Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No boot, dlls needed for HAL?, CDROM not read

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 881 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:35 PM

I'm lost on this one, could just help!!!

Computer was working fine when left on. Next morning there was a black screen that stated that windows could not load, "load needed dlls for Hal".

-Initially I tried to boot from a disc, but the system won't read ANY boot discs. I switched out CD drives with no change.

-Next I tried to boot in safe mode. I hit F8 to get the boot choices menu, but any attempt to moved the selection past normal boot freezes the menu.

-Next I pulled the hard drive and mounted it in a testing computer. I slaved it and was able to recognize and view the files on the drive. I ran chkdsk and it found errors, did recovery. I put the drive back into the original machine. No change

-Next I read up on hal.dll errors. One solution was to copy the hal.dll from a install disc. I did that (using testing PC, since I still can't get the other to recognize discs). Put drive back in. Now the computer automatically goes to the Boot Choices menu, but it still freezes if you try to select anything other than Normal boot. Normal boot still brings up HAL error.

-Next I rebuilt the bootmgr. Renamed old boot.ini, found windows installation, etc.

Now if I try to boot the clients HDD in the testing computer, it will go just past the splash screen before BSOD, which seems normal since it's a different computer. But in the client's machine it still won't boot (doing what I listed previously).

Should I attempt a repair install? This could be tough since I can't even get a CDROM to work on this system!

I need a more definitive step by step on rebuilding the boot mgr, because I did it from memory and I think I missed a few steps.

In addition to the hal.dlls, are there other files I should try and replace? I caught a reference to a ntkernal.exe somewhere...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 881 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:35 PM

Never mind, I guess...turns out it was a dead stick of RAM...

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 44,224 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:54 PM

Thanks for letting us know...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users