Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

turn off antivirus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jcmcgee

jcmcgee

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

Hello,

I am trying to run combofix to remove malware and I turned off my mcafee virus scanning before starting.  When I started up the program it gave me the warning that it had detected the following real time scanners to be active: mcafee antivirus and antispyware.  Is it OK to go to the task manager and just stop all services that mcafee is running?  Will this close everything that needs to be turned off?  I cannot open the mcafee program in order to change and settings at this point I just get the "not responding" spinning circle...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,307 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:58 PM

Hi, ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/273628/combofix-usage-questions-help-look-here/

ComboFix is an Anti-Malware tool used by advanced malware technicians

specifically trained in its use.

Please DO NOT USE COMBOFIX on your own without supervision!!!

We ask that you obey the warnings about using this tool. Why? The warnings are given for a reason and one of them is to inform our members about the consequences that may occur when using ComboFix in an unsupervised environment. Yes, ComboFix is an excellent but powerful tool. I liken it to Acetaminophen (Tylenol). Used correctly, the drug will help with your aches and pains. Used incorrectly, it can destroy your liver and eventually kill you. The same scenario applies to ComboFix. Used in untrained hands this tool can disable your computer and in some cases can make it

I hope this helps?

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

July 79.4

#3 jcmcgee

jcmcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

Hi roger I actually do have someone helping me but he is in Europe and unavailable at the moment... I was hoping to just gt a quick tip so I could move on to the next step and get him the logs for the am

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,748 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:17 PM

As a general policy, Bleeping Computer does not offer advice on how to run ComboFix unless we asked someone to run it or if there is a problem with the computer caused by running the tool. When issues arise due to complex malware infections, possible false detections, problems running ComboFix (i.e. stalling, hanging, crashing) or with other security tools causing conflicts, experts are usually aware of them and can advise what should or should not be done while providing individual assistance. Those attempting to use ComboFix on their own do not have such information and are at risk when running the tool in an unsupervised environment.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users