Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dllhost.exe process issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 enigma1992

enigma1992

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

Hello.

I have this Dllhost.exe issues for about two monthes now - Every several minutes the process (dllhost.exe) memory get's very high so I cannot see the files in my folders (Videos and Pictures) and computer is very slow. I tried to run Kaspersky and Malwarebytes scans but none of them solve it.

Hope to find here the answer.

Thanks you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• Members
  • 412 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

Unfortunately, thisa known issue and it could be caused by a number of things. Microsoft tends to insist it's malware related, but in fact it could be a number of things causing it. Read through the post and see if any of these sound familiar: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_programs/windows-vista-dllhostexe-high-cpu-usage/3b4a55e0-66e9-4862-aead-75938c1398d5

It seems Windows attempts to create thumbnails for sound and/or video files is a fairly common cause for this problem.

#3 enigma1992

enigma1992
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:57 AM

I read the post you sent but I didn't find any answer there.

I think I know what causes the problem, after I read this : http://www.engineeredentropy.com/2013/03/dllhost-exe-high-processor-usage/

A few weeks ago I started downloading videos from youtube and convert them to AVI or WMV I think it's somehow related.

What do you say ?

Edited by enigma1992, 18 October 2013 - 04:22 AM.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• Members
  • 412 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:45 AM

Based on what's in the post I sent you, yes. Windows is attempting to create thumbnails for those media files and the process is getting hung up. This appears to be a known issue with no known Microsoft fix. Based on the post, you need to find and kill the process that causing the problem:

1. Use Procexp from sysinternals (or similar) to see what DLLHost.exe is actually running - you can see this by looking at the properties of the DLLHost.exe process, and seeing what the command line is. In my case, the command line contained the GUID {AB8902B4-09CA-4bb6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} that corresponded to the "Thumbnail Cache Out of Proc Server".

2. In Procexp, see what handles are opened by the DllHost.exe. In my case, one of the handles was pointing to the errant WMV file. I killed DLLHost.exe, renamed the file to an unknown extension, and that solved the problem, since DllHost.exe no longer attempted to generate the thumbnail for this file.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users