Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lightweight Antivirus?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 thegreatneedshelp

thegreatneedshelp

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:37 AM

Hello :) I have a PC which is just 1/2 year old and I am using BitDefender Total Security 2014 as an Antivirus .. but I sometimes use my laptop which is I think 6 - 8 years old and it is very slow and sometimes it hangs. I am using AVG Antivirus 2013 for that laptop and I think that it is the cause of the additional burden for my laptop. So what are antivirus programs that are lightweight and very effective? Because I don't think that MSE is effective because I was using MSE and it was not getting any virus but when I switched to AVG, it got some viruses. ( Im not after free antivirus only ) I need a lightweight but very effective antivirus :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:57 AM

Please see here and look at the 2nd post by quietman7 regarding help choosing an AV best for you.

Just what is it that you want to do?
We wanna be free to do what we wanna do 

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

My personal choice is ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#4 PrashantKumar96

PrashantKumar96

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

I prefer using Microsoft Security Essential, if on Windows 7 or earlier and Windows Defender on Windows 8 as they both are free as well as most lightweight. MSE with Windows Firewall is decent security suite which you can have for free. For paid, you can go with anyone you like, quietman7 suggested his choice & I have mine. If you are looking for effective and lightweight antivirus then you may like av-comparatives.org's test results, they test software on the basis of both performance and detection, open both and choose one among the top ones.

Edited by PrashantKumar96, 24 October 2013 - 01:34 PM.

#5 thegreatneedshelp

thegreatneedshelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:10 PM

thanks for the replies guys but should it be eset nod32 or can it be eset smart security? because i saw the comparison of nod32 and smart security an nod32 is nothing to smart security's specs. I was also planning to install kaspersky pure 3.0 but is it a lightweight antivirus?  PrashantKumar .. what can you suggest for paid antivirus?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,719 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:18 PM

ESET Smart Security is a full-scale security suite includes antivirus, firewall, spam filter, parental control, and privacy protection.

I'm not an advocate of suites. All-in-one tools and suites generally use more system resources than separate programs that do the same task. They tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses for each feature. In contrast, separate tools are designed, built and maintained with a greater focus in a specific area so they are generally of better quality and more effective at what they are designed to do. This means the program's performance for that particular feature is usually superior than their all-in-one counterpart. Further, all-in-one tools generally do not allow the user as much flexibility in tailoring default settings and usage.

I just use ESET NOD32 with Windows built-in firewall.

#7 thegreatneedshelp

thegreatneedshelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:32 PM

ahh ok :) but now i have just read the av-comparatives.org's test results .. im just choosing between eset and kaspersky .. clearly it states that kaspersky is one of the lightest av but it is only kaspersky av not kaspersky pure 3.0 :( .. i need comparison of kaspersky pure 3.0 with other av products :(

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,719 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

There are several labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, etc.These kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results. Read Anti-virus Testing Websites: An overview of testing sites

#9 Darktune

Darktune

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

but now i have just read the av-comparatives.org's test results

Don't always take the word of antivirus testing websites. They use different methods of testing anti virus software although it states that one is more performance friendly than another it might not be the case given your computer usage and specifications. 

Just what is it that you want to do?
We wanna be free to do what we wanna do 

#10 thegreatneedshelp

thegreatneedshelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:32 PM

the specs of my laptop are:
Intel Core 2 Duo / Centrino Duo
500 Gb HDD
1.00GB Ram
Graphics Card- Im Not Sure About the Brand :)

the Specs are very low because it is very old and its made for Vista but it hard disk failed before and was reformatted with genuine Windows 7 Starter and not it is very slow :( Im not sure if Core 2 Duo and Centrino Duo is the same because in my laptop there is a sticker/ brand of Centrino duo but in my Computer properties it says Core 2 Duo

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,719 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

If your computer/browser seems to be slow, please refer to Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware.

There are various reasons for slowness and poor performance - i.e. disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, too many browser add-ons/plug-ins, extensions, toolbars, failure to clear browser cache, not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. As you use your system it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down and behave oddly so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential. Incompatible browser extensions and add-ons can impact system performance and cause compatibility issues such as application hangs (freezing).

#12 thegreatneedshelp

thegreatneedshelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

yeah i knew that.. i just finished defragmenting yesterday, removed most of my startup programs , i have no extensions :) i just need a light weight antivirus and an effective one also

#13 thegreatneedshelp

thegreatneedshelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:16 PM

is kaspersky pure a lightweight antivirus? because now im only choosing from eset nod32 of kaspersky pure... 

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,719 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

I have not read anything which claims Kaspersky Pure is lightweight.

Along with ESET NOD32, Panda Cloud Antivirus is another one considered lightweight and its free so if its not to your liking you will not be wasting any money.

#15 thegreatneedshelp

thegreatneedshelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:58 PM

but.. which is more effective eset nod32 or panda ? because im already downloading eset nod32 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users