Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Laptop Low on Memory?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 danno1840

danno1840

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:06 PM

Hey Fellas and Ladies

I bought a new laptop about three months ago and have been super happy with it for the most part.  In the last few days however I have been getting a pop up box every half hour or so saying that my computer is low on memory and I need to close programs.  Usually it recommends I close Firefox and Microsoft Mapoint which I use for work.  Not a huge deal but I'm just confused as to why this is happening.  I haven't added any new software, photos, music or anything in well over a month.  I use the computer the same as I always have as well.  Any tips for what may be going on?

Oh there was one other snafu I'm struggling with.  The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite with Windows 8 so it has both a Netflix and Hulu app.  I used these successfully until about a month ago.  Then I started receiving an error message.  I contacted Netflix about it who told me basically that it wasn't their problem and that I could just use the in browser video player.  This is true and it does work but I have the apps, they worked before why dont they work now?

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice!

Mod Edit: Moved topic from Internal Hardware to Windows 8. ~bloopie

Edited by bloopie, 26 August 2013 - 08:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Judith1314

Judith1314

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:52 PM

Have you checked the space of system drive? Is it enough? Apart from that reason, there are still causes:

1.spyware/malware

2.memory leaking application

PS: Have you tried system restore?

#3 Armand Duval

Armand Duval

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:07 PM

How many physical memory your computer has? What's your OS?(Win7 or Win8? 32-bit or 64-bit?)

First, Open the task manager, check for the most CPU or Memory used software.

Second, check for your System Driver Total Space and Free Space, make sure the free space are 4 times of your memory. 

#4 kevinhall

kevinhall

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:24 AM

Very sad. First you have to check your system drive if there is not enough memory then you have to format your laptop. Keep backup your data. When you divied your total memory in c drive, d drive then you have to keep enough memory for your system drive. I think in this way your problem will be solve.

Moderator edit: It is very early to be suggesting formatting when there is plenty of room on the drive as well as other troubleshooting options.

Thank You for helping.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 28 August 2013 - 08:12 AM.

#5 danno1840

danno1840
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:26 AM

It says I have 835 of 932 GB free so its not like I have it packed full of stuff.  I havent done a system restore or anything because like I said the laptop is less than 6 months old!  And I have not had any problems like this previously so it just doesnt make sense to me!  The task manager is saying that Firefox is using most of my memory but how could that just suddenly start happening?  I have always used Firefox and never had this problem

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

It says I have 835 of 932 GB free so its not like I have it packed full of stuff. 

How much MEMORY do you have free? Not hard drive space.  Do what Armand Duval posted above (click the "performance" tab once in task manager).  These other posters misread your problem.  See how much memory you have total, and how much is being used.  You can go into task manager at any time, like when you get the warnings, and find out what is eating up your spare memory.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 danno1840

danno1840
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:01 PM

Oops sorry about that.  Right now it says that I'm using 1.7 of 7.5GB. Obviously thats not too bad.  When I'm getting the warnings its almost always saying that Firefox is using high levels of memory.  Like I said my main confusion is why this would be happening now when it wasn't before.  I'm not doing anything different at all.

Sorry for my general stupidity about computer issues.  I realize its probably pretty frustrating to you guys

#8 BKSeoul

BKSeoul

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:41 PM

Are you running the latest version of Firefox?  Some previous versions had known issues with memory leaks that would cause similar issues.  Try checking if there is an update to Firefox by doing the following:

1. Click "Firefox" button in upper left corner of browser
  2. Click "Help" on the right menu
  3. Click "About Firefox" at the bottom of the secondary menu that shows
  4. A new window opens and it will check and report back if Firefox is up to date.
  5. If it shows an update with a button to do the update, click it.  Keep in mind that it will have to reboot to finish so bookmark/finish work in the browser before checking.

Let us know.

#9 danno1840

danno1840
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:36 PM

Yep Firefox is up to date

#10 holly187

holly187

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:01 AM

Had this problem,turned out to be add on internet explorer cant remember name.If you look up in the tab box you see it running just close tab it should go away.

also if you make google or something a default on iethis will also work.

I tried the remove and it took about 4 hours to replace but the add didnt come back.

good luck

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:10 AM

Hi, You might be having this problem now because a Firefox Add-on or another program updated itself.

One stray thought are you sure it is Windows giving that warning?

Norton Antivirus if installed will give a warning for High CPU usage, and it will give warnings that a program is using a lot of memory or disk space too.

No Norton then try this, For Firefox click Tools, Then Add-ons

Under Extensions You can choose Disable and that leaves the Extension installed but not running.

Under Plugins You can choose Never Activate

Then restart the browser and test. If the problem goes away, then You can turn them back on one at a time until you find the problem add-on.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 28 August 2013 - 08:14 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

Feb., March 48.0

#12 danno1840

danno1840
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:41 PM

Thanks guys!

#13 Pamela218

Pamela218

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

Hello All, I am going to jump in here too because I am having the same problem...and it seems like I will get a better response than my original post...

Please help...I just bought my computer in December. It is a Toshiba Satellite C855 - Intel® Core™ i3-3110M CPU @2.40GHz...Installed RAM 4.00 GB (3.89 GB usable)...64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor...

I am getting a message that says something to the effect of "Low Memory using internet explorer or Yahoo messenger"...it has started shutting down my computer...I don't have a lot of stuff on my computer so I don't know Why I am getting this message already....Can someone please help me get my computer running back like new...Thanks!!

And yes it is Norton antivirus and windows that is giving me the message...What do I do?

Edited by Pamela218, 08 September 2013 - 01:36 PM.

#14 gr0m1t

gr0m1t

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:34 AM

Mine too. Only I'm using  internet explorer. As soon as I load ie, which defaults to the google homepage, it gobbles up 30% of memory, add 3 more pages and it's on 70%. Crazy.

It didn't happen immediately. Only started happening last few days.

May the last thing I downloaded and ran was "mailview"  so I could read my outlook express emails.

#15 gr0m1t

gr0m1t

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:38 PM

Had the same problem. Removed every mention of "conduit" from hard disk and registry and the problem has gone.

Adding to the above, I was running explorer. Sorted!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users