Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost.exe Hangs Taking Up 50% Cpu Usage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Genealogy Rules

Genealogy Rules

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:01 PM

Hi all, I've been having this problem with svchost basically since I've had this laptop. I bought this computer the week SP2 was put out and I upgraded to XP Pro SP2 as soon as I got it. Then, I was running a spyware scan and virus scan and it detected something it called adware virus. No other details. What it did to my system was create a 2 minute hang during the startup process and other problems I just found later. I've fixed all but one of the problems and that is the svchost hang.

Svchost.exe has 6 instances running on my system at once which isn't much of a problem. What is a problem is the largest one (21, 608 K currently but I've seen it to 30,000 K or as low as 16, 000 K) will freeze when the system comes back out of hybernation. It doesn't always do it but it does it more often if I put the computer into hybernation after listening to music. It will then take 50 % of the CPU power which drives the fans on my computer crazy and slows the system a little. The only way I've seen to get rid of it is to close the bad svchost in the task manager and restart the system. If you just restart the system will not restart with svchost doing this. Also, when this particular svchost is closed in the task manager the sound will not work. I've tried uninstalling my wireless card drivers, regular network card drivers, and sound drivers and then reinstalling them but it hasn't fixed this particular problem. :thumbsup: The problem svchost is listed under the username "SYSTEM" in the task manager. The others are in "SYSTEM" "NETWORK SERVICE" and "LOCAL SERVICE."

Do you think posting a hijackthis log in the hijackthis forum would help?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 U R Insan3

U R Insan3

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:38 PM

Well, the best thing that you could do is to restore your computer back as far as you can, I don't see how a new computer can have the problem instantly before doing anything. I've seen the programming side of a trojan and when I went to see what it would save as after the initial program was run (When the trojan was activated it would delete it's install file and implant itself into svchost.exe because if you delete that.. your computer is pretty much messed up) I remember that because my computer used to be messed up after I ran that program (I was stupid when I was in 6th grade...) and it messed up my laptop for ages, dont remember how it got fixed.

If that doesn't work, take tg1911's advice

Have you tried starting in Safe Mode?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
Reboot into Safe Mode with networking, which will allow access to the internet.
Update your security programs, and run them.

That's my advice atleast - wait for someone better to come along though haha.

Hope I helped.
-TJB

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:54 AM

Svchost.exe is not the problem. It's merely the Windows Services running - every time a new service is needed and starts, a new version of svchost is started. However, there's a good chance that your problem is caused by malware running as a service. There are many ways for malware to take over your computer and being installed as a service is just one of them. It is common for several instances of svchost to be running at the same time.

It would probably be a good idea to post a log in the HijackThis! forums. Read this first.

#4 Genealogy Rules

Genealogy Rules
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:34 AM

Thank you both. I'm headed to the hijackthis boards now. Cya there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users