Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Hotkey Utility Problems

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 tomcheck

tomcheck

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 23 April 2006 - 05:26 PM

Hey,
I am not entirely sure if this is the right place to post my question, but I will try anyway. I have had a problem with my Toshiba Hotkey Utility. I have a Toshiba Satellite M45-S355 and a few months ago I started getting a error popup on each startup that says that the utility is not functioning properly. As a result, I cannot use any of my function key quick keys except for the one that switches between my laptop monitor and any attached monitor. I have tried updating the utility and my graphics card, but if anyone could give me a better list of steps to get this utility to start working again, I would appreciate it.
Thanks.
Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:01 PM

Are you running antivirus and antispyware on your computer? Have you added any USB or Firewire devices lately?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:11 PM

Hi tomcheck.
Did you install the toshiba common modules first? (sm40acpx.exe for XP)
Sounds like that is what the utility is looking for upon boot.

Edited by HitSquad, 24 April 2006 - 12:12 PM.

#4 tomcheck

tomcheck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:47 PM

I tried to install the Toshiba Common Modules again as well as reinstalling the Hotkey utility and I still get the error message and my functions still do not work. I do have antispyware and antivirus software running, but I have had it for a while, before this happened, so I am not sure if it had anything to do with the problem. Is there anything else anyone can recommend?
Thanks,
Tom

#5 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• BC Advisor
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:27 PM

Did you use the latest files from the Toshiba website, or did you install from CD?

Here's a link to the support page for your laptop:
Satellite M45-S355
JC

#6 tomcheck

tomcheck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:36 PM

Yes I visited that website and downloaded the "latest" files (both were from early 2005 I think). This didn't help me however.

#7 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• BC Advisor
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:17 PM

Ok. Maybe another repetitive question...did you remove the utilities from add/remove programs ...reboot...and add the utilities again? What is the exact message that you are getting?
JC

#8 tomcheck

tomcheck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:12 AM

I have removed the utility from the add/remove programs and tried reinstalling but it has not worked. The error message is a standard Microsoft error: "Hotkey Utility has encountered a problem and needs to close." It then asks me to send and error report to Microsoft. Hope this help;s somehow.
Tom

#9 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• BC Advisor
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:11 PM

We verified that you have the latest version of the hotkey utility from the internet and you uninstalled/installed it correctly.

This error could be caused by another application at start-up that is conflicting with the Hotkey utility.
Do you remember changing something around the time this started to appear? I know...it has been a couple of months...

This gets a little tricky because the error could be caused by a number of things....If I were sitting in front of your computer...I would probably run MSconfig, and go under the Startup tab and uncheck startup programs that I thought were causing the issue. For reference, I would search our startup database to see what the program was for. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/ Once I found the conflicting program, I would update it, or remove it. It depends on the programs purpose, and if it is necessary to have it loading at startup. MSconfig is used mainly for troubleshooting purposes, so I only leave things unchecked until I can confirm where the problem exists. With all that said, if you are not comfortable with doing this, don't attempt it without further guidance.

You already updated your graphics card - from the Toshiba website I assuming - so that covers that it is a conflict with your video...or maybe not...

You mentioned that you had malware, and looking at that topic, it looks you were given the "all clean speech". Perhaps the malware damaged some of your system files. Another thing you could try is the System File Checker. The System File Checker (SFC) will examine and repair corrupt operating system files. Guide here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

It just depends on what you feel comfortable trying. Others may have other advice.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Joshuacat, 27 April 2006 - 01:12 PM.

JC

#10 tomcheck

tomcheck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:24 PM

I have tried to clean up any problems with startup utilities, but all of my startup programs check out. I also ran the SFC and I still receive the error warning. I really don't know what to do. Thanks for the help though.
Tom

#11 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• BC Advisor
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:39 PM

Running out of ideas...

I have had this work in some cases...Normally it works for me if an application fails to install..

Uninstall the Hotkey Utility again.
Reboot.
Install it again...but, this time...select another folder to install it in. Example...If it was under c:\program files\Hotkey Utility... Put a number at the end of the folder name. C:\program files\HotKey Utility1

Reboot.

Try that, and let me know if it works. Hopefully, the install program will allow to stray from the default installation folder.

Good-luck.
JC

#12 tomcheck

tomcheck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:51 PM

The install file doesn't allow me to change the installation source. As a side note, I noticed that even after I uninstalled the program and rebooted, I get the same error message. Is this normal? This problem is just frustrating.
Thanks again for the help,
Tom

#13 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• BC Advisor
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:13 PM

After you remove the program, you get this message?:

"Hotkey Utility has encountered a problem and needs to close."
JC

#14 tomcheck

tomcheck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 11:01 AM

Yes, it is the standard error that asks to send a report to Microsoft.
Tom

#15 momofgoalie15

momofgoalie15

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 06:29 AM

For whatever it is worth, I have had the exact same problem with the error message Hotkey Utility has encountered a problem.

My problem started right after the Geek Squad had been out to my house to do some work on my computer.

Ultimately what they did was secure my router, but also cleaned up a bunch of stuff that was running at startup that did not need to be running, and they took out my firewall, and added spysweeper. With my router so secure , they said I did not need a firewall with a secure router.

Hours after they left, I booted up the computer and up comes this hotkey error, I did not think much about it, and kept hitting the send microsoft an error report thinking it would eventually give me a link telling me how to get rid of it. We then deleted the Hotkey program, still the error report kept coming.

After a few weeks of this, I called the Geek Squad back and got nothing but the run around, saying this does not fall under anything they would have done. My only argument at the time, was that it started right after they left.

I finally went on the internet, typed in my problem, and found this posting. I finally had the proof I needed for the Geek Squad to take responsibility to fix this.

Well, I ended up fixing it this morning by going into MSCONFIG, I then went to the startup tab, and I UN-checked thotkey, and the message is finally gone.

I hope this helps

Mod Edit: closed open tags, resized font for readabilty and spacing ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 11 May 2006 - 12:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users