Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

accidently downloaded YTdownloader

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fniggle

fniggle

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:13 AM

Hi Dudes,

I downloaded something that gave me YT-downloader with it.

I can't seem to Uninstall it as keeps telling me to "close Chrome browser" even though I had.

All the entries I've found online seems to be about how to remove the toolbar and I don't think I have that.

I just want the program gone completely.

I've downloaded the CCleaner and ran the analyzation and cleaning and it STILL seems to stick to my software...

Any Ideas?

It would be awesome!

EDIT: EVENTUALLY FIGURED OUT CCLEANER AND FOUND THE FILE AND REMOVED IT. HELP (hopefully) NO LONGER NEEDED

Edited by fniggle, 06 November 2013 - 07:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:09 PM

The correct way to remove most programs and many toolbars is to use Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Control Panel, so always check there first. Important! Reboot when done and delete the Program folder if it still exists.

Alternatively, you can use a third-party utility like Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable and follow these instructions for using it. Revo will do a more thorough job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders.

Keep in mind that not all programs show up in Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features. Some will have their own uninstaller, which can be found in the program's folder. This is by design as some vendors write installation routines so their program will not be included in the Add/Remove list. If the program is not listed in Add/Remove or Programs and Features, look for an uninstall icon (shortcut) from within its program group. Click on StartBtn.gif > All Programs (or Program Files), look for the program folder by name, open it and use the program's uninstaller. If it's not there, the next step would be to open Window's Explorer, manually navigate to the program's folder itself, look for an uninstaller file (i.e. uninstall.exe) and double-click on it to run.

In some cases you may need to use Microsoft Fix it: Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter to fix problems with programs that can't be installed or uninstalled.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 fniggle

fniggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:08 AM

Thank you for the quick respons :) though help is no longer required... for now ;-)

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,345 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:13 AM

You're welcome.

#5 Azlinkix

Azlinkix

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 22 September 2014 - 01:00 AM

I have a relatively similar problem.

I also have the YT downloader virus, and I've followed the suggested steps to

1. Go into safe mode.

2. Download rkill to possibly freeze the virus.

3. And ran malwarebtyes scan. <---- This did nothing.

4. Will be in the process of downloading CCleaner and will see if that does anything.

Any suggestions?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,345 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:53 AM

@ Azlinkix

If you need assistance, please start your own topic. Doing that will help to avoid the confusion that often occurs when trying to help two or more members at the same time in the same thread. Even if your problem is similar to the original poster's problem, the solution could be different based on the kind of hardware, software, system requirements, etc. you are using and the presence of other malware. Further, posting for assistance in someone else's topic is not considered proper forum etiquette.

Thanks for your cooperation.
The BC Staff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users