Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast firewall will not start

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 knotty panda

knotty panda

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

Suddenly today my Avast firewall stopped.  I called them, they remoted in, and said they could not help me going through a lot of mumbo jumbo about how it was my fault that their product did not work.  They said I had several virus protection softwares on my system.  If that is the case, I did not load them.  I have WinPatrol which should have alerted me to the fact that a program I did not load myself was being loaded.  That did not occur.  Please assist me in getting my firewall back up -- whether that is Avast or Windows.  Thank you.

Update:  Now, for some reason, my Windows firewall (which had been disabled) is now working.  This is all very confusing.  Thank you.

Edited by knotty panda, 13 November 2013 - 12:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,796 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:22 PM

Using more than one software firewall on a single computer is not advisable. Why? Using two firewalls could cause issues with connectivity to the Internet or other unexpected behavior. Further, running multiple software firewalls can cause conflicts that are hard to identify and troubleshoot. Only one of the firewalls can receive the packets over the network and process them. Sometimes you may even have a conflict that causes neither firewall to protect your connection. However, you can use a hardware-based firewall (a router) and a software firewall (i.e. Kerio, ZoneAlarm, Comodo, etc) in conjunction.

Therefore, before installing a 3rd-party firewall or an Internet Security Suite with a firewall, make sure you turn off the the Windows firewall

Note: In many cases the 3rd-party firewall or an Internet Security Suite will automatically turn off Windows built-in firewall in order to manage things but that does not always work as intended.

I prefer to just use Windows Firewall. See Choosing a Firewall

Please do the following...it will allow me to see what security programs are currently on your system.

Download SecurityCheck from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
Link 1
Link 2

• Ignore any warnings from your anti-virus if the tool is detected as a threat.
  • Double-click on SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • SecurityCheck will then start scanning your system...be patient and allow it to finish.
  • A Notepad document named checkup.txt should open automatically.
  • Copy and paste the contents of checkup.txt in your next reply.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 knotty panda

knotty panda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:36 PM

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.77 
 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 (UAC is disabled!) 
 Internet Explorer 10 Out of date!
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
 Windows Firewall Enabled! 
Microsoft Security Essentials  
avast! Internet Security       
 Antivirus out of date! 
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.75.0.1300 
 Java 7 Update 25 
 Java version out of Date!
 Adobe Flash Player 11.9.900.117 
 Adobe Reader XI 
 Mozilla Firefox (25.0)
 Google Chrome 30.0.1599.101 
 Google Chrome 31.0.1650.48 
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent```````` 
 Microsoft Security Essentials MSMpEng.exe
 Microsoft Security Essentials msseces.exe
 WinPatrol winpatrol.exe
 AVAST Software Avast AvastSvc.exe 
 AVAST Software Avast avastui.exe 
 BillP Studios WinPatrol WinPatrol.exe 
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 2%
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,796 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

As I suspected...your log shows there are two anti-virus programs installed - avast and Microsoft Security Essentials. See the IMPORTANT NOTE about not using more than one anti-virus program in this topic: Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

You need to make a decision to uninstall one of these anti-virus programs.

Your log also shows Java is out of date. Using Java is an unnecessary security risk...especially using older versions which have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system.Although, Java is commonly used in business environments and many VPN providers still use it, the average user does not need to install Java software.
- Why You don't need Java
- W3Techs usage statistics and market share data of Java on the web
- Java: should you remove it?

I recommend just uninstalling Java if you don't use it. How to Completely Remove Java Using JavaRa

#5 knotty panda

knotty panda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:43 PM

Apparently I did not make myself clear.  I used Avast until today.  MSE was disabled.  How MSE became enabled is a mystery to me.  Apparently when it became enabled it disabled the Avast firewall as a precaution.   

Can you tell me how MSE became enabled?  It is not something I did.  I am reluctant to delete a software which came preloaded especially when it can be disabled successfully.

Regarding Java, you're right, I don't know what it is and if is ok to delete, I will. 

Update:  The tutorial is for Version 2.0 of the Java Removal tool, however, when I download, I am presented with version 2.3 which does not perform as the tutorial demonstrates.  Is there a more current tutorial?

Thanks!

Edited by knotty panda, 13 November 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,796 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:41 PM

To turn on (enable) Microsoft Security Essentials you have to launch the program, click the "Settings" tab > Check the box next to "Real-time Protection" and click Save.

