Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade from Windows8 to Windows8.1 fails new HP laptop

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 doc sakal

doc sakal

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

I just last Sunday bought a HP laptop and it runs windows8 just fine. I installed a few apps (avast! foxit pdf reader, malwarebytes, superantispyware, open office 4, mozilla, opera) and yesterday decided to install the 8.1 upgrade. I followed instructions, which were basically to select 'store' click on upgrade to 8.1, and watch the download & install.

The download and install went fine, the reboot went OK, but I immediately received a message that the upgrade failed sand Windows8 was being restored. the error code was 0xC1900101-0x30018. I disabled the avast firewall, tried again, same error message. 

Since then, I made sure all available Microsoft updates were applied. 

I'm ready to try installing the 8.1 upgrade, again. 

Has anyone else had any experience with an error like this, and, BTW, the laptop was bought in Staples, then returned and 'wiped back to factory ship condition' and then I bought it. I can still return it, but I like the 17" screen size, and , of course, I can't predict how a brand new never been opened PC will act on the upgrade. 

Thanks for any and all hints. !!

.. doc ..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 calden

calden

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

DOC

Try turning OFF all AV's before installing 8.1.

As W8.1 has Defender protection there you are safe to do so.

If successful you can always reinstall your favoured AV after installation,

#3 doc sakal

doc sakal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:10 PM

thanks for the info. will try and post with results. I have class tonight, will try in AM Thursday !

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

You need to get rid of all of those anti-spyware/anit-malware and the unneeded firewall product, before you upgrade to 8.1.  Also you may need to install updates from HP for your machine, before installing 8.1, so check their support site first.  If I had to make an educated guess, it is all of those third party software products which are the problem, not the installing of 8.1.

That error btw, is related to drivers not being compatible with 8.1, so again you need to go and check for updates at the HP support site, before installing 8.1.

#5 doc sakal

doc sakal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:49 PM

I checked with the HP site, installed updates yesterday. Trying again now. Thanks for the info !

Installed all available HP and MSoft updates yesterday. Shut down completely. Booted up an hour ago.

.. doc ..

#6 doc sakal

doc sakal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

BTW, I totally restored the laptop to ship code. Took 10 hours or so. Then applied MSoft and HP updates, no other code, nothing at all. No AntiVir, no browsers, no scanners, no apps. My fingers and toes and eyes are so crossed I cannot see straight.

#7 doc sakal

doc sakal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

no luck. Phone calls to HP and Microsoft. Microsoft took 2 calls, the second rep could not fix the problem, so she made an appointment for a 'senior tech rep' to call me back Sunday. But Saturday ight, I packaged up the PC, and Sunday AM took it back to where it was purchased for a refund. No Windows8 for me ! I'm back to my mini-notebook, the screen is hard to read, but, it works. When the Tech called on Sunday I told him I no longer needed his help as I had returned the machine.

.. end of story ..

#8 doc sakal

doc sakal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:54 PM

OK, one P.S. For all the work MSoft did, after 4 hours with them dialled into my machine, the symptoms never changed. We were not making any progress.

#9 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:00 AM

First off, never let MS into your machine, no matter what.  There was no reason for you to contact HP or MS on this issue, since it could have been resolved through this forum, or another if you had posted enough information of what errors you were getting.  Sites like BC are free for help, MS & HP are out to charge you for them to help you, by the person on the other end just reading a script.

Above all, do not even think about taking it to the GeekSquad.  They will screw your machine up bad, or state that you have a hardware problem, and try to sell you a new motherboard, or hard drive.

Right now there are still issues with 8.1 not working well with certain OEM installs of 8, so really if you are having those issues, contact HP and ask if they have a 8.1 copy for you to get through them for your machine, vs. downloading through the Windows store.

#10 Calli66

Calli66

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:40 PM

Above all, do not even think about taking it to the GeekSquad.  They will screw your machine up bad, or state that you have a hardware problem, and try to sell you a new motherboard, or hard drive.

Right now there are still issues with 8.1 not working well with certain OEM installs of 8, so really if you are having those issues, contact HP and ask if they have a 8.1 copy for you to get through them for your machine, vs. downloading through the Windows store.

Uh-oh... noticed your GeekSquad warning! I just bought a HP envy E0L06UA#AB laptop for my mother-in-law along with GeekSquad support so that she can get help without having to call me.

Upgrade to 8.1 didn't work 2x at BestBuy straight out of the box. Didn't work 2x here at home. Now back at BestBuy where it didn't work again. They told me they're going to try on a new machine.

I like your idea about getting 8.1 copy through HP---do you really think they'll help? Geeksquad told me they would "sell" me new 8.1 at $139 and install it. Forget that idea.

Some phone guy GeekSquad told me it wouldn't ugrade due to error 46 volmgr, whatever that is.

Should I just forget it, and use 8.0 till they fix the glitch? Is it worth bothering with?

Thanks!

Calli

#11 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:47 PM

Yes HP will help.  Never do anything with them for repairs, or have Geeksquad touch the machine.  I would ask for my money back on their service, since it is not worth it.  Covering under HP's extended warranty is cheaper and better priced.

Really right now, just wait a few more months on loading 8.1.  You can use Start8 from Stardock Software, if you want to go directly to desktop, and Metromix to run Metro Apps in the desktop.

#12 Calli66

Calli66

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:28 PM

I just called HP--and yes, they can help. And call GS too...they say they did get 8.1 installed, but I'll believe it when I see it (said, "..it's still configuring..").

I can't decide whether to stick with the GS package. My mother-in-law is going to need to ask questions and has trouble understanding international accents, whereas the GS people speak "american." Do you know any good, friendly, patient, one-on-one computer support service companies you could recommend?

#13 Calli66

Calli66

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:38 PM

By the way..thanks for the link to Start 8--love it!

#14 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:21 PM

Mother in law has problems, and you are able to fix them, use Teamviewer to go in and fix them.

#15 Calli66

Calli66

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

I have used CrossLoop in the past, but Teamviewer looks good.  Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users