Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Windows Live Mail Causing Password Problems...???

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

Gentlepersons,

I currently use Windows Live Mail as my e-mal program. I've been using it for several years without a problem...until lately. For the last several months, I have been having problems with my e-mail password being changed ON THE MAIL SERVER (or so it seems). Since July, there have been five occasions when I start up Windows Live Mail, and I get the message that my password is invalid. Windows Live gives me the option of having the program remember my password so that I don't have to manually enter it every time, and this is how I normally use it. However, after this had happened several times, and I had to go into the Road Runner "Selfcare" section to reset and enter a new password, I decided to use the manual entry method to enter the password. I reasoned that if there was a problem with the computer that was causing the saved password to get scrambled, I would get around this by manually entering the password.

No difference. Yesterday, I was able to retrieve my e-mail in the morning when I started up the computer, but in the afternoon I started Windows Live again and after manually entering the password, I got the message again that the password was  invalid. So I reset the password once again and continued on.

I called the Road Runner e-mail tech support line and was told that they couldn't really do anything if I wasn't currently experiencing the problem, but they suggested that I either uninstall Windows Live Mail and then reinstall it, or download a different e-mail program to see if the new program has the same problem.

Can I get some opinions from the rest of you as to how to proceed from here in a logical manner?

Thanks,

Bob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MzLindyOne

MzLindyOne

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

Assuming here that RoadRunner would have said if there was spam being sent from the account...

Log in at webmail.roadrunner.com and check Sent mail there.  Someone could be using it to send non-spam and this would not appear in your client on your computer.

Do you have any signs that someone might be reading your email?  By this I mean has anyone mentioned anything in person or elsewhere in public that you thought was restricted to private email with another person?  Also is anyone claiming to have gotten email from you that you know you didn't send?

If the process for resetting your password involves answering security questions, change one of them to a random wrong answer - be sure to write that down even if you think you'll remember - and see if the problem continues.  Someone could know you well enough to put in the real correct answers, and they would have to change the password to get in to read your email, the same way you do.

#3 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

Lindy,

I logged into Web Mail and checked things out, but did not see anything that did not look proper as far as the messages that were on the server, so i don't think that any Spam is being sent from there.

When a reset password operation is performed, I get an email telling me that the password has been changed, and the only time that I've received one of these emails is when I have executed the reset operation myself,  so I don't think that anyone else is getting in and messing around.

I still think that this is a Road Runner mail server problem, but I guess I'll have to wait until the problem shows up again and then give tech support a call at that time.

Bob

#4 MzLindyOne

MzLindyOne

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

Bob, what continues to make me suspicious here is that there are very few complaints similar to yours anywhere else on the web.

That said, the next time it happens try logging in via webmail before doing the reset or calling tech support.  If that is working, it probably is a server problem - still worth the tech call.

Have a nice holiday. B)

#5 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

When the password problem cropped up one time before, I decided to go onto Web Mail and read my mail there. I could not log onto Web Mail because the Web Mail server said that my password was incorrect. So the password was not accepted from either the Windows Live Mail program, or from me when I attempted to go onto Web Mail directly. This is what makes me think that the problem is somehow being caused by Road Runner, but I wanted to ask the question here in case there might be some subtlety with Windows Live that I was not aware of.

Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users