Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Somoto FLV Player update pop up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 KittyKatty

KittyKatty

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:44 PM

I stopped the download a few months ago when I realized it was a new program. Even though my Norton's trusted it, only 5 users who had Norton had previously used it.

About a day or so ago, once an hour for 10 minutes, an update pop up will come up, asking me if I want to make changes on my computer. The file says FLV Player Update Somoto LTD.

When I check through the files on my computer, I don't even have an FLV Player. If I click no, it will continue to pop up. 

How do I stop it from popping up? Was it a virus? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 qwerty0987

qwerty0987

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:32 AM

Hi, 

The same thing happened to me yesterday and this morning, and I found it's actually quite easy to get rid of. When the pop-up appears again click the link that says 'more information' and it'll show you the file path. Its an .exe file called 'Run' situated in your local drive :C in a Temp folder. so open a new windows explorer windows and type in C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp then scroll down to find Run.exe, Delete this permanently and you've successfully gotten rid of it.  :bananas:  :guitar:

#3 KittyKatty

KittyKatty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:48 AM

I don't get that at all. 

When I click for more details, it shows me the certification. 

#4 KittyKatty

KittyKatty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:51 AM

I deleted it and an hour later, it came back

Edited by KittyKatty, 18 August 2013 - 04:50 AM.

#5 PSNbuusa

PSNbuusa

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

Hmm, this is spamming me all days. I will try the way that he mentioned above but please tell me if you got any other ways to get rid of it.

#6 KittyKatty

KittyKatty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:43 PM

Hmm, this is spamming me all days. I will try the way that he mentioned above but please tell me if you got any other ways to get rid of it.

I think this thread is where we need to go to. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/504050/pup-virus-infection

#7 Parkymj

Parkymj

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:16 AM

Hi yes, I don't believe this is actually a virus but it is nonetheless pretty nasty and something you would most likely want to be rid of.

I had this problem, not being able to find Somoto or Flv on the Add or Remove program list, I searched the Program Files folder for these names and deleted everything I could find.  There were a great many.  However this made no difference and the problem persisted.

I then decided to remove all unnecessary add-ons from my browser using the browsers settings as these are generally a lot of nonsense anyhow, the only one being much good I have found is AdBlock which I have kept.  

More nuisance pop-ups, I went back into Uninstall A Program on the Control Panel.  Almost immediately I noticed a program called "DealPly"  This I had not knowingly installed and had obviously piggy backed onto my hard drive along with something I had intentionally downloaded.  Removing DealPly had the desired result and persistent pop-ups insisting I update FLV Player were no more.

Peace at last !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users