under manage flags in the partition menu, Windows 7 may install to the drive

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 February 2014 - 02:30 PM.

#5 bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

From my experience, I've just downloaded and installed the AHCI driver, then rebooted, then changed the BIOS setting to AHCI. The key to doing this, if you have an OS all ready installed, you'll have to do a reinstall otherwise you'll get a BSOD.

You don't need to use AHCI mode with a SSD...althugh to get the maximum performance out of the SSD it's highly recommended. I know a few people that are using a SSD and running them in just plain old SATA/IDE mode will no ill effect.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 2,259 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

I downloaded the latest chipset AHCI drivers for the SB7XX chipset. It was a 50MB download. I ran the installer and cancelled the install after all the files were extracted. It put an AMD folder in the root of C: with the AHCI drivers under the folder name W764A. All the files are dated 2013. If you want I can give you a drop box address so you do not have to download the 50MB file. If you do decide to download the file, the AHCI drivers are in:

AMD\Support\13-12_win7_win8_32-64_sb\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\SB7xx\AHCI\W764A

Edit: Chipset Driver link:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 February 2014 - 03:54 PM.

#7 rebbael

rebbael
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:14 AM

Thanks to everyone and JohnC for the link, and pathfile description - I have it on the original DVD from the motherboard and I also downloaded a version of it before this particular Windows 7 installation. I believe that for 6 to about 8 months was my recent formatting and this OS re-install.

As far as foreplay for Windows or Linux distros installation goes, yeah I often use gParted for disk formatting and making partitions but as I said, I wouldn't be on this old 80Gb PATA if the morons from Gigabyte made an update of somesorts. 

It's funny enough this motherboard has up to 1.5 versions and every one, except 1.4 (well, my luck goes to show it), has some major, some minor BIOS updates.

Well, what you gonna do? Can't blame them they didn't try - as I mentioned somebody from their team sent me a just-for-me-BIOS-version, which I still safe-keep and if anyone with this version of this motherboard wants to try it, I'll send em a copy. No charge. 

But on the official support page - there is just the one, the F8 and forgive me for being so blunt they can blow smoke up their ass with it. Because to compare with other issues of this board - major updated were made. One-point-four-shut-the-door.

Thanks mates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users