Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron i15r-1843sLV, Windows 8, winload.efi can't boot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Punkrulz

Punkrulz

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

Hey guys,

Posting in here as this is a Windows 8 issue and can't boot. I'm troubleshooting a friends laptop that I don't have in front of me yet but I'm getting the ball rolling. Here's what's going on:

Model: Dell i15r-1843sLV OS: Windows 8 Problem: Today when attempting to boot he got the message saying File: \windows\system32\winload.efi and the error code 0xC000000D. Since I don't have experience with Windows 8, here's what we tried;

We learned that Windows 8 does not allow the usage of F8, so we can't use safemode to try anything. He does not have an actual system setup CD, but he does have the drivers and preinstalled programs CD. I learned through research that the laptop is supposed to start some sort of auto-repair process after failing to boot 2 times, however this doesn't seem to launch.

I'm going to have him build a Windows 8 Recovery Flash Disk from his sisters laptop, but part of the problem is we can't find anywhere in BIOS where to change the option for what boots first. It apparently has the UEFI boot but I don't know anything about that.

Unfortunately since I don't have the laptop any answers I get right away will be somewhat delayed, so I'll try to make this as easy for everyone as I possibly can. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Punkrulz

Punkrulz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

Unfortunately at this time he's not able to build the recovery drive. It's forcing him to make the recovery partition and it never goes passed 1% completed. He also can't find any other way to restore the laptop and feels as though he's forced to call Dell. This really stinks.

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:21 AM

Hi

Usually you can change the boot order in any Dell laptop by pressing F12 during power on. This will bring a boot selection menu which can be used to change the boot order temporarily. Since the issue is a file system corruption, i would check the hard drive first before attempting to repair or re-install the OS. You can execute a self test by selecting Diagnostics from the boot menu. Let it run a full diagnostics of the system and check whether it reports any errors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users