Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Touchpad not working or showing up in Bios, Lenovo Thinkpad E420.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 lsstal01

lsstal01

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

So not even sure this is the right forum since i'm not even sure what the problem is. But long story short I dropped my Lenovo Edge E420 (5 feet onto concrete). The only damage was cosmetic (screen bezel, palm rest, hinges, top case) anyways I ordered the parts and replaced them. I replaced the top case and bezel since my new palmrest hadn't come in yet. When I hooked everything back up (including my broken but functional palmrest/touchpad assembly the touchpad, fingerprint scanner, and trackpoint no longer function.

I hoped it was just a damaged part so I waited till the new palm rest came in. It did today, and I replaced it but it didn't rectify the problem. The weird thing is the trackpoint and touchpad do not share cables and the keyboard works fine. The touchpad/ fingerprint. trackpoint is not showing up in the device manager or bios. I'm running 64 bit Windows 7. I tried updating my synaptics drivers, updating bios but can't get anything to work, or even show that its connected. I'm almost thinking it has to be a software thing since the touchpad and trackpoint are not physically connected. Help? Thanks! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yougotdslapd

yougotdslapd

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:15 AM

Go to Device Manager. Is there anything under biometric devices or anything with a yellow exclamation mark? Is there anything under the mouse category? Ultimately we are looking for whether windows is detecting these devices or not.

University at Buffalo - Computer Science Major

#3 lsstal01

lsstal01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:47 AM

Nope no sign of the anything in device manager and no exclamation marks. All that shows up is my key board and usb mouse. 

#4 yougotdslapd

yougotdslapd

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:01 AM

So that would point to a faulty connection. Are these devices connected by internal USBs or what? Maybe they're in the wrong slots.

#5 lsstal01

lsstal01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

They connect straight to the mb through ribbon cables. The trackpoint is connected through the keyboard which is completely different cables and the rest of the keyboard is working fine, and the status indicator light runs off the touchpad cable and it is working fine. There really is only one slot it can go into. 

#6 yougotdslapd

yougotdslapd

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Edge-S-series/Lenovo-Thinkpad-Edge-Touchpad-Not-working/td-p/570491

Seems like a hardware issue.

#7 lsstal01

lsstal01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

Hmm. So i was digging around some more and I was able to  find the "Thinkpad UltraNav Pointing Device" in device manager once i clicked show hidden devices. In the properties it says "This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)

#8 yougotdslapd

yougotdslapd

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

Perfect! So first, try this. Where you see the touchpad in device manager, right click on it, click uninstall, and select Ok. Do check the box saying "delete drivers", just uninstall the driver. Then reboot your computer and see if it works and report back.

#9 lsstal01

lsstal01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:41 PM

Nope, still doesn't work. Now its showing up as "P/S2 Compatible Mouse" with the yellow exclamation mark in the device manager. 

#10 yougotdslapd

yougotdslapd

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

So reinstall this driver: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-66898

#11 lsstal01

lsstal01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:57 PM

And now its back to "ThinkPad UltraNav Pointing Device" with the yellow exclamation point.   :smash:

#12 yougotdslapd

yougotdslapd

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

:smash: That's annoying! I assume it is being shown after you enable "Show Hidden Devices," correct? 

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Edge-S-series/Touchpad-and-trackpointer-do-not-work-at-all/td-p/1188515

They got no help for the same problem...that sucks. 

Okay so here are my ideas:

1.) The hardware is not completely attached to the motherboard (ie. the ribbon cable connectors haven't been firmly connected so there is a loose connection)

2.) BIOS needs to be updated to the latest to recognize the devices

3.) The hardware is faulty.

"I'm almost thinking it has to be a software thing since the touchpad and trackpoint are not physically connected."
Does this mean that not all of the devices attached to the palmrest are conected? If so, connect them all, and double check the connections.

#13 lsstal01

lsstal01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:24 PM

Thanks for trying to help! I updated bios and no luck. And what i meant is that the trackpoint (the red eraser mouse) is connected only to the keyboard which is working fine. Where as the touchpad runs off a totally different cable to the motherboard. Which is why its so odd, if it were hardware I thought it would be unlikely both happened to go out at the same time. And thanks for the link! Glad to know I'm not the only one with this issue. My computer is identical to his unit and is the same age, glad its not just my own stupidity. 

Edited by lsstal01, 08 October 2013 - 07:32 PM.

#14 yougotdslapd

yougotdslapd

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:31 PM

Of course it's my pleasure! But this is old hardware that worked before you took off the wrist rest right?

#15 lsstal01

lsstal01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:15 PM

Yep it was the original touchpad assembly that was working fine. I thought i might have damaged it so i replaced it with a used one from ebay that said was working. The keyboard/trackpoint are the original and were also working before being disconnected and put back together. 

Edited by lsstal01, 08 October 2013 - 11:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users