Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting rid of Tube Dimmer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mishelle70

Mishelle70

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:26 PM

Hello,

I messed up and ended up downloading Visual Bee which I was able to remove thanks to this forum. However I still have this thing called Tube Dimmer which I can not get rid of. The AdwCleaner deleted the Visual Bee but is not picking up the Tube Dimmer.

Can anyone help me with this please? I use Mozilla FIrefox.

thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:49 AM

Most programs and many toolbars can be removed using Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Control Panel, so always check there first.

Alternatively, you can use a third-party utility like Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable and follow these instructions for using it. Revo will do a more thorough job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders.

If the program is not listed in Add/Remove or Programs and Features, and there is no uninstaller in the program's folder, the next place to check is your browser extensions and add-ons/plug-ins.There are also more suggestion in these articles:
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 Mishelle70

Mishelle70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:57 PM

Thank you for the reply. I still can not get rid of it. I can not even find it to get rid of it. I deleted it from my control panel. From the firefox add ons and rebooted. It still comes up on the bottom tool bar as running. I ran avast, adwcleaner and have tried deleting everything that looks suspious. Nothing is getting rid of this thing called Tube Dimmer.

I also reset firefox and I deleted my google chrome. I have only been using firefox.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

thanks!

Michelle

Edited by Mishelle70, 08 November 2013 - 09:58 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,734 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:25 PM

Please download and run RKill by Grinler. A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.

Important: Do not reboot your computer until you complete the next step.

Rerun AdwCleaner.exe.
Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.

• Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
  • After reviewing the log, click on the Clean button.
  • Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
  • Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
  • After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S1].txt) will open automatically.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.

-- Note: The contents of the AdwCleaner log file may be confusing. Unless you see a program name that you recognize and know should not be removed, don't worry about it. If you see an entry you want to keep, return to AdwCleaner before cleaning...all detected items will be listed (and checked) in each tab. Click on each one and uncheck any items you want to keep (except you cannot uncheck Chrome and Firefox preferences lines).

Please download Junkware Removal Tool thisisujrt.gif by thisisu and save it to your Desktop.

• Close all open programs and shut down any protection/security software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Double-click on JRT.exe to run the tool.
    Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log file named JRT.txt will automatically open and be saved to your Desktop.
  • Copy and paste the contents of JRT.txt in your next reply.

#5 Mishelle70

Mishelle70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:40 AM

Thanks again. This is unreal. I did all the above except download the Junkware. My avast kept telling me it was a potential threat and kept blocking it. This Tube Dimmer is still on the bottom toolbar and is running. Here is the AdwCleaner log.

# AdwCleaner v3.011 - Report created 09/11/2013 at 07:27:24
# Updated 03/11/2013 by Xplode
# Operating System : Windows Vista ™ Home Premium Service Pack 2 (32 bits)
# Username : Michelle - MICHELLE-PC
# Running from : C:\Users\Michelle\Downloads\AdwCleaner.exe
# Option : Clean

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Files / Folders ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

Value Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run [Updater]
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\AppDataLow\Software\DynConIE

***** [ Browsers ] *****

-\\ Internet Explorer v9.0.8112.16455

-\\ Mozilla Firefox v25.0 (en-US)

[ File : C:\Users\Michelle\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\r6ik4e2w.default\prefs.js ]

Line Deleted : user_pref("extensions.dynconff.cache.shell.windows.com.content", "<package expire=\"3600\" es=\"914\" pcdids=\"_1520_1164_1524_1146_1169_1348_1482_1493_1521\"><content id=\"MB_P1\">\r\n <newjs>\r\n <![...]
Line Deleted : user_pref("extensions.dynconff.cache.wordfinder.yourdictionary.com.content", "<package expire=\"3600\" es=\"914\" pcdids=\"_1520_1164_1524_1146_1169_1348_1482_1493_1521\"><content id=\"MB_P1\">\r\n <n[...]

AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [13072 octets] - [07/11/2013 20:14:47]
AdwCleaner[R1].txt - [1176 octets] - [07/11/2013 20:37:26]
AdwCleaner[R2].txt - [1168 octets] - [07/11/2013 21:14:28]
AdwCleaner[R3].txt - [1729 octets] - [09/11/2013 07:25:24]
AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [12863 octets] - [07/11/2013 20:19:41]
AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [1242 octets] - [07/11/2013 20:40:18]
AdwCleaner[S2].txt - [1234 octets] - [07/11/2013 21:30:22]
AdwCleaner[S3].txt - [1658 octets] - [09/11/2013 07:27:24]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S3].txt - [1718 octets] ##########

Of course like you said I am not sure what I am looking for but I don't see anything about Tube Dimmer.  I can not get rid of this. I also looked in my FireFox extensions and the Tube Dimmer appeared again. I keep removing it from the add ons and it keeps coming back.

Thanks again!

Michelle

Edited by Mishelle70, 09 November 2013 - 07:47 AM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,734 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:29 AM

Your AdwCleaner log shows the tool has been run several times. There may be an entry for Tube Dimmer in one of the previous runs...you will need to look at the logs.

You can ignore the detection of Junkware Removal Tool by avast...it is a false positive. JRT is safe.

My next suggestion would be to do this:
* Create a new profile within Firefox
* Remove the Firefox profile where you are having issues.

Another option would be to perform a clean Unininstall/Reinstall of Firefox.

1. Uninstall Firefox via Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, then reboot.

Alternatively, you can use a third-party utility like Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable which will perform a more thorough job of removal and follow these instructions for using it.

Uninstalling Firefox with the default options does not remove your user profile, which includes personal information such as bookmarks, passwords and cookies. If you also want to remove this information, you should remove the folder that contains your Firefox profile, which is stored in a separate location from the Firefox program.

Uninstalling Firefox

This step is only recommended if you want to completely remove Firefox from your system, and you do not want to save any of your data. This will remove your Firefox user profile data, which includes bookmarks, passwords, cookies, preference settings and added extensions.

Removing user profile data

2. Delete all of the following folders if they exist:

Windows 7:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Mozilla Firefox
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Extensions
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox

Windows XP:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Mozilla
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Extensions
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox

Note:
%AppData%\Mozilla\ <- Delete the Firefox subfolder in the Mozilla folder. If you don't have any other Mozilla applications (i.e. Seamonkey, Thunderbird), then it is safe to delete the entire Mozilla folder.
%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\ <- Delete the Firefox subfolder in the Mozilla folder. If you don't have any other Mozilla applications (i.e. Seamonkey, Thunderbird), then it is safe to delete the entire Mozilla folder.

-- If you cannot find some of the folder(s), you may have to reconfigure Windows to show hidden files, folders.

3. Reboot and reinstall Firefox.

#7 Mishelle70

Mishelle70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:38 AM

I can not thank you enough!! The Revo got rid of the Tube Dimmer. It attached itself to Skype. I deleted skype and firefox completely from my computer. My firefox kept crashing and the shockwave would not work so firefox is gone. So far so good!! Thank you!!

So now I am running off of Internet Explorer. Can you suggest which browser is better? I keep hearing that IE has a lot of security problems. My time online is pretty simple. Facebook, you tube, email, pay bills and general sites.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,734 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

I have always been partial to Firefox...but then I have never experienced any problems with it. I still know a lot of folks who prefer Internet Explorer so it's really a matter of personal preference.

All browsers are subject to exploits once vulnerabilities are discovered. These are usually patched quickly.

If you want to try something different, check out Avant Browser or Avant Browser Ultimate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users