Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

McAfee blocked running of Broswer Manager/Adware-Bprotect

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 bventure

bventure

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:49 AM

McAfee is blocking the running of Adware-Bprotect in Browser Manager. I found Browser Manager in control panel & uninstalled, but it hasn't uninstalled & McAfee continually displays the message if I click on Remove. I don't see any other symptoms (maybe because McAfee is blocking the program), but wary of rebooting. 

I have taken screen shots of the McAfee message & the Browser Manager directory but don't see any way of attaching them.

I don't see any sign of Babylon Toolbar as is frequently mentioned with Browser Manager & IE is behaving normally as far as I can tell.

All advice & help warmly welcomed!

Martin

PS - Edit - Malwarebytes full scan found no malicious items

Edited by bventure, 26 June 2013 - 09:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 woodycxvi

woodycxvi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

I am receiving the same error when I downloaded the new version of ITunes and QuickTime this morning.  I see that McAfee now has it listed on their site, although no resolution is listed:

logo.png

31.gif?lang=ENlogo_att_93x42.gif

•  

Threat Profile: Adware-Bprotect
Threat Search
   Virus Profile information details Risk Assessment: Home N/A | Corporate N/A Date Discovered: 6/25/2013 Date Added: 6/25/2013 Origin: Unknown Length: 0 Type: Program Subtype: Adware DAT Required: N/A   

#3 woodycxvi

woodycxvi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:47 AM

Martin,

I wound up deleting the Browser Manager as you did, but I also found a Hijacker called Claro LTD Toolbar in my programs list.  As soon as I deleted that, I get no more messages.  Check to see if you have any type of unknown toolbar added to your browser recently and delete it...hopefully this helps!

#4 stejamo

stejamo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:25 PM

I am getting a similar message.

McAfee prevented a potentially unwanted program from running. etc etc.

About This Potentially Unwanted Program

Name: Adware-Bprotect

Quarantined from: C:\progr~3\browse~1\261339~1.44\{16cdf~1\browse~1.dll

When I click Remove I get a message saying "You're about to remove programs that may have been installed as a bundle or suite. Please read the program's license agreement before removing. To let McAfee automatically remove these programs, click OK. Otherwise click Cancel and remove them on your own." I click OK but the same "Potentially Unwanted