Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New motherboard, SATA drives not recognized

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wobblerlorri

wobblerlorri

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

Okay, I just rebuilt my computer because the CPU died. I got a package deal on an MSI 760GM-P23 (FX) motherboard, an AMD FX4100 quad core processor, and some cheap 4GB memory.

Prior to this all peripherals and both hard drives, a Seagate Barracuda 750GB SATA drive and an ancient Seagate Barracuda 120GB IDE drive, were working fine. I was running WinXP SP3, totally up to date. Everything was fine until I decided to replace my old CD/DVD drive with a new SATA CD/DVD drive -- sometime during the install the original CPU decided to go toes up. It was an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition.

So I got the new board, the new processor, pulled out the old board, installed the new one, and powered up. Nothing. No POST beeps. I'd forgotten to plug in the CPU power plug. Oops. Did that, I got a POST beep, but no video. Installed a separate video card, still nothing. Took out the free cheap memory, replaced it with my original memory (Patriot PGV38G1333ELK G Series Sector 5, 4 GB stick), and I finally get it to power up.

But I get a message, no bootable media. So powered down, went into BIOS, and no SATA drives are connected. I have no options regarding auto-detecting or manual detection. I have the 750GB SATA drive installed and cabled, and the new CD/DVD SATA drive installed and cabled. The power cable to the drives is good -- the CD/DVD ejects, and you can feel the other drive spin up. The SATA cables are known good cables. The 750 GB SATA drive is good -- it's perfectly readable in my husband's machine, and his box will boot up from it (it has my Windows partition on it).

I've just now taken the battery off the mobo in an effort to clear the CMOS, and in 5 min I'll put it back in. Assuming that doesn't work, any ideas?

MSI 760GM-P23 (FX) motherboard

AMD FX4100 quad core processor

Patriot PGV38G1333ELK G Series Sector 5, 4 GB RAM

Seagate Barracuda 750GB SATA drive

Asus DRW-24B1ST 24X Internal DVD Burner SATA

Windows XP SP3 32 bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

Try the drive{s) on the SATA ports controlled by the AMD chipset, the "native" port.  Its in the manual.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

Go into the bios and check to see how the SATA settings are set. XP does not support SATA drives so you have to set the setting to "Native Node - Enabled"

#4 wobblerlorri

wobblerlorri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:40 PM

@dpunisher: I've attached an image of the mobo layout. I've circled the only SATA ports on the board, and highlighted as well as indicated by a line where I have my drives plugged in. And please indicate which manual, and what page. This image is directly from "the manual". Also note the AMD SB710 chipset is directly next to the SATA ports.

@JHMcG: This drive has been my bootable drive into XP for at least 2 or 3 years. BIOS setting show no SATA drives, and my only options for setting them up are IDE, RAID and ACPI. I'm not getting into XP at all. There is no "Native-Node Enabled" option. When I go into the Setup Configuration, I have 6 SATA ports displayed, with None Detected next to all 6, even though SATA 1 has my hard drive connected and SATA 2 is the DVD drive.

7e99.jpg

Edited by wobblerlorri, 31 July 2013 - 09:48 PM.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

Well, teach me how to Google.  Earlier I kept getting bad links to MSI and finally ended up looking at a motherboard that differs from the one you have pictured.  The diagram and mobo manual I read showed 2 SATA 6.0 ports on it along with the SATA 3.0 AMD ports.,  Long story short.......no idea what MSI board I was looking at earlier.

With cables connected to drives- can you hear the hard drive spin up?  DVD drive light is on, the tray opens/closes?

Tried both ACPI and IDE options?  Tried plugging cable(s) in all SATA ports?

Try the hard drive by itself (DVD drive unplugged from SATA port and power), ditto the other way (HD unplugged).

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

You cannot...move a hard drive with settings/drivers from Board 1...and connect it to Board 2 and expect it to function properly.  You need to reinstall Windows anew, to save yourself a lot of time and unnecessary vexation.

I may have misread but that soundsl like what you have tried.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 August 2013 - 05:49 PM.

#7 wobblerlorri

wobblerlorri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

@djpunisher:  I can hear the drive spin up, and the DVD light comes on, opens and closes. They're getting power. I've wondered about setting it to ACPI, but I've never used this option so I was hesitant.

Next is going port by port to find out if I have any good ports. Thanks!

@hamluis: I'm not even getting INTO Windows -- the mobo isn't recognizing I have ANY SATA drives connected. And yes, you can indeed put old drives on new boards -- I've done it many times. You just have to install the mobo drivers when you boot. I have never had to reinstall Windows after replacing a mobo. It's usually a case of just plug everything in, power up, and pop in the mobo CD to change drivers. No muss, no fuss.

But I'm not getting that far -- I pass POST, and then I'm told I have no drives installed.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,775 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

OK.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 August 2013 - 06:42 PM.

#9 wobblerlorri

wobblerlorri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

Just wanted to let everyone know I RMA'd this mobo -- tested all 6 SATA headers, none of them work. I've ordered a Biostar AMD 970 motherboard, which has plenty of room for expansion and has a really high customer rating. It also has a different south bridge than the MIS board does (AMD SB950 instead of AMD SB710).

So thanks to all the commenters, even though I was working with a defective board in the first place.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,775 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

Feedback appreciated...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users