Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Delete Registry Key Apearantly not a Null Character

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:41 AM

I was trouble shooting a problem with connecting my cellphone to my computer and after reinstalling windows mobile device manager at least 4 times i decided to do a full manual removal of several keys relating to windows CE services and the Windows Mobile Device Center.

i located one specific registry entry that not only cant i remove but that i belive may have been the root of all the issues to begin with and the fact that it cant be overwritten is why the reinstal kept failing

the key is

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows CE Services

this specific key cannot be renamed deleted or even accessed to take ownership.

RegDelNull did not detect any anomolies in the keys name

the exact error i get trying to rename the key

""before deleting any key perminatly i first add a .BAK to the name and reboot to see the effect.""

any way clicking on the key gives the following error

Windows CE Services cannot be opened.

An error is preventing this key from being opened.

Details: The system cannot find the file specified

attempting to take controll of the key gives me an error

The requested security information is either unavailable or can't be displayed.

considering i tried this with both me main account and i even went so far as to enable the built in administrator account with no luck..

basically i need a way to edit the registry at the text file level or somethingthat can remove this obviously corrupt key that is breaking the program

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users