Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

macbook lag

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pcrak

pcrak

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

didn't think that ever be on here again after I got ri of my dell, but my macbook pro has been suffering from some serious lag lately! i don't know where to even begin. i thought i was a problem with my internet so i upped my comcast speed from 25mbps to 50mbps. then i wasn't getting close to reaching 50 mbps so i changed my router from a linksys e4200 to an asus n66u. so now that i've changed everything that i thought could be the problem and my computer still has internet lag and general lag when i change from application to application. i'm handing it over to the experts. help!!! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 1,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

What model of MBP...i.e. when was it bought? Processor? RAM?

What kind of Internet lag are you talking about? You mentioned that you upped your Internet to 50 Mbps. What kind of speeds are you getting? How are you connected? Wireless or ethernet?

When you say "general" lag, what do you mean? Can you give specific, detail examples?
[soapbox] backup = good...no backup = bad[/soapbox]

Please DO NOT PM me for computer help or advice or in response to my reply to your topic/issue. Instead, please post your reply to the forums. This is because there maybe more than just me trying to help you AND it ensures that any solutions to your issue are there in the original topic for others to learn from in the future.

The Bleeping Computer Welcome Guide
Bleeping Computer Forum Rules

#3 pcrak

pcrak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

i bought this mac in black friday 2009. it's running version 10.6.8 

2.26 ghz intel core 2 duo processor

2 gb 1067 mhz ddr3 memory

the lag that i'm talking about is when i open up multiple pages on any of my internet browsers (chrome, safari, firefox) it takes forever for it to pull up the page. what used to take seconds can literally take up to a minute now. and that little colorful rainbow circle is also spinning more than lately. i can't ever get through a speedtest when i try to run one from speedtest.net it always freezes. but before it does the needle  will reach speeds of 40mbps and higher. another thing that happens is that my typing will have lag. so i'll type a sentance but what i've typed wont pop up until moments later. another thing..  songs on my itunes will "skip". i'll be listening to a song and it will jus cut out for a quick second then come back. the same way a cd would skip or like if i was streaming a song. except neither of those should happen because it's an itunes song on my computer. basically it feels like no matter what i do on my mac (internet, typing, playing music) there's some type of lag

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

Create a backup of your files before doing anything else. A bootable backup would be best IMO.

Twenty steps to help diagnose and fix system issues

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users