Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes found PUP.Optional.Inbox

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:39 PM

A friend of mine has been running scans with Malwarebytes and each time, PUP.Optional.Inbox has been coming up. What is it exactly, what does it do and most importantly how to get rid of it?

A google search of PUP.Optional.Inbox came up with some hits but none with ".inbox". 

TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

Almost Retired

• Members
  • 9,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:56 PM

A PUP (potentially unwanted program) is a program that may be unwanted, despite the possibility that users consented to download it.

PUPs include spyware,  adware, and dialers, and are often downloaded in conjunction with a program that the user wants.

Generally you delete these unless you know the program, and want to keep it -

Thanks -

EDIT - Be sure to Update the program (MBAM) prior to each use, as definitions change daily -

Edited by noknojon, 08 August 2013 - 07:59 PM.

******************************************* Waiting for a reply ??

Press F5 to Refresh as you may have one waiting************************************************

#3 Buddyme2

Buddyme2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 555 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

A PUP (potentially unwanted program) is a program that may be unwanted, despite the possibility that users consented to download it.

PUPs include spyware,  adware, and dialers, and are often downloaded in conjunction with a program that the user wants.

Generally you delete these unless you know the program, and want to keep it -

Thanks -

Thank you, noknojon. Is there way to find which specific program has this "PUP"?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,336 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:29 PM

I agree with noknojon however, PUPs in and of themselves are not always bad...many are generally known, non-malicious but unwanted software. PUPs are considered unwanted because they can cause undesirable system performance or other problems and are sometimes installed without the user's consent since they are often included when downloading legitimate programs. PUP is a very broad threat category which can encompass any number of different programs to include those which are benign as well as malicious and may be defined somewhat differently by various security vendors

PUP detections are Potentially Unwanted Programs. These are programs our researchers have found are sometimes added to a system without the user's knowledge or approval.

Malwarebytes: What are the 'PUP' detections, are they threats and should they be deleted?

In the past, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware detected only PUPs that were considered mostly harmful and deceiving but they revised their policy, taking a more aggressive approach to include PUPs that most users found annoying or misleading.

The default action for PUP detections is "Show in results list and do not check for removal." If you want Malwarebytes to remove them, make sure the settings are set to "Show in results list and check for removal."

To check or change PUP settings launch Malwarebytes, click the 'Settings' tab and then click the 'Scanner Settings' tab. You will find the Action options at the bottom with a drop down box to the right which allows you to select the action you want Malwarebytes to take.

PUP-boxes.png
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#5 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:25 AM

Have a look  at the comments for Inbox.com.

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/inbox.com?utm_source=addon&utm_content=rw-viewsc

This is reported to add an unwanted toolbar to your browser.   You may be able to uninstall it in the usual way but you may need to change your browser settings to remove it completely unless you want to keep it.

James

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,336 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

... Is there way to find which specific program has this "PUP"?

After running a scan, Malwarebytes will show a list under the Scanner tab of what it found to include the Vendor, Category (registry key, file) and item showing the full path (location) for file or full path for registy key.

The save logged should also show the detections as in this example.
Registry Keys Detected: 1
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\Extensions\kincjchfokkeneeofpeefomkikfkiedl (PUP.FCTPlugin) -> No action taken.

Files Detected: 1
C:\Users\User\Downloads\video_downloader.exe (PUP.BundleInstaller.VG) -> No action taken. 

#7 blueicetwice

blueicetwice

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:44 AM

Excellent posts!  Thanky to everyone.  :bowdown: 

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,336 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:49 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#9 Buddyme2

Buddyme2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 555 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:54 PM

Excellent posts!  Thanky to everyone.  :bowdown: 

+1

Thanks for the help everyone.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,336 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:26 AM

+1

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#11 jingxuang

jingxuang

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

Hello everyone. This virus blows through everything I have seen and I have seen most everything. I will tell you that you that you can run the long scan on malwarebytes and it will come up with PUP on each run. You need to load Kapersky which does work, but even they are having trouble keeping up with this thing. I am trying to contact Bill Gates because I think I know the source of this virus.I know that Microsoft and everyone else is trying to figure this thing out. Microsoft has a particular problem because it is attched to any Windows download. Big Big Big problem world. Hold onto your hats.Oh, for you cheap guys you can get Kapersky free for thirty days and hopefully  that will be enough time for me to fix this .I am busy, so no response is needed unless you know Bill Gates and you can put me in touch with him. I mention Gates only because he is inadvertently responsible for this problem.

#12 johnnycycle

johnnycycle

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:58 PM

This is "newbie" Johnnycycle & Thank You kindly for that post !!

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,336 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:08 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

Since the last reply here, I have written: About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users