Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 takes 20+ minutes to load fully

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Gaurav Dharmani

Gaurav Dharmani

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

Hi fellas

I'm not an expert at all so please guide me out in detail. I own a Dell Inspiron 15R laptop with 4gb RAM and 1TB hard disk with roughly 715gb of free space. When i boot the laptop, it takes me roughly 15+ mins to reach the administrative password screen and additional 5 to 10 mins to reach the desktop. I dont have any viruses according to my McAffee scans and nor do I have too many heavy softwares installed (only Adobe's photoshop, after effects and premiere which could be called heavy). What's wrong? I'm tired of figuring it out and tech babble on most forums wore me out.. Please help urgently! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:04 AM

Hi, I've seen this problem with a heavily Malware infested computer.

Note: that McAfee does not catch everything, No Antivirus does.

Next possible cause is the hard drive going bad. To test the drive since it is a Dell.

Turn the computer on and when the Dell logo appears start Pressing F12 and choose Diagnostics from the device startup menu. You can run memory and hard drive diagnostics from the diagnostic partition that way.

More Detailed info here: http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~deke/laptopsupport/manuals/d600/diag.htm

Next possibility, Bad memory being excluded from use by the BIOS or memory that just isn't there. Are you sure you still have 4Gb?

When the Dell logo appears Press F2 for the BIOS setup and see how much memory is showing.

Also a Non Dell AC adapter can cause their laptops to run slower.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 07 August 2013 - 11:06 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

Feb., March 48.0

#3 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Toffee Monster

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

If you want to check your memory sticks for failure then I suggest following these instructions:

You can use the free software Memtest86+ to check the integrity of RAM modules and motherboard slot.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html

Check one module at a time and make sure to run Memtest86+ for at least seven passes on each module. This is a time consuming process so may take several hours to complete. Report whether you can find either one of the module to be faulty.

---------------

Also it may be a good idea to download Malwarebytes and give it a scan to give us a better idea if we are dealing with malware (since I agree with rotor it is a possibility):

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (aka MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then clickFinish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
Post the log back here.

xXToffeeXx~

If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM.

~Open a window, eat an apple, chrome some metal, watch an opera, make a safari, hunt a fire fox, be an explorer~

#4 Gaurav Dharmani

Gaurav Dharmani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

Thanks for your advice rotor. Found the problem seen in the attached pic.. Also checked via F2 option which you mentioned. It did show around 4000 mb so I'm guessing memory is not the issue but only hard drive is.. Check disk is on currently which is painfully long but I hope it solves the issue.. I'll further then check Toffee's mentioned way if check disk doesnt help either.. Thanks to both of you.. Will update tomorrow my status after trying out what y'all have mentioned!

#5 Gaurav Dharmani

Gaurav Dharmani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

This is the attached file.. The result of the diagnostics

Attached Files

#6 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Toffee Monster

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,697 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

It actually seems that the memory passed (I didn't know Dell had a test for that), but unfortunately your hard drive did not. It is failing, and you should backup all your data as soon as possible and then buy a new hard drive. This could be the root of your slowness, but you should also probably check for malware (especially if you want to make a system image and then use that on the new drive).

xXToffeeXx~

If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM.

~Open a window, eat an apple, chrome some metal, watch an opera, make a safari, hunt a fire fox, be an explorer~

#7 Gaurav Dharmani

Gaurav Dharmani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

New hard drive already? I got this laptop last year only and it's still under warranty.. Isn't Dell supposed to be amongst the best? I'll surely check for malware issue.. Right now check disk @51%. Thank god i dont have much data! Check disks are ridiculously slow..
Oh and one thing I did try before was changing startup processes from msconfig..a common solution i found which didnt work at all but just saying

#8 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Toffee Monster

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,697 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

New hard drive already? I got this laptop last year only and it's still under warranty.. Isn't Dell supposed to be amongst the best? I'll surely check for malware issue.. Right now check disk @51%. Thank god i dont have much data! Check disks are ridiculously slow..
Oh and one thing I did try before was changing startup processes from msconfig..a common solution i found which didnt work at all but just saying

I think you could send the hard drive to them and get a new one if it is under warranty, but I'm not sure on that so you'd have to check. Hard drives, can, and will fail at any moment. It's just the way they are made, rather than the company. What switches are you running with chkdsk (like /r, /f), and yes depending on how much data you have it will take longer. Do you mean unchecking items under startup in msconfig when you say, "changing startup processes from msconfig"? Anyway, that's good to know.

#9 Gaurav Dharmani

Gaurav Dharmani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

I dont really get what switches mean.. I just have one partition the main C drive incase you're referring to that.. And ya i meant unchecking processes.. By the way sincere thanks for the interest to help me.. Really grateful!

#10 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Toffee Monster

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,697 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

I dont really get what switches mean.. I just have one partition the main C drive incase you're referring to that.. And ya i meant unchecking processes.. By the way sincere thanks for the interest to help me.. Really grateful!

I assume you typed chkdsk /r to start the check disk (/r is the switch in this case, as it causes chkdsk to do something different than it would without the switch)? Okay, did you uncheck all of the startups? No problem, I'm glad that I can be of help :) Sorry about all of the questions too, it just gives me a better picture of what is going on.

xXToffeeXx~

#11 Gaurav Dharmani

Gaurav Dharmani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

I hid the default Microsoft ones and unchecked what all i didnt require.. I had scheduled a check disk on restart..

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,101 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

As was mentioned above. Hard drives go bad.

Do not just send the drive to Dell. You need to call them and report the results of the Diagnostic test and they will schedule the RMA for the drive. RMA = return merchandise authorization. And if you do not have a re-installation disk set be sure to ask that they send them too.

Depending on Your warranty they may just send a bare drive and you do the install or they may do a "In home service". No way to tell until You ask them.

Dell as do most computer makers do not make hard drives themselves. Your computer could have a Seagate, Western Digital, Toshiba, etc. brand of drive.

Laptop hard drives take more of a beating than Desktop drives for several reasons. Laptops are portable, When you type you are typing on the case that holds the hard drive. However a SSD drive has no moving parts so they are pretty much immune to vibration damage. They are considerably more expensive however.

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

Feb., March 48.0

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,101 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

It actually seems that the memory passed (I didn't know Dell had a test for that), but unfortunately your hard drive did not. It is failing, and you should backup all your data as soon as possible and then buy a new hard drive. This could be the root of your slowness, but you should also probably check for malware (especially if you want to make a system image and then use that on the new drive).

xXToffeeXx~

Yup pretty much all Dells ship with Diagnostics in a Diagnostics partition on the hard drive. It has tons of checks. I have used it more than once in the past. They also shipped in the past with a disk that held other software that was boot-able to let you run the diagnostics from in case the hard drive version didn't run.

Also as a point of information, newer HP computers have a hard drive test in the Bios and still newer ones have a drive and memory test built-in.

Feb., March 48.0

#14 Gaurav Dharmani

Gaurav Dharmani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

Check disk and its repair process solved my problem luckily :) however, what should i do now to make sure all's fine and stays that way? N also apart from Mbam what softwares are a must have?

#15 Gaurav Dharmani

Gaurav Dharmani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:54 PM

The aforementioned diagnostic results still exists.. :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users