Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows xp freezing up at splash screen.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 siminu2

siminu2

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

Hope someone can help. Computer worked yesterday. Stated today and froze up at splash screen. I have run recovery disk and backed up everything before I did system recovery.  Now I get a loop.. The machine starts shows E screen then a blurp of something I cant read then I get apologize for inconvience but windows did not start succ essfully . Asks for start normally, safe mode, wth networking and command prompt.  I have tried all. and then it reboots from the beginning again.  Just big circle.  What is going on and how can I fix it?

Restarted again and got windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: Windows\system32\config\system.  Have rebooted with disc and will hit r for repair. I have done my second system .   t recovery with backup. did not work.  Went to cc/disk file record segments are unreadable.

.    Help please

Edited by siminu2, 22 August 2013 - 05:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

You probably have a failing hard drive. I can't quite make out what you are saying in some parts. Did you run a chkdsk /r on the OS partition from the recovery console?

#3 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 16,891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

Did you run a chkdsk /r on the OS partition from the recovery console?

The recovery console would have to have been installed previously, otherwise they will need to install it from XP installation disc.

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

Once this is done you can use the recovery console command prompt to run chkdks /r.

If you get to the point that you can boot into the Advanced Boot Options you can choose the options to Disable automatic restarts on system failure.  You will see an image similar to the one below.

abow7_zps2646149a.png 

Once this is done and the computer is restarted it should boot and present you with a BSOD, this has information which may help to determine what is at fault.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"  Groucho Marx

#4 siminu2

siminu2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:57 AM

You probably have a failing hard drive. I can't quite make out what you are saying in some parts. Did you run a chkdsk /r on the OS partition from the recovery console?

Thank you two  for responding.  It is possible.  The computer did it's own shkdsk and several areas were unreadable.  I could not get it to do anything but reboot hit the screen to pick safe mode then reboot it's self again.  Nothing worked.  I became frustrated with it and left the machine on.  This morning I find a completely new windows set up ready to install.  The machine is for the time being working.  I did back up data before I did system recovery cd but now not sure how to access data.  The machine is partioned in C drive and Recovery D  but I cant access D where I feel the data would have been stored.  

As for the suggestion regarding Safe mode.  I could not get to it.  I am now afraid to even turn the machine off.  It seems to have a mind of it's own.  

Any Ideas?

Edited by siminu2, 24 August 2013 - 08:31 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 16,891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

The recovery partition does not contain any files other than the original files installed on that partition.  If the restore system to factory default you will have lost anything which was installed or created after it came out of the box.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"  Groucho Marx

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,173 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

<<...could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: Windows\system32\config\system>>

Corrupted Registry, Config.sys Missing or Corrupt - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Corrupted Registry, AA Method - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic441257.html

Corrupted Registry - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic205375.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users