Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Professional SP3 Freezes at Splash Screen

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jerbear64

jerbear64

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:20 AM

My computer used to be a Ubuntu/Windows XP SP3 dual boot. I left it on while I went to see fireworks on July 4th, and when I got back GRUB gave me a "no such device, grub rescue" prompt. I then used PowerSuite 2009 to recover the default Master Boot Record. Now, whenever I try to get into Windows XP, it freezes at the startup splash screen, with the blue bars frozen. The only way to restart is to do a hard reset. After that, Windows will complain that it didn't shut down correctly. Safe Mode freezes when it tries to load AVG's .sys files. Last Known Good Configuration gives the same results. I've tried reinstalling the MBR with PowerSuite 2009 to no avail. I do not have the XP installation disk handy, either.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sirawit

Sirawit

Batch,VB,Lua,C,...

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 2,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

This is not problem on the Windows, after you use PowerSuite, your BIOS config may error.

Go into BIOS setup, you will see what key to press at when your computer boot up.

Find option call SATA mode and change option from AHCI to IDE. (AHCI will prevent booting up.)

If you not found SATA Mode then find anything with AHCI and change to IDE, it usually have only one.

For more information, your computer is PC or laptop?

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

#3 jerbear64

jerbear64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

My computer is a Dell Dimension 3000 tower. I used PowerSuite to overwrite the registry with the default registry and now it gets "autochk.exe not found - skipping AUTOCHECK" and hangs. I haven't found any SATA Mode options in the BIOS, same with AHCI.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 1,680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

As I understand it, you could do a 'Repair install' with any XP install disc of the same flavour as your existing installation - 32 bit, 64 bit, Pro etc. So If you can borrow a disc ?  And so long as you can still access the original Windows installation key, you can do a re-install - should you decide you need to - with any XP disc.

Since the 4th is now past, the next major celebratory occasion is the 14th. May I wish you 'Happy Bastille Day' and hope you have this problem resolved by then ?

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Sirawit

Sirawit

Batch,VB,Lua,C,...

• 2,135 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:53 AM

Its happen because you reset the registry. You have to repair your Windows.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#6 jerbear64

jerbear64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

I figured it's the registry. My uncle is the one who installed XP on my system, so he's got the disk. I should just have to press "repair installation" and it'll be fixed, right?

#7 Sirawit

Sirawit

Batch,VB,Lua,C,...

• 2,135 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

Yes,luckily you still have installation disk. :)

#8 jerbear64

jerbear64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

About that, my uncle's on the way and on the phone he admitted he's got a generic disk. Hopefully it'll work, but if all else fails I'll have to get an XP SP3 iso from Microsoft's website.

#9 jerbear64

jerbear64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:31 AM

Well, my computer is now up and running! Turns out his "generic" cd was actually a copy of a Pro SP2 disk, so I just did a Repair Installation. So even though I'm running SP2, I couldn't care less at this point. 

#10 Sirawit

Sirawit

Batch,VB,Lua,C,...

• 2,135 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:38 AM

Congrats! And if younot sure about SP2 systems you can update to SP3 referring to this link from microsoft : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

Steps to upgrade :

1.Download SP3 update.

2.Login with administrator user.

3.Check that your computer won't get interrupted by power problems.

4.Don't allow other users to use computer.

5.Backup all data. (In case something goes wrong.)

6.If it is WinXP Professional , create Automated System Recovery.

7.Close all programs.

8.Disconnected network and removable drives.

9.Disable antivirus. (In case update failed.)

10.Start the update.

Hope you can done it!

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

After installing SP3, please go to Windows Update...and download the more than 120 critical updates which have been issued since SP3.

Louis

#12 jerbear64

jerbear64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

I'm having Automatic Updates update to SP3 and download the updates for me.

#13 Sirawit

Sirawit

Batch,VB,Lua,C,...

• 2,135 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

I'm having Automatic Updates update to SP3 and download the updates for me.

Good, Becuase SP2 is not very good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users