Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

YAC?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:03 AM

Anyone heard of YAC? I backed up my computer to an external harddrive and now there is some sort of menu bar on the bottom right just above the date/time. It has a green down arrow with KB/S next to it and a red up arrow with KB/S next to it. I've never seen this. When I hover over it it expands with information about downloading and uploading; information about which programs use the most memory; and which programs use the most bandwith.

What is this?

Thanks.

Edit: Moved topic from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs to the more appropriate forum, due to the absence of any malware logs present in the topic. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 622 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:11 PM

So, apparently it's iSafe. Is that an okay program or is it malware?

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,345 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

Are you sure YAC is related to i-SAFE?

What is i-SAFE e-Safety Education?

i-SAFE is a blended compliance enterprise solution that combines the power of technology, traditional curriculum and the influence of social media to educate and empower students through cutting-edge e-Safety education platforms. i-SAFE e-Safety education is designed to provide schools and school districts with comprehensive curriculum materials and learning platforms and tools for equipping students with the critical thinking and decision-making skills they need to be safe, responsible and technologically proficient cyber citizens in today’s global society and economy.

YAC: Yet Another Caller ID Program

YAC is a Caller ID system that uses the modem in your Windows-based computer to monitor incoming phone calls. When a phone call is received, YAC displays the Caller ID info on the computer screen.

Neither of these appear to be related to what you describe except for the name.

Did you check in Programs and Features (Add/Remove) for any new software installed? Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable allows you to view installed programs by installation date.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#4 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 622 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

Well, whatever is resting on the bottom right of my computer has the iSafe logo on it. This iSafe seems to be a computer security program. It wants to make changes to my startup. Startup is really really slow. Should I let it make the changes?

Thanks.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,345 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

No...I would use Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable to remove it.

#6 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 622 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

Thanks. Will do!

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,345 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

Not a problem. After that you may want to do the following.

Please download and run RKill by Grinler. A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.

Important: Do not reboot your computer until you complete the next step.

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
  • Double-click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
    Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
  • After reviewing the log, click on the Clean button.
  • Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
  • Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
  • After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.
-- Note: The contents of the AdwCleaner log file may be confusing. Unless you see a program name that you recognize and know should not be removed, don't worry about it. If you see an entry you want to keep, return to AdwCleaner before cleaning...all detected items will be listed (and checked) in each tab. Click on each one and uncheck any items you want to keep (except you cannot uncheck Chrome and Firefox preferences lines).

Please download Junkware Removal Tool thisisujrt.gif by thisisu and save it to your Desktop.
  • Close all open programs and shut down any protection/security software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Double-click on JRT.exe to run the tool.
    Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log file named JRT.txt will automatically open and be saved to your Desktop.
  • Copy and paste the contents of JRT.txt in your next reply.
These tools will search for and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, extensions, add-ons and other junkware as well as related registry entires (values, keys).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users