Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Logmein Rescue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jameshayden

jameshayden

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 08:32 AM

Hello

I recently had some tech support and the guy used logmein rescue to remotely access the pc. When his session was done, he said the logmein app would disappear.

But it automatically starts after we select the user profile to launch XP. I have to disconnect, pull up the task manager and then run EXPLORER to get to the desktop.

I called their tech support and then told me to look for "logmein" in the 4 places in the registry. I didn't find it anywhere but I did find an LMIR shell in a WINLOGON folder in the registry.

Does anyone know if this is the file I need to remove so this program doesn't start on startup?

This program is not listed in the add/remove software window.

Thanks
James

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 09:37 AM

I do not know the answer to your specific question, as I believe that would be a question for the tech support you used.

However, you could try Start > Run

type "msconfig" (without the quotes) Click OK

Click on the Startup tab. Here you will find a list of programs that start when you boot your computer. Uncheck any you don't want to start when you boot up. (You still will be able to start programs through their shortcuts or by going to Start > All Programs. Unchecked programs just won't start automatically at bootup and won't be running in the background.)

You can Google entries or use the Bleeping Computer Startup Database HERE to research the various startup entries, as sometimes they can be a bit cryptic.

OR
Another idea is to look for the entry here: Start > Run

type "regedit" (without the quotes) Click OK

This will open the registry editor. Navigate to:
HKLM > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current Version > Run
and look for the entry in the right panel. You can delete it from there by right clicking on it and choosing Delete.

Posted Image
Do NOT make changes to your registry unless you have a good backup first!

HOW TO BACKUP THE ENTIRE REGISTRY IN WINDOWS XP

Start > Run
type "regedit" (without the quotes). This will open the Registry Editor.
File > Export
Choose a location where you want to store your backup. Choose an easy to remember location, such as on your desktop.
Give it a easy to recognize name in File Name such as: regbackupMONTH with MONTH being the current month.
Save as type: Registration Files (*reg)
Export Range: All
Click on 'Save'

A copy of your registry will now be saved on your desktop and will look like this:
Posted Image

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 14,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 09:42 AM

I found this...

https://secure.logmein.com/go.asp?page=support_faq

How do I uninstall LogMeIn?

1. Click Start in the systray bar, then Control Panel.
2. Click Add or Remove Programs.
3. Scroll to the LogMeIn icon and click the Remove button.

If you have difficulty uninstalling LogMeIn, you can follow these manual instructions (for users of Windows NT/2000/XP/2003):

1. If the LogMeIn service is running, right-click on the LogMeIn system tray icon on the bottom right of your screen, and select Disable LogMeIn.
2. Use the key combination Ctrl-Alt-Del to open the Task Manager, then click the Processes tab to check if the logmeinsystray.exe and ramaint.exe files are running. If they are running, select them and click End Process.
3. If LMIMaint cannot be terminated, click Start in the systray bar, then run, and type services.msc.
4. Press enter, and on the list that appears find the LogMeIn maintenance service. Right-click on it, and select Stop.
5. Click Start on the systray bar, then Run. Type regedit and hit enter.
6. In the Registry Editor window, open up the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE directory tree, and then open up the SOFTWARE tree.
7. Check to see if Logmein exists on this list. If it does, right-click on it and select delete.
8. Still in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE tree, open up the SYSTEM folder, then CurrentControlSet, then Services. Look for RaInfo, ramaint, ramirr, and Logmein. If they exist, right-click on each of them and select delete.
9. Still in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE tree, open SOFTWARE, then Classes, then Installer, then Products.
10. Scroll through the list and click each product to open it sub-directory tree until you find the one that contains LogMeIn.
11. Right-click on the key in the tree that contains LogMeIn and select delete. Close the Registry editor.
12. Click Start on the systray bar, then My Computer, then Local Disk (C:), then Program Files.
13. In Program Files, delete the LogMeIn folder.
14. Reboot your PC.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

#4 jameshayden

jameshayden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for tips.

I tried the tip about uninstalling but didn't find anything to uninstall.

I then tried the MSCONFIG tip but found nothing as well.

Logmein called me back and I discussed the shell and 2 rescue.exe files I found in the WINLOGON folder in the registry. They said I could delete them. Once I did that, the problem was fixed. So it was those two registry entries I found when I did a text search on the word "rescue".

Thanks for all your help

By the way, logmein.com customer support was awesome.

Edited by jameshayden, 09 May 2006 - 01:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users