The JavaRA tutorial is made by the developer and the only one they have posted on their website. Despite there being a version difference, it should work essential the same as there is no noticable difference in the GUI. You can also use Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable instead.

#7 knotty panda

knotty panda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

I'm afraid I'm not making myself clear.  How did MSE become enabled?  I did not do it.

Can you tell me how MSE became enabled?  It is not something I did. 

Thanks!

Is that something you can determine?

Thanks!

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,796 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:06 PM

Then that makes two us not making things clear. The comments I posted means you have to manually turn MSE on by clicking the box next to "Real-time Protection" and click Save. If you did not do that, then I'm not sure how it became enabled...unless it did so automatically when removing avast...although I can't find any documentation to indicate that.

By removing avast, the Windows Firewall will be enabled. By default, MSE uses the Windows Firewall.

#9 knotty panda

knotty panda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:51 AM

Very odd!  Ok, I got it.  It's a glitch somewhere.  The MSE removal tool does not work for me.  It says I do not have administrator's rights.  If I turn off the MSE firewall, it shows it to be off, however, the MSE taskbar icons indicate the MSE firewalls are up, even after a reboot.  I can disable the Avast firewall and it stays off.  I guess I will have to limp along until this glitch gets tired of making me crazy. 

One, last, quick, question:  Avast said they saw AVG antivirus software on my computer.  I have never had that.  As you haven't mentioned AVG, I'm assuming you didn't see it.  Am I correct?

Thanks so much again for all your help!

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,796 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

If AVG was installed, Security Check would have found and listed it in the log.

avast may have detected remnants of AVG Security Toolbar and/or AVG Secure Search (created by the makers of AVG Anti-virus).

These are optional add-ons when installing their anti-virus product if you choose "Customized" install instead of "Express". However, AVG Security Toolbar and AVG Secure Search are also commonly bundled as an option with other free software users may download and install. Many folks overlook that option since it is pre-checked by default and they unknowingly install it. For example, the toolbar is bundled with PDFCreator.

This also explains how those who never used AVG anti-virus sometimes find Secure Search and the Security Toolbar installed.

If you're having issues removing MSE, see Uninstalling Microsoft Security Essentials by Stephen Boots.

#11 sandeepkudiyal

sandeepkudiyal

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:34 AM

Using more than one software firewall on a single computer is not advisable. Why? Using two firewalls could cause issues with connectivity to the Internet or other unexpected behavior. Further, running multiple software firewalls can cause conflicts that are hard to identify and troubleshoot. Only one of the firewalls can receive the packets over the network and process them. Sometimes you may even have a conflict that causes neither firewall to protect your connection. However, you can use a hardware-based firewall (a router) and a software firewall (i.e. Kerio, ZoneAlarm, Comodo, etc) in conjunction.

Therefore, before installing a 3rd-party firewall or an Internet Security Suite with a firewall, make sure you turn off the the Windows firewall

Note: In many cases the 3rd-party firewall or an Internet Security Suite will automatically turn off Windows built-in firewall in order to manage things but that does not always work as intended.

I prefer to just use Windows Firewall. See Choosing a Firewall

Please do the following...it will allow me to see what security programs are currently on your system.

Download SecurityCheck from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
Link 1
Link 2

• Ignore any warnings from your anti-virus if the tool is detected as a threat.
  • Double-click on SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • SecurityCheck will then start scanning your system...be patient and allow it to finish.
  • A Notepad document named checkup.txt should open automatically.
  • Copy and paste the contents of checkup.txt in your next reply.

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.79  
 Windows 7  x86 (UAC is enabled)  
 Out of date service pack!!
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
 Windows Firewall Enabled!  
avast! Internet Security   
 Antivirus up to date!   
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
 Java 7 Update 51  
 Adobe Flash Player     12.0.0.43  
 Adobe Reader 10.1.2 Adobe Reader out of Date!  
 Mozilla Firefox (25.0)
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````  
 AVAST Software Avast AvastSvc.exe  
 AVAST Software Avast AvastUI.exe  
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C:  
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,796 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:57 AM

:welcome: to BC sandeepkudiyal

If you have an issue or problem you would like to discuss, please start your own topic. Doing that will help to avoid the confusion that often occurs when trying to help two or more members at the same time in the same thread. Even if your problem is similar to the original poster's problem, the solution could be different based on the kind of hardware, software, system requirements, etc. you are using. Further, posting for assistance in someone else's topic is not considered proper forum etiquette.

Thanks for your cooperation.
The BC Staff

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users