Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adware 2

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dominicus

Dominicus

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

I have a 3 day old HP Pavilion Laptop and I downloaded winamp. After the download the pre installed Norton Antivirus said that two Adware 2's were detected and required manual removal. It lists the threat as high. It doesn't give me an option to remove but links me to their Internet site where it tells me that the threat is very low. Huh?! I am currently doing a full scan with Malwarebytes.
What is Adware2? Why did I get it from Winamp? And how do I remove if?

My new laptops OS is Windows 8

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 6,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

From reading in one of Winamp's forums it is likely Open Candy that is being described by Norton as Adware 2.

MBAM may remove it if you allowed it to scan for and remove PUPs...potentially unwanted programs.

If MBAM doesn't remove it, use the two programs below.

AdwCleaner Download

Junkware Removal Tool Download

Today, almost all free programs offer some adware program. Some allow you to choose not to install and others

do not. According to what I read you missed the chance to deny the install of the adware.

Even if MBAM removes the adware I would still recommend using the other two programs to find and remove

any adware that came with the new computer.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#3 Dominicus

Dominicus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:49 PM

I declined almost all the stupid options they offered during the installation process. Ill definitely try out those other removal tools.
I'm looking at my screen right now and Malwarebytes has detected 3 potential malware/spyware. After the scan is complete ill see what happens.
Thank you sir.

#4 Dominicus

Dominicus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

These were the 3 things Malwarebytes detected.

C:\Users\Dominicus\AppData\Local\Temp\nsp7717.tmp\OCSetupHlp.dll (PUP.Optional.OpenCandy) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Dominicus\Downloads\microsoft security essentials setup.exe (PUP.Optional.Soft32.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Dominicus\Downloads\winamp565_full_emusic-7plus_en-us.exe (PUP.Optional.OpenCandy) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 6,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:47 PM

Be sure to disable/ exit any active antispyware and antivirus program before scanning with those two programs.

Some security programs can interfere with their scans for and removal of unwanted programs.

Edited by buddy215, 18 September 2013 - 03:57 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:58 PM

OpenCandy is an advertising application distributed by the OpenCandy Software Network which displays ads in other programs. The use of advertisement is a way to promote software packages and recover development costs. The OpenCandy FAQs answers many questions users may have about this product.

OpenCandy is technically not installed on a computer, does not collect personally identifiable information and in most cases allows the user to choose whether or not to install advertised software recommended by the vendor. Although no personal information is collected, the software does collect anonymous statistics about events and other data during installation. See What information does OpenCandy collect?

This is what OpenCandy has to say about their product.

OpenCandy provides a plug-in that developers include in their software to earn money by showing recommendations for other software in their installers. Developers use this money to keep their software free and invest in further software development. The installer uses the OpenCandy plug-in to present a software recommendation...during installation. You have complete control to accept the software recommendation by selecting either the “Install” or “Do not install” options on the software recommendation screen.

What is OpenCandy?

The OpenCanday network has partnered with various popular and trusted software developers who bundle their product as part of the program's software installation package. A list of such developers can be found here. Some vendors will clearly advise the use of OpenCandy before downloading their software, while others may provide confusing or no information at all. An example would be SIW (System Information for Windows) which clearly indicates on their website the use of OpenCandy.

OpenCandy is an advertising application.

OpenCandy is similar to Google AdSense, except it displays advertisements in installation program instead of websites. These advertisements promote another software packages. The advertisements are selected by providers of software being installed. When user installing a software (SIW) chooses to install promoted package, revenue is generated and shared between OpenCandy and software providers (SIW developers).

SIW Home Edition is bundled with OpenCandy

OpenCandy is not a virus or malware. However, since it is responsible for displaying advertisements, it may be detected (and sometimes removed) by various anti-virus and other security scanning tools as a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) or Adware, a classification that broadly defines the term as any software package which automatically displays advertisements in any form in order to generate revenue. For example, the Microsoft Malware Protection Center (MMPC) detects the program as Adware:Win32/OpenCandy, an adware program that might be bundled with other installers.

In response to this detection, OpenCandy has provided the following information:IMO, removal of OpenCandy detections is an optional choice. I have provided the information so you can make an informed decision as whether to remove it or not.

How do I uninstall OpenCandy?
Since OpenCandy does not permanently install anything on your computer, there is nothing to uninstall. Our technology was selected by a developer and runs temporarily in their downloads which you may have selected and run. The plug-in shows an app recommendation and is designed to self-delete from your computer when it has finished operating. If you are concerned that something extraordinary resulted in any remnant traces being left on your computer, you may download and run our small clean-up utility to ensure all OpenCandy traces which are regularly self-deleted, are in fact gone.

Note: The file name for the cleanup utility is OCCleanupTool.zip
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:07 PM

WS.Adware.2

Symantec...A file detected by this detection name is a type of adware program. Adware is a type of program that facilitates delivery for advertising content to the user, and in some cases gathers information from the user's computer, including information related to Internet browser usage or other computer habits...

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users