Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 d1halu

d1halu

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

Anybody upgrade to 8.1? Is it good? Any bug? I would like to know more about it before I jump into it...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 1,218 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

My son just upgraded from the 8.1 demo version. It moved all of his existing programs into windows.old folder. They're retrievable, but it's a pain to get them all back.

#3 mcleod55

mcleod55

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:44 PM

I am downloading the update now.

#4 roll

roll

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:18 AM

I recommend wait for a little while and not hurry to upgrade.

#5 calden

calden

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:36 AM

Download of 3.25gb took about 20 minutes to download on SSD but do take into account I am on high speed cable.

A couple of apps were incompatible but easily rectified by updating to latest versions.

Quite impressed with the new setup which gives an option to save all settings in the cloud including documents and photos.

It would appear this 8.1 version is considerably lighter as the upgrade resulted in 9GB extra on my SSD.

Edited by calden, 18 October 2013 - 06:39 AM.

#6 Philwell3

Philwell3

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:25 PM

My compute r ask if I wanted to down load windows 8.1 I said ok .Six and half hours later still looking at a blank dark screen with a slow mouse nothing else . How long do I wait ?

#7 mcleod55

mcleod55

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:01 PM

Anybody upgrade to 8.1? Is it good? Any bug? I would like to know more about it before I jump into it...

I did and I wish I could put Windows 7 on this computer but am told I can not.

#8 mtfeeney

mtfeeney

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:27 AM

I did and I wish I could put Windows 7 on this computer but am told I can not.

Why can't you install Windows 7?  If the computer can run Win8, Win7 should be fine.

#9 Zcar

Zcar

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:47 PM

Upgraded to 8.1 on two computers.  Aside from a sleep mode issue on one of them the upgrade was without issues and everything is functioning.

#10 MJPRCE

MJPRCE

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:38 PM

I had plenty of issues unfortunately.

This upgrade of theirs was more of an insult to intelligence than anything else, and I should so badly have seen it coming, but I fell right into it like a flipping moron.

Here are the things I discovered on my less than six month old system having upgraded from 8 to 8.1 via the marketplace - where dragons be, and 8.1 was one of 'em.

For a start off, it demands an MS account. I immediately don't like anything that asks me straight away for any account and demands that I be online simply to log into my system.

I noticed that unless I automatically connect to the internet on starting up, I'm actually increasing the amount of time it takes for me to get into MY desktop, with MY files and MY settings. Not Microsoft's, but mine. I wish they would realize these are ultimately our computers they are borking with these stupid ideas of theirs.

The start button was not impressive, it was just a simple matter of removing the big clunky start screen hot corner picture, and replacing it with something that "looks" like a start button on the taskbar. This has to be one of the most pointless tweaks to the upgrade that really hits home after the online account login malarky.

The new Start screen was nothing amazing, nothing short of what I'm already looking at when I'm looking at a phone. This is not a phone, it's a computer. Why do this? Its looking better, sure but I'm not going to spend most of my day looking at the start screen so why should it bother me whether my icons are wide, big, medium or small?

But these things were not the brunt of my problems, in fact that was more of a critique on the upgrade thus far than the REAL problem I got with the upgrade.

I found it didn't like my wireless mouse. It also didn't like my USB device when I so desperately wanted to go back to Windows 8 - which I've just managed to do, but it's still rife with problems now that I have reverted back to windows 8. Sure the mouse works on the desktop, in daily use applications - like Office or just in browsing through the Explorer. But that's pretty much IT.

I did notice, almost immediately on loading a favourite game of mine, that the left mouse button was only firing when it chose to - like some gremlin was hiding in there and saying "my turn", "Ok your turn now"...and then getting really angry and going "my turn now!" and firing off all the ammo in a rifle (actually I was firing a plane's cannons - at which point shortly thereafter I was shot to hell -because I had no ammo left!).

Then there's skype. Well it worked in so much that it would let me see them and them see me. But the microphone wasn't working properly. I tried all manner of things to get the in-built microphone to work, and it simply was not having it. And I've never had much in the way of problems in getting Skype to work before....until yesterday whilst getting stressed at the mess this upgrade really was.

Then when closing the call where I could see them and they could see me (actually it was my Mom ha). . .I tried getting in touch with my girlfriend, currently back at her mother's and not returning for another two weeks. The camera thought it had had enough for the day, sod you, I'm not working ever again...and that was it. It then decided to tell me upon a retry, that the microphone wasn't functioning properly. So I spent hours trying to find the problem, updating where I could. And I could not get the damn thing to work at all.

I have to say....Microsoft need to stop consuming whatever it is that they're consuming to come up with these hair-brained half-arsed upgrades, and stick to working with 7 when it comes to computer OS's.

That was more of a rant after a while, sorry about that.

I should point out it's not very good ultimately. I had to revert because of the problems I had amassed - including an almost 140% increase in boot time - and frankly....I am now actually at the point after over 20 years as an MS OS user, of getting fed up of the devil that I knew once, but now don't know and don't wish to know. That's how well it went for me :)

#11 roll

roll

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:00 AM

Windows RT has a problem running 8.1. 

#12 Chuts

Chuts

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:41 PM

Always, always, always make a full disc backup before doing an update like 8 to 8.1

My update to 8.1 has one of the reported bugs where right at the very end of the update, the Metro tiles show briefly then a messages says "Logging Off".  It logs off back to the login screen.  When I log in again I get a blank screen.

I'm staying with 8 for now.

Btw, I use Acronis True Image to make a full disc backup.

#13 hfmstde

hfmstde

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

I upgraded from windows 8 to 8.1 and it is running fine. An issue I had was that an on-screen keyboard appeared on my log-on screen, but vanished if I touched any key on my "real" keyboard. This did not respond to the usual ease of access - it was not turned on from there, but I found (I think) that my Wacom Bamboo software was causing it. I re-installed it, but asked for compatability troubleshooting, saying it worked in W7 and the keyboard no longer appears.

I agree with the previous post - do get a good backup. Incidentally, Acronis True Image 2014 now remembers settings like full backup instead of selecting incremental every time, and to validate as each backup is done, which my earlier 2013 Acronis did not do.

I used start 8 in Windows 8, and it developed an issue with 8.1 - declaring I had activated beyond the acceptable number of times, but I complained to Stardock through their ticket system, and they reset it for me

I don't really use the Metro start, but the system is a solid one. Microsoft could have saved a lot of hostility by asking one simpe question during setup - do you have a tablet or desktop PC, and letting users choose whether they want metro or not. simples!

#14 mr.meyer

mr.meyer

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:16 PM

I upgraded to 8.1 from 8.  Thank God I had an image of 8, after many problems (as those above) I reloaded win 8 from image.

I hope, in a year or so, to try again, perhaps Microsoft will see the error of their ways by that time.

#15 hfmstde

hfmstde

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

I can understand that - when I first tried W8 I was lost, and amazed that anyone could have produced such an abortion. I quickly reloaded w7, and left it. Then Start 8 came along, and I tried again and stayed with it. I kept my W7 backups. I knew I was not going back when I wiped them

Hidden under the terrible metro interface there are some worthwhile features - I like the idea of a refresh, a custom refresh, and being able to quickly check whether the system files are damaged through DISM - but I have an idea this was available in w7 but I had never heard of it. I like the way the system senses that an application has not run properly and pops up, that disks are monitored and maintained.

The pathetic "return" of the start button is the other side of the coin. I am amazed that a multi million enterprise like micrsoft finds it so hard to just listen to its customers. Someone in charge just cannot accept they made a mistake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users