Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser safeguard?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 trekka51

trekka51

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

Hello, I am just curious as to what browser safeguard is. I can find nothing on if it a virus or not and I feel as if it was installed onto the computer before I even got it because the date listed for it is before I even received the computer. Also, I went to uninstall browser safeguard earlier, but decided against it. Then when I accessed my browser my proxy wouldn't work. Thanks in advance for any help provided.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sirawit

Sirawit

Batch,VB,Lua,C,...

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 2,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:08 PM

You have to uninstall it, it is browser HiJacker.

I think I cannot ask you to use AdwCleaner. If another staff have any suggestion please reply.

Thank you.

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

#3 trekka51

trekka51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:16 PM

I've ran all of my antivirus software on my computer and I've already used this website to remove another virus. So it leads me to believe it is not a virus.

Also, I have tan adwcleaner and it turns up nothing.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,395 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

About BrowserSafeguard

BrowserSafeguard is a program that scans your web connections for threats and blocks them if detected. BrowserSafeguard is able to do this by configuring your web browser to use the program as a proxy server. This allows all traffic to be inspected as it is passed through the program.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#5 xfixer

xfixer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:27 PM

browser Safeguard...

Anything but...............safe

I found this software on my machine and it snuck in along with something else I downloaded........  Hey the name browser safeguard actually kept me from instantly removing it.............

Now I weekly run superantispyware (I recommend this free software form cnet) frequently and usually in a weeks time it finds about 30 to 40 different spyware items to remove.......Now for the last few weeks my system was running very hinky usually the day after I would clean it out and when I ran the super anti it would find 200+ spywares, cookies and tracking software items to remove in only a days time......  

i knew something had gotten awry.  

I removed it, nothing fancy to get rid of use the usual means of removing programs  start,  settings, control panel, add remove programs locate it and remove it.......... immediately do not pass go do not collect etc etc. 

This piece of software is garbage if you see it listed in your add remove programs get rid of it immediately

BTW I am not totally against tracking software.  I look at it as the advertisers are doing me a favor in many cases I am looking for an automotive part (hence the name xfixer) and after I search I get banner ads from competitors wanting to sell me the same part at a reduced cost.  Thank you very much tracking software :)  

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,395 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

With CNET and similar download hosting sites, you always have to be careful with links to download anything. Clicking the link may redirect to another downloading site which uses heavy and confusing advertising with more download links. Clicking on the incorrect link (thinking its the one you want) often results in downloading a program the user did not intend to download. Sometimes looking at the name of the setup file before saving it to your hard drive, will give a clue to what you are actually downloading so you can cancel out of it.

Further, many third-party hosting sites bundle toolbars and other software in their download packages as a way to increase vendor revenue and recoup business costs through the distribution of third party software. This practice is now the most common revenue generator for free downloads

CNET.com, publishes this Software bundling Policy

Any additional programs or third-party items included with the downloadable file must be clearly disclosed in the CNET Downloads product description and during the installation process. Users must be given a way to opt out of all additional items during installation, or they must be given an opportunity to cancel the installation completely.

The safest practice is to use the vendor's official home site but in some cases, they too will redirect you to another hosting site which practices bundling or uses confusing advertisements resulting in downloading software you did not intend to download. In fact even if you download and install legitimate software from a direct source it is still possible for the vender to bundle unwanted software into the package and you may not be aware.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users