Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSE Potentially Unprotected.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Darktune

Darktune

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:17 AM

Hey all,

My MSE today has said that's it's potentially unprotected as it hasn't run a scan in a while, but I run a scan nearly every day with it. 

Although this is a quick scan, maybe that is the problem i'm unsure. I haven't run a full scan in a long while (I run a long scan with MBAM).

Any ideas?

Craig

Do you like mystery stories? Well, we have one for you... the concept: relativity.

The strange, fantastic relationship between time, distance and mass.

Before we're finished i think you'll agree, that truth is stranger than the strangest fiction.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:37 AM

...make sure that if you're using any 3rd party cleaner, especially "CCleaner", that you don't have boxes checked for "MS Security Client" or, "MS AntiMalware" or, anything that looks like it's associated with it...

Edited by Dolby, 18 July 2013 - 07:37 AM.

#3 Darktune

Darktune
  • Topic Starter

• 544 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

I do run CCleaner but I've checked in all the boxes MSE or any Microsoft product related to antimalware or any security clients aren't there. So it isn't that.

Do you like mystery stories? Well, we have one for you... the concept: relativity.

Before we're finished i think you'll agree, that truth is stranger than the strangest fiction.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 30,797 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

Then the alert could be the result of another program you are using.

You receive error: "You haven't run a scan on your computer for a while. This could put your computer at risk" when you open Microsoft Security Essentials.

This error appears as the result of third party anti-virus and/or system cleaner products conflicting with Microsoft Security Essentials.

Microsoft Article ID: 2635869
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#5 Darktune

Darktune
  • Topic Starter

• 544 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

Thank you,

I am a bit confused now though.

I ran a full scan but about 3-4 hours in it was around 80% complete and i canceled the scan to remove the program and reinstall it. But now it says i'm fully protected.. haha. Technology.

Why has it done this ? 

Craig

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 30,797 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

Since CCleaner is the main culprit for this issue, its most likely caused by a modification (or removal) of a registry key related to MSE. Reinstalling the program, reinstalls the correct registry keys.

#7 Darktune

Darktune
  • Topic Starter

• 544 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

Sorry i was unclear in what i was saying I stopped the scan to remove the program but i didn't actually remove it because it said it was protected. 

sorry for being unclear

Craig

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 30,797 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

Ok.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

Aussie Addict

• Members
  • 8,862 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

Open your CCleaner > Click Applications > Near the bottom (on mine) is Windows > UNCHECK all items listed under Windows as these will alter your settings for things like M.S.E. and other M/soft programs, including preventing your M.S.E updating and running regular scans. It had even removed some Paint items that I was working on.
This is a well known, and often reported problem from CCleaner Forum and M/soft Forums.

I have found that TFC, or Temp File Cleaner by Old Timer is better.
Usage Instructions:

• Download TFC from the download link above and save the file on your desktop.
  • Close ALL running applications as TFC will terminate them before attempting to clean up the temporary files.
  • Double-click on the TFC icon.
  • When the program opens, click on the Start button.  TFC will terminate the Explorer process and all running applications and then begin the process of cleaning out all of your temp folders.
  • When done, press OK and reboot your computer and finish the cleanup.

Note: Depending on how much data is currently stored in the Temp folders, this process can take quite a while to remove all of the files, so please be patient.

Regards -

Thank You -

- Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium Toshiba Laptop - Avant and user of Internet Explorer Browsers  - And I Use GOOGLE-

~ Remember to Press F5 as you may already have an answer waiting for you ..... If not .....The answer is always 42, or Reboot ~

#10 Darktune

Darktune
  • Topic Starter

• 544 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

I shall do so, thanks for the help and tips. I have downloaded TFC and will probably get around to removing CCleaner soon

:)

Craig

#11 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

CCleaner or any registry optimizers tend to be really bad news for your system. Running any of them will usually hose your system eventually, and trash your windows installation. CCleaner is pretty conservative, but I'd still just say "no".

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#12 Darktune

Darktune
  • Topic Starter

• 544 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:18 AM

Hey Slgrieb,

CCleaner is also a temp file cleaner, I stay away from the registry cleaner on there as I'm aware that's not good. But if you configure the settings on CCleaner well then you have your self a neat little program that will remove temp files from IE, Chrome and firefox etc..

Craig

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 30,797 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:45 AM

I agree. While CCleaner is safe and useful for removing temporary and junk files, I do not recommend using the built-in registry cleaner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users