Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have U heard of Herd Protect Scan ?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 ThunderFlash

ThunderFlash

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:01 AM

Hey Guys,

2 weeks ago i downloaded herdProtect Anti-Malware Scanner*  from

Reason Software Company Inc. Publisher description (from Reason Software Company Inc.)
By applying innovative techniques used to combat malicious software, Reason is able to restore PC performance through a multi-faceted approach that utilizes Reason's deep understanding of both the Windows Operating System as well as the behavior of third-party programs. Reason’s goal is simple, to help users gain back control of their PC.
Publisher URL: www.builtwithreason.com

Of course i scaned it, with VT hash*  result 0/48 (good)

I first installed it under TimeFreeze* from ToolWizz to take as less chances has possible.

No harm done at all on my system, nothing changes suspiciously. (good)

It is just a scanner, so no quarantine or removal.

But it uses 68 viral scan. (very good).

It is not like VT hash* using VirusTotal* allowing you scan single files, but it does a complete scan &

gives you a result on threats and also potential threaths.

It's worth a look.

I copied and paste the following.

What is herdProtect Anti-Malware Scanner?  (from Reason Software Company)
herdProtect is a second line of defense malware scanning platform powered by 68 anti-malware engines in the cloud. Since no single anti-malware program is perfect 100% of the time, herdProtect utilizes a 'herd' of multiple engines to guarantee the widest coverage and the earliest possible detection. As a second line of...  Read more
Overview
herdProtect Anti-Malware Scanner is a program developed by Reason Software Company. The software installer includes 5 files. In comparison to the total number of users, most PCs are running the OS Windows Vista (SP2) as well as Windows 7 (SP1). The distribution of this has mostly been seen in the United States.

Program details
URL: www.herdProtect.com
Help link: www.herdProtect.com/about.aspx
Installation folder: C:\Program Files\reason\herdprotect\scanner
Uninstaller: "C:\Program Files\Reason\herdProtect\Scanner\uninstall.exe"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

bleeperizer

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 2,861 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:09 AM

seems legit. leaving out the hard part (where one actually tries to remove the malware) is a great idea, as it won't interfere with antivirus systems and malware often cannot be removed without human inspection.

a new niche has been created.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,300 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

herdProtect Anti-Malware is a cloud-based portable scanner that doesn't require installation and should not interfere with your existing anti-virus. However, the download page includes a note that this is a beta version.

herdProtect is a second line of defense malware scanning platform powered by 68 anti-malware engines in the cloud. Since no single anti-malware program is perfect 100% of the time, herdProtect utilizes a 'herd' of multiple engines to guarantee the widest coverage and the earliest possible detection. As a second line of defense anti-malware solution, herdProtect is designed to run with any existing anti-virus program already installed on a user's PC....A user can install this portable scanner on any Internet connected PC and scan their entire computer for known malware in under 60 seconds.

About herdProtect Anti-Malware Cloud Scanner
Betanews: herdProtect scans your PC for threats with 68 anti-malware engines

I seldom recommend using betas of most programs since you never know what bugs or quirks might turn up... then you have to waste time researching and getting things straightened out.

What is beta software?

After an initial round of in-house testing, software publishers often release new programs to be tested by the public. These pre-release versions are called beta software, usually denoted by a "b" in the version number, e.g., Netscape Navigator 2.0b5. Since the publisher couldn't possibly test the software under all possible conditions, it is reasonable to expect that wider use of the software may uncover problems that were not discovered during in-house testing. The publisher expects to be notified when users find such problems so that the program can be fixed before its official release.

In general, you should expect to run into bugs whenever using any piece of beta software. These bugs may range in severity from minor features that don't work to problems that cause your computer to crash. You should decide whether the benefit of new features in a beta program outweighs the risk of program instability before choosing to use a piece of beta software. You should also be aware ...you should not expect the same level of support as you would receive for an official release version of the program.

Beta version software is useful for internal demonstrations, testing and previews to select customers, but may be unstable and not yet ready for a release candidate stage. The goal of a beta program is to collect information regarding the performance, quality, stability, and functionality of new products in order to iron out the bugs before they are released to the general public as a stable final product. Beta software is not intended for inexperienced users since it may contain bugs ranging in severity from minor features not working properly to problems that may potentially damage your system. Not that I am implying you are inexperienced...just speaking generally. However, if you choose to use a beta program, you use it at your own risk.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

bleeperizer

• 2,861 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

I tried using it on one of my machines that I know to be infected, but it would not run. But then again neither would MBAM or Combofix or many of the other tools I normally butcher my infected machines with.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,300 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

It is not uncommon for some types of malware to target anti-virus and other scanning tools to keep them from running in order to protect itself.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

bleeperizer

• 2,861 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

Ton Jones Syndrome.... *(it's not unusual)

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,300 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:47 PM

That's correct....not unusual.

#8 fyodor

fyodor

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:47 AM

it looks promising. At the moment though it only scans active processes, the system folder and some other things. No option yet to do a full system scan.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,300 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:36 AM

Yes it does look promising. Hopefully the final release will include more options.

#10 bhringer

bhringer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:07 PM

Wish it would give option to install to designated folder rather than default to C:\Program Files (Programs) Or did I miss something about it's portability?

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,300 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

:welcome: to BC bhringer

Nice to see you here.

#12 bhringer

bhringer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:25 AM

Thanks quietman7 Nice to be here, nice to be anywhere at my age.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,300 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:24 AM

I know the feeling too well myself. :hysterical:

#14 kurt.hansen

kurt.hansen

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

from their facebook page on thursday 3/20/14:

It's here, herdProtect now has full scan and remove capabilities (beta)! If you already have herdProtect installed (or the portable version) just download (http://www.herdprotect.com/downloads.aspx) the new version and install, it will handle the upgrade for you. 

Tip: by default you can remove one infection at a time, but just click the '?' icon on the top of the window to enable the multiple removal option (Remove checked button will then appear).

Please let us know what you think, your feedback is very important so we can continue improving!

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,300 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:56 PM

Please let us know what you think, your feedback is very important so we can continue improving!

Are you an authorized representative for herdProtect Anti-Malware ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users