Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost.exe using 100% CPU

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#1 j_bins

j_bins

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:46 PM

Hi,

Not had any big computer problems since last time you helped me :-) Thanks.

However my oldish laptop running XP has started acting up a little - svchost.exe is using 100% CPU and everything is just grinding to a halt. A quick search on Google came up with similar problems from other people but i can't find a specific cause or solution that I understand in full.

I have disabled 'automatic updates' from windows as someone recommended but it still occurs. I am unsure if it is a Windows bug or something else. I am unsure of the best and safest way to resolve this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

:-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 j_bins

j_bins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:55 PM

Just found this fix but without knowing really whats going on or knowing that I can trust the advice I am not willing to try it:

http://www.technibble.com/how-to-fix-svchost-using-100-cpu-memory-leak/

..... what do you think? makes any sense?

#3 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 17,789 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

This is a zip-file which you will need to extract the application from.  

To extract the application click on shexview.exe, and then click on Extract All.

ashell_zps6793059b.png

Click Extract in the next window that opens.

Another window very similar to the first one will open, click on shexview.exe

ashell22_zps0b420749.png

In the next window click on Run to start the installation.

A image similar to the one below will open, this will show all of the shell extentions.

ashell33_zps28547f95.png

To find the shell extention which is causing the problem right click on a non-Microsoft shell extention, the non-Microsoft shell extention should be highligjted in pink.  Under the column titled Company you can see the programs listed as Microsoft Corporation, do not disable any of these.

Find the non-Microsoft shell extentions starting at the top of the list and right click on the shell extention and choose Disable Selected Items.

Restart the computer to see if this has resolved the problem.  If it doesn't resolve the problem go down to the next shell extention and repeat this process.  Continue this process until you find the shell extention that is causing the problem.

After you have found the shell extetion which is causing your problem click on [b'View[/b] and choose HTML Report - Selected Items.

Highlight the Shell Extentions List, copy it and post it in your topic.

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.  Groucho Marx

#4 j_bins

j_bins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

Thanks dc3 i will run trough that now.

Just an update on the behaviour of the computer - in 'Windows Task Manager' the 'svchost.exe' is back to CPU 0% but the 'system Idle Process' keeps hitting 99 %.

edit: if I start 'Windows Update' again then all the CPU usage shifts to 'svchost.exe' again.

Edited by j_bins, 15 November 2013 - 02:44 PM.

#5 j_bins

j_bins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:49 PM

Hi,

I worked started working through the non-windows shell extension on the list and found I was still encountering the same porblem. As a quick test I decided to disable all the non-microsoft shell extensions and reboot. The result was the same:
In Windows Task Manager 'System Idle Process' kept hitting 99%CPU (although maybe thats normal?) and when I ran Windows Update the 'svchost.exe' hit 100%  CPU and the computer was very slow indeed. On stopping Windows Update the 'svchost.exe' CPU usage again dropped (and 'System Idle Process' rose).

I am not sure what I should paste up here. (sorry if I sound a bit dim on this) Is it the whole Shell Extension list (272 items?). if I copy and paste from the html page it is a large table and even the post won't upload.

It seems like maybe non of the non-Windows shell extensions were the problem? There may be a problem with the Windows Update?

I appreciate your input, thanks.

edit: OK, have just been reading about 'system Idle Process' and it seems that when its high thats OK, its when its very low thats the problem, like when svchost.exe hogs all the CPU :-(

edit: multiple (very slow) attempts at Windows Update have been unsuccessful. The selected updates fail to install

Edited by j_bins, 15 November 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#6 DougCuk

DougCuk

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:46 AM

XP Windows using Automatic Updates
SVCHOST.EXE runs at 100% CPU (Single Core) or 50% (Dual Core)

Microsoft have stated this is a known bug and they are attempting to fix it - Until this bug is fixed you either need to disable Automatic Updates via the icon in the Control Panel or manually download and install the current Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer. The Automatic Updates process uses the Internet Explorer engine even if you have a different default browser installed.

Check this news article:
http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/windows-xp-update-locks-machines-svchost-redlined-100-fix-it-kb-2879017-230733

This issue comes about because Windows Update is heavily reliant on components of Internet Explorer. If these components are not up-to-date, later versions of Windows Update Agent (that's the engine that scans for and manages updates) may fail or exhibit very poor performance.

It is NOT necessary to install a new version of Internet Explorer to resolve this issue. What is actually required is to install the latest cumulative security update for whatever version of Internet Explorer you have installed. This will be IE6, IE7, or IE8 (if you're doing a fresh install of   Windows XP it will naturally be IE6). This will upgrade the various components of your Internet Explorer installation. Thereafter Windows Update will perform as it should.

The secret is to install the LATEST Cumulative Security Update for your version of Internet Explorer.
This is a recurring problem so the current latest versions keep getting updated each month.

A Google search will find the latest: Cumulative+Security+Update+for+Internet+Explorer

The latest updates are dated November 2013 (as of writing this). Download and install the update that corresponds with your currently installed version of Internet Explorer:

IE6: WindowsXP-KB2888505-x86-ENU.exe
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41064

IE7: IE7-WindowsXP-KB2888505-x86-ENU.exe
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41071

IE8: IE8-WindowsXP-KB2888505-x86-ENU.exe
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41074

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Brooklyn Born Bleep

• Members
  • 1,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:09 AM

@DougCuk: Good info, tyvm!

