Open your CCleaner > Click Applications > Near the bottom (on mine) is Windows > UNCHECK all items listed under Windows as these will alter your settings for things like M.S.E. and other M/soft programs, including preventing your M.S.E updating and running regular scans. It had even removed some Paint items that I was working on.
This is a well known, and often reported problem from CCleaner Forum and M/soft Forums.
I have found that TFC, or Temp File Cleaner by Old Timer is better.
- Download TFC from the download link above and save the file on your desktop.
- Close ALL running applications as TFC will terminate them before attempting to clean up the temporary files.
- Double-click on the TFC icon.
- When the program opens, click on the Start button. TFC will terminate the Explorer process and all running applications and then begin the process of cleaning out all of your temp folders.
- When done, press OK and reboot your computer and finish the cleanup.
Note: Depending on how much data is currently stored in the Temp folders, this process can take quite a while to remove all of the files, so please be patient.