Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need help removing http://www.nationzoom.com/?type=sc&ts=1385

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nosmiley

nosmiley

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:03 PM

This item has taken over my home page. It professes to be a search engine that finds the best answers for you from yahoo & google.
 I didn't want it, but it arrived anyway, and I can't get rid of it. I have run Superantispyware, Malwarebytes, avast, to no avail.I have run cc cleaner, added it to cookiewall. On Internet explorer properties it's listed as a shortcut, has probably 100 numbers and letters attached.I deleted all that.
Under tools> internet properties> my home page is still listed as http://my.yahoo.com/?mkg=015  
In spyware blaster, and superantispyware, I have the boxes checked not to allow the home page to be changed, but it changes anyway.
In the address line, if I remove the nationzoom, and put in the yahoo address, I get yahoo, then check the "make yahoo my home page", everything works fine until I close the page. When reopened, I get the bleeping nationzoom.  In the "about us", it claims to be violeter inc.; Redwood City, California.  
I downloaded a copy of Quicktime from apple and got several google things, I didn't realize I was getting. I have removed as many as I have found. I have spent two days trying to get rid of this without success.It may have been in apple quicktime download, without listing it. I would suggest you never purposely download it, unless you're above average with tinkering.
Thank to anyone that wants to be of help.

Computer  Old Gateway GT5438
with added memory , new ATI motherboard
Windows 7 with all updates
This is a private computer, used by me only, if you need to hurl stones, I'm the one.
Thanks again

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 18,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:22 PM

Please download AdwCleaner and run it.

An image like the one below will open, click on Scan.

adwcleaner11_zps48314883.png

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.  

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be close so that the infections can be removed.  Click on Ok.

When cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your next post.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

1)  Double-click on mbam-setup.exe, then click on Run to install the application, follow the prompts through the installation.

2)  When the installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:

Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Then click on Finish.

3)  MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. 

4)  Click on perform Quick Scan, then click on the Scan button.

If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.

5)  The scan will now begin, this may take some time to complete so please be patient.

6)  When the scan is finished click on Show Results to display all objects found.

7)  Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.

8)  Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.

Make sure that every item shown in the results has a check mark in the box next to it, then click on Remove Selected.

9)  When removal is completed, a log will open in Notepad.

This log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.Copy and paste the contents of the log in your next post, then exit MBAM.

Important:  If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Reagardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Please copy the Malwarebytes log and paste it in your next post.

To locate this file right click on the Start orb and choose Open Windows Explorer, then click on C: drive.

When the C: drive opens click on the following:  ProgramData, Malwarebytes, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Logs.  

If there is more than one log, choose the log with the date that you ran scan that I requested.

If there are a large number of items found you can go into Settings and click on Scanner Settings to change the setting in Action for potentially unwanted programs (PUP) to Show in results list and check for removal.

Malwarebytessettings_zpsb9b50638.png

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.  Groucho Marx

#3 ray4x4x4

ray4x4x4

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:43 PM

I have also been having trouble removing Nation Zoom.

it just does not go away.  I have used MBam, AdwCleaner, JRT, RogueKill.

none worked.

Tried a couple of manual removal how-to from the web but these did not help as they did not match what was being displayed by my system (windows 7 pro 64, SP1, fully windows updated but running IE10).

Rolling back to a earlier windows restore point.  I discovered the antivirus had been shut down and could not be turned back on. uninstalled and reinstalled Antivirus (AVG).

bottom line, there seems to be a new NationZoom out there.

#4 alacrity

alacrity

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:44 PM

I've lurked for years and finally I can help in return.

The bug IS removed by the steps in this post - except for the simplest form of hijack.

Right-click the shortcut and remove the web address from the target .

Everything AFTER 

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

needs to be removed - it's a direct link to nationzoom.com and just takes you back there every time.

I also found it on the "Internet Explorer (no add-ins)" link in the system tools in the start menu.

It's also in the shortcuts for Chrome and Firefox too.

Hope this helps.

Alacrity

#5 TEKness

TEKness

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:59 PM

Long time lurker as well, but thanks for the help. I was going nuts with this one and can't believe how simple the final fix was.

Thanks.

#6 peachypc

peachypc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

I've lurked for years and finally I can help in return.

The bug IS removed by the steps in this post - except for the simplest form of hijack.

Right-click the shortcut and remove the web address from the target .

Everything AFTER 

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

needs to be removed - it's a direct link to nationzoom.com and just takes you back there every time.

I also found it on the "Internet Explorer (no add-ins)" link in the system tools in the start menu.

It's also in the shortcuts for Chrome and Firefox too.

Hope this helps.

Alacrity

THANKS!

#7 carceb

carceb

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:21 PM

Could anyone give more details about how to do this? Right-click on which shortcut? And where do I find the system tools? This thing is driving me crazy.

#8 carceb

carceb

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

Figured it out. Computer is clean :)

#9 SPEEDBIRD286

SPEEDBIRD286

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:48 PM

Excellent advice....and so simple!  Worked for me.

Does not remove the actual virus executable, but removes its effects.  Hence more effective after doing a full scan with your AV, Malwarebytes, Spybot etc etc.

Never overlook the obvious!

Edited by SPEEDBIRD286, 05 December 2013 - 10:48 PM.

#10 SPEEDBIRD286

SPEEDBIRD286

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:51 PM

Excellent advice from Alacrity. 

Does'nt remove the virus executable but removes its effects which remain after cleaning with AV, Malwarebytes and Spybot.

Hence the advice to do multiple full scans first then fix the shortcuts.

#11 gusperrysmom

gusperrysmom

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

Thank you, Alacrity.  I've been trying to remove this virus for days!  (Windows 8.1 - Internet Explorer and Chrome.  For whatever reason, it never infected WaterFox.)  Followed every piece of advice I could find - to no avail - until I found yours.  Thanks again.

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,423 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:47 PM

To anyone concerned.

Grinler added a Removal Guide today

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-nationzoom.com-browser-hijacker
How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users