Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

thermal pad/paste advice for laptop GPU & cap

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kobrrra

kobrrra

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:45 AM

I had to change a failed motherboard for a HP Pavilion dv4 laptop. I am using the heatsink & cpu from the dead mobo.

I have applied Arctic Silver 5 to the CPU. Do I need to change the “brown pad” that sits on the GPU? Another “green” one looks like a pad/paste and sits on two blocks (capacitors?). Does that need to be changed as well?

What kind of replacements would I need and where should I look for them? HP provides pads & paste with its fan/heat sink/mobo/CPU spare parts kit but it’s very expensive.

From the HP Maintenance & Service guide:
“Each time the fan and heat sink are removed, the thermal material must be thoroughly cleaned from the surfaces of the heat sink and system board components: heat sink (1), processor (2), Northbridge clip (3), and capacitor (4). Thermal pads and thermal paste must be installed on all surfaces before the fan and heat sink are reinstalled. Thermal pads and thermal paste are included with all fan, heat sink, system board, and processor spare part kits.”

Thanks

x_zpsf8d5e759.jpg

y_zps3c1f1b88.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 1,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

Yes, if it is fitted with a thermal pad and you remove it, you should replace it with a new one. You can sometimes be lucky and get away with using the old one, but good practice is to replace it. the good news is that you don't have to go to HP for them - try Amazon !  Or any good component supuplier for that matter. As I don't know where you live, I can't be specific, but on the Amazon UK web-site they are listed under the search terms :-

Computers & Accessories ›  "thermal pads"

Chris Cosgrove

#3 kobrrra

kobrrra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:51 AM

Yes, if it is fitted with a thermal pad and you remove it, you should replace it with a new one. You can sometimes be lucky and get away with using the old one, but good practice is to replace it. the good news is that you don't have to go to HP for them - try Amazon !  Or any good component supuplier for that matter. As I don't know where you live, I can't be specific, but on the Amazon UK web-site they are listed under the search terms :-

Computers & Accessories ›  "thermal pads"

Chris Cosgrove

i reused the two pads in the photo. for the cpu i cleaned and applied a fresh coat of arctic silver 5. after that temps were in the range of 50 to 70 C. fan runs pretty loud sometimes, and the base of the laptop feels super hot. i have access to amazon and ebay.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

Hi, MY guess is that the GPU and the memory(?) that the green pads hit are running hot. Running the GPU hot on that model will shorten the Motherboard life.

If you order the pads be sure to get the right thickness. The different coloring may indicate a difference in the pads too. Did the replacement motherboard come from HP or elsewhere? I've seen repaired motherboards that came with a copper shim for the GPU on Motherboards with a Nvidia GPU. That can cause spacing issues and is there to help the GPU run cooler.

You could try a thin coat of Arctic Silver on the pads as a temporary test (fix).

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

Feb., March 48.0

#5 kobrrra

kobrrra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

Hi, MY guess is that the GPU and the memory(?) that the green pads hit are running hot. Running the GPU hot on that model will shorten the Motherboard life.

If you order the pads be sure to get the right thickness. The different coloring may indicate a difference in the pads too. Did the replacement motherboard come from HP or elsewhere? I've seen repaired motherboards that came with a copper shim for the GPU on Motherboards with a Nvidia GPU. That can cause spacing issues and is there to help the GPU run cooler.

You could try a thin coat of Arctic Silver on the pads as a temporary test (fix).

Good Luck

Roger

the replacement motherboard came from ebay, without any pads.

HP sells the board for more than $300. ebay was much more affordable.

#6 kobrrra

kobrrra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:42 AM

Good Luck

Roger

thanks for the advice.

i ran the laptop for 2 days at those temps. the temps hovered in the 50-70 C range. i wanted to check if temps would drop. but they did not. after that i shut it off. the replacement board does not have copper shims from what i can tell.

Edited by kobrrra, 06 August 2013 - 04:43 AM.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:05 AM

That temperature Sounds high for a laptop that is just idling (Sitting there).

The Copper Shim is something I saw on a repaired HP motherboard from China.

The Theory as I understand it is it adds cooling surface to the GPU. The unsaid part is that it also presses down on the GPU a little harder and hopefully prevents a recurrence of the problem.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by hamluis, 06 August 2013 - 01:34 PM.
Removed typo - Hamluis.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

Feb., March 48.0

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users