Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Helper 3.1 Toolbar

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Defpony

Defpony

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

I accidentally downloaded Internet Helper 3.1 toolbar, trying to download iobit uninstaller to uninstall norton. I hit an ad by accident and downloaded it along with "default tab" "free download manage 3.8" "my pc backup" "pc health kit v 3.2" and "search protect by conduit." I restored the computer to a previous date and it seemed to get rid of the others except for "default tab" and "internet helper 3.1 toolbar"

I installed iobit uninstaller and uninstalled both the default tab and internet helper 3.1 but after i restarted the computer, the int helper toolbar was still there. i then uninstalled firefox. 

I googled and it's a nasty virus. I used iobit to uninstall, only i didn't realize i was using the programs's uninstaller. I never used iobit's registry clean feature. And now I don't know what to do because it is not showing in my programs and files folder on control panel.

Being that this is a virus, i'm assuming my problem is not gone. 

This is a brand new computer and I fear I've already caused problems. Kaspersky isn't picking anything up, probably because I allowed the download to happen, when I thought I was downloading iobit.

I am not very computer savvy. Any help would be appreciated! 

I am on Windows 8.

Edit: Moved topic from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs to the more appropriate forum, due to the absence of any malware logs included in the topic. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

Toolbars and Add-ons can usually be removed via Add/Remove Programs or the Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7/8, so always check there first.

If the program is not listed in Add/Remove or Programs and Features, and there is no uninstaller in the program's folder, the next place to check is your browser Add-ons.

To reset the browser search engine in Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome, please refer to:

To reset the browser home page in Internet Explorer, please refer to:

-- If using Firefox, Google Chrome or Opera, please refer to:

To reset or restore all browser settings in Internet Explorer, please refer to:

How to reset Internet Explorer settings (all versions) using

fixit_logo.png to automatically reset registry keys and the browser back to default.

-- If using Firefox or Google Chrome, please refer to:

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,719 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

If you want to try using some specialized fix tools first, then do this:

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
    Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
  • Click on the Clean button.
  • Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
  • Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
  • After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.
-- Note: The contents of the log file may be confusing. Unless you see a program name that you know should not be removed, don't worry about it. If you see an entry you want to keep, return to AdwCleaner before cleaning...all detected items will be listed (and checked) in each tab. Click on each one and uncheck any items you want to keep (except you cannot uncheck Chrome and Firefox preferences lines).

Please download Junkware Removal Tool thisisujrt.gif and save it to your Desktop.
  • Close all open programs and shut down any protection/security software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Double-click on JRT.exe to run the tool.
    Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log file named JRT.txt will automatically open and be saved to your Desktop.
  • Copy and paste the contents of JRT.txt in your next reply.
Note: Even after running these tools you still may need to reset some browser settings.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 5,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

Use this free program first:  AdwCleaner Download

If that doesn't solve the problem then use these two free programs.

SUPERAntiSpyware.com - AntiAdware, AntiSpyware, AntiMalware!

Free ESET Online Antivirus Scanner

Clean up the temporary files, logs, etc with Ccleaner. No need to use the registry cleaner tool and it might cause a problem.

Be sure to pay attention during install and UNcheck the install of the Yahoo Toolbar or other.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#5 Defpony

Defpony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:33 PM

So is this a virus? What is it exactly?

#6 Defpony

Defpony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

Another website said this:

We had an individual that had gotten the InternetHelper accidentally installed on his computer and wound up having to wipe his hard drive and re-install Windows becaue InternetHelper comes bundled with other malware that can actually re-install InternetHelper.

Conduit is another malicious program like Babylon. I hope she'll be extra careful in the future.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,719 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

When searching for unfamiliar or unknown toolbars on the Internet, it is not unusual to find numerous hits from untrustworthy and scam sites which mis-classify detections or provide misleading information. This is deliberately done more as a scam to entice folks into buying an advertised fix or removal tool. In some cases if the fix is a free download, users may be enticed to download a malicious file or be redirected to a malicious web site.

Many toolbars, Add-ons, screensavers and browser extensions come bundled with other software (often without the knowledge of the user) and can be the source of various issues and problems to include Adware and browser hijacking which may change your home page and search engine...that does not make them a virus.

They are more accurately called a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users