Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ransomware Virus Can't Boot Up in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DavidMark

DavidMark

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:04 AM

Sony Laptop with Windows Vista has ransom ware.  Tried booting up in both safe modes and it shuts me down and logs me back into regular mode.   Software shows my IP address and a picture of me and asks me to pay some government agency. 

So how do I begin this process without being able to even get into safe mode?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Redplauge

Redplauge

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

Hi,

I have previously had an issues with this before, the way I approached it was to do an off-line scan. So hook the drive up to another computer and run the virus scans from there most virus scanners have an option to scan a particular drive.  I suggest using emsisoft emergency kit.

#3 DavidMark

DavidMark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

I don't have anything to connect to another computer and I would be worried about doing it especially without very specific directions of how to conduct a scan.  

There is another case where a person had this sort of virus in a previous thread and the tech's had them download some software and boot it from a disk or drive.  I'd rather take that route but would require very specific directions.  

#4 DavidMark

DavidMark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:36 AM

Am I in the right thread to get professional assistance?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users