ETA: Just tested in XPMode--fresh SP3 install, unpatched, IE6 svchost using 100% CPU after install KB2888505 all is normal.

[attachment=143952:xpmode.PNG]

Edited by Union_Thug, 16 November 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#8 j_bins

j_bins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:41 AM

@DougCuk - Thanks :) Everything is now running fine.

I had read the infoworld article last night and tried the fix - however I had not run the 'latest' update so cheers for pointing that out and providing the link. Thanks for your detailed reply I am very grateful.

I have successfuly run Windows update with no problems and scvhost.exe is behaving well.

@dc3 - Thanks for your detailed post and for taking the time to help too :)

:)

Edited by j_bins, 16 November 2013 - 11:41 AM.

#9 DougCuk

DougCuk

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:35 AM

Glad to have solved your problem - and I hope many others also find this thread helpfull.

#10 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

Nice one, Doug.
Don't know if I would have had a problem, but I ran the IE8 .exe from your link, just in case and then did a huge update, which worked flawlessly.  Took a long time, but only because I had previously avoided the .NetFramework 4 updates. Thought it was about time I brought everything up to date, ahead of the MS 'end of support' in April.  Image backups created, don't want to go through such a long process again.
Cheers and thanks for the info.

Edited by petewills , 17 November 2013 - 10:08 AM.

#11 DougCuk

DougCuk

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:25 PM

Microsoft released a new "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer" today (10th December 2013) - MS13-097: KB2898785

But have NOT yet fixed the XP update bug. So we are back to the same problem again!!  (Seen today with XP-SP3 32bit plus IE8)

Microsoft stated last month that the Internet Explorer updates are treated differently from all the other updates - which is causing the XP Update engine to run so slowly as to appear frozen. If the Update service detects you do not have the latest IE update that is currently available it starts to search the whole IE updates tree to see what you need - instead of just offering the current cumulative update for your system.

But if you manually install the update yourself the Update service finds Internet Explorer is fully updated and doesn't search for any IE updates. But until MS fix the issue it will keep happening each time a new update is released.

MS said they intended to prune the IE updates database so that only the key Cumulative updates were offered when a search was initiated - this didn't happen in time for the November updated as intended - and obviously has not happened or worked in time for the December update either!

For Windows XP 32bit here are the direct download links:

IE6: WindowsXP-KB2898785-x86-ENU.exe
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41458

IE7: IE7-WindowsXP-KB2898785-x86-ENU.exe
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41442

IE8: IE8-WindowsXP-KB2898785-x86-ENU.exe
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41404

For full version listing see: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms13-097

#12 Taffy_078

Taffy_078

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:30 AM

I, for one, am delighted that Microsoft has fouled up again because I posted this problem on another forum where a kind lady (Madeline) referred me to this excellent forum.

I've previously posted a simple question on other forums so may I ask you please?

When (if?) Microsoft eventually get around to producing a fix for us how will I be able to get it? I've just got through to the Windows Update page, having disabled Live Updates, hit enter to search for updates and abandoned it after an hour and a half because the blasted cause of all this meant I had 100% CPU used by svchost!

When the fix is ready, how will I get it? Safe mode?

Fortunately I have a second PC, Windows 7, so I'm able to post this but I do pity anyone with just one PC - XP.

#13 DougCuk

DougCuk

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:26 AM

The fix Microsoft say they are working on would be a change on their update servers not on the customers PC - so should not be a problem.  

But until MS fix the issue this problem will keep happening each month - when a new IE update is released. So many people are just turning off Automatic Updates to avoid getting hit by the bug - be aware if you do a manual check via the Windows/Microsoft Updates website you will trigger the problem again - but it is easier to abandon the attempt. 

The info from Microsoft is as follows:

Microsoft stated last month (November 2013) that the Internet Explorer updates are treated differently for all the other updates - which is causing the XP Update engine to run so slowly as to appear frozen. If the Update service detects you do not have the latest IE update that is currently available it starts to search the whole IE updates tree to see what you need - instead of just offering the current cumulative update for your system. But if you manually install the update yourself the Update service finds Internet Explorer is fully updated and doesn't search for any IE updates.

MS said they intended to prune the IE updates database so that only the key Cumulative updates were offered when a search was initiated - this didn't happen in time for the November updated as intended and obviously has not happened or worked in time for the December update either!

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:02 AM

FWIW:  I find all this interesting...but it doesn't seem to apply to my XP installs at all.  I suspect that there are variables which no one is considering...which may cause the problems surfaced within this topic...only because there doesn't seem to be any universal experience with the problems described.  What those variables might be...I cannot imagine.

During the entire existence of Windows Updates...I recall experiencing only one problem out of all the downloads for XP and Win 7...and it was a MS server problem that was corrected eventually.  All of my systems have been self-built, Windows installed from System Builder packages...well, that's not correct, I do have a Samsung laptop with Win 7 preinstalled...aside from the one-time server problem, I've not had any problems because of or with Windows Updates.

Thanks to DougCuk for providing comments which seem to have resolved problems which others have experienced :)!!

Louis

#15 lti

lti

• Members
  • 534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:46 AM

Every computer I saw yesterday running XP was doing this. If you wait a few hours, the CPU usage drops back to normal and Windows will tell you that it is downloading updates.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users