Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix compatibility mode in Win8.1

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GoGriz

GoGriz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:01 PM

Hi all -

If I try to run ComboFix from the Desktop, Run, Command Line, I always got message saying that the app is not meant to run in compatibility mode. 

Well, I turned off compatibility mode for the app from the Properties dialog box.  ComboFix cannot get past the compatibility mode issue no matter what I try. 

Should I continue trying to make it work or bail, acknowledging that ComboFix and Win8.1 has a fundamental incompatibility that I can't fix or outsmart?

Advice anyone?

(BTW, the app was recommended as the tool to use to defeat the Search engine hijacking in the three browsers I use.  I had some success on my own, but some problems persist.)

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 8 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

Almost Retired

• Members
  • 9,652 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

Hello -

Please read ComboFix usage, Questions for details that include this quote =>

""Currently, ComboFix is compatible with:
Windows XP - (32 bit only)
Vista and Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit).

Note: Although not listed in the Authorized Guide, ComboFix will run on Windows 8 (32-bit and 64-bit).
ComboFix is not compatible with Windows 8.1 yet so you cannot get it to run.""

Thank You -

EDIT -

For your problems, I would try AdwCleaner by Xplode - Junkware Removal Tool and then  Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free (aka MBAM) -

These all seem to run with 8.1 -

Edited by noknojon, 24 November 2013 - 04:33 PM.

#3 GoGriz

GoGriz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

noknojon -

Yeah, I noticed that too, but hoped that it would work with Win8/8.1 and that the documentation had not been updated yet to point that out.  At least I now know for certain what the situation is.  I will give AdwCleaner a shot and also the Junkware removal tool.   I routinely run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free and it does not address my specific problem.  But it is still a great piece of software that has been valuable at times.  It is one tool I think everyone should install.

Thx for the feedback!

#4 noknojon

noknojon

Almost Retired

• Members
  • 9,652 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:04 PM

No problem -

The script on usage has not been fully altered yet because sUBs had enough problems with Win8, and then Win8.1 is a bigger change than expected.

This is my understanding from a few sites, but Bleeping Computer has still been left as the official designated site.

So when the program is updated, please check here first -

Thank You -

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:31 PM

...but hoped that it would work with Win8/8.1 and that the documentation had not been updated yet to point that out.

Edited by quietman7, 08 November 2013 - 04:24 PM.

I do try to keep that topic up to date.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users