Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop always freezing when connected to the internet.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sammy B. J. V.

Sammy B. J. V.

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:35 PM

So this isn't exactly my problem, but a friend of mine has it. She's also pretty stubborn about it and refuses to do anything about it.

So a couple of weeks ago she started having issues with her Fujitsu laptop, every time she connected it to the internet it started working really slow, up to the point where it wouldn't even open files or documents. But as long as it wasn't connected to the internet it was working normally. So once day I finally convinced her to take it to F10, a small computer shop in Mozirje (we both live in Slovenia and Mozirje is a smaller town here). They found out it was a small sub-program that caused the laptop to freeze every time it had internet access, they also ran a few anti virus programs and found no viruses. A few days after she got it back it was working normally.

Then about 3 days ago it started freezing again, but only during noon for some odd reason, during morning and evening it was working normally. Now she outright refuses to take it back to F10 to get it fixed.

Also, every time her laptop freezes or if she's just plain pissed off she pretty much beats on her laptop keyboard, slams it shut, opens it again a few seconds after that, hard enough to almost rip off the screen, beats on the keyboard again because her laptop is still not working and then slams it shut again and throws it on her bed.

So now I've been trying to tell her that her hitting her laptop might also be the cause of it as well as her generally treating her laptop like it's worthless. And I've also been wondering what might be the cause for her laptop to act like that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:03 AM

"They found out it was a small sub-program that caused the laptop to freeze every time it had internet access"

Any information on this sub-program.

I have a 2 year old Fujitsu Laptop (Lifebook) and have no problems with wired or wifi access.

#3 Sammy B. J. V.

Sammy B. J. V.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

Well, no. I wasn't even there when she went to pick up her laptop, and the only thing she remembered was that whenever the sub-program had internet access it either started accepting or sending files.

Yesterday she came over to my place so I could somehow transfer some of her files on a USB stick. At first I turned it on in normal mode, it was working okay for a few seconds and then started freezing up. Then I thought maybe it was another problem with the internet so I turned off her laptop, turned off my rooter, turned her laptop back on and it froze again. So then I turned it on in safe mode and was able to transfer some of her files on a USB stick. 

If I had more knowledge about computers I would've looked into the problem myself, but I'm afraid that I'd mess something up if I did.

As a small side information, I noticed that the whole freezing thing started around a month after she asked me to download iTunes on her laptop, i have iTunes on both my PC with Windows 7 and laptop with Windows XP and they never froze like that. Except recently my laptop freezes up randomly so I have to turn it off and on again, but since it's really old and I'm getting a new one soon I won't even bother to get it fixed.

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:43 AM

Thanks for all the information, it's useful to have the full picture.
I agree it is not helpful to throw the laptop around, however robust it is supposed to be.

Initial thoughts are to check for malware, run the diagnostics, run checkdisk and run the system file checker, 
although you would think the laptop should be OK, if it has already been looked at in the shop.

Itunes can cause problems, may be a good idea to reinstall.

May even be something as simple as your antivirus program.  McAfee and Norton can be suspect, sometimes AVG.
Try a different one, e.g. Avast, Avira, or Microsoft Security Essentials.

When all else fails, reinstall the Operating System and get a fresh start. 
As you have backed up the personal data, the time spent reinstalling the OS and programs may well be worth it.
Sometimes it's quicker to do that, rather than spend days/weeks hunting for solutions. 

Other more experienced members may consider more serious investigations are necessary.

#5 Sammy B. J. V.

Sammy B. J. V.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:59 AM

The laptop had Avast Antivirus at first, but after she took it to the shop to get it fixed they un-installed Avast Anti Virus and installed a different Anti Virus program.

When it first started freezing up I ran a virus check with Avast Antivirus and it didn't find anything, I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in my earlier reply that they ran several antivirus programs at the shop and didn't find anything either. She also has a few games installed on her laptop, it's mostly Sims 3 with all of the expansion and stuff packs. I have Sims 3 on my PC as well, but they never caused my PC to act out like that, she had them ever since she got her laptop, which was about 2 years ago.

She once got her uncle, who knows more about computers that I do, to look at her problem and he said that it's either something with the OS or a mechanical error. She once had to take it to Point in Velenje so they could replace the fan.

A while ago I had McAfee on my laptop, but every time it tried to run a virus check it froze up my laptop, so I un-installed it and my laptop didn't freeze for half a year after that. Now it just freezes up randomly, I think it's mostly because it's already about 5 years old, perhaps ever older, and from the Toshiba Satellite series.

#6 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:39 AM

My preference would be a reinstall of the OS and possibly a memory upgrade, if this hasn't been done previously, on both laptops, perhaps. You could do yours, at your leisure, if you are buying a new one.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Toshibas, all computers start to get a bit creaky with age, however well maintained they are.

Fortunately, laptops with very acceptable specs, no longer break the bank.

#7 Sammy B. J. V.

Sammy B. J. V.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

I'm not really sure if it's true or not that Toshiba isn't doing well right now, apparently I got mine when they were one of the best laptops.

The only time I took my laptop back to the shop was when 2 of my 3 USB ports broke, the repair would have cost way more than a new laptop, so I bought myself a PC instead of a laptop, but now that I need my laptop a lot in school I'm planning on buying a new laptop, although I'm still not sure what laptop I'll buy.

Although on my laptop I still have around 145GB of free space on my D drive and 30GB on my C drive. So I'll just use it for movies.

#8 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:56 AM

Overheating can also cause freezing. Blow out the dust!

Use Speccy to test temperature (Portable version here):

You can ask for suggestions for a new laptop in the Forum, Hardware, Q & A for buying a new computer.

#9 Sammy B. J. V.

Sammy B. J. V.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

Update on my friend's laptop:

She got it back earlier today and they said that she broke her hard drive, which caused all those freeze-ups, had a lot of cat hair in the cooling components and 3 loose screws just freely rolling around inside her laptop.

In something less than 230 days she turned it off and on around 4800 times.

They're now going to replace the hard drive and I have to figure out a way to keep her from beating on her keyboard all the time and throwing it around like it's a ball.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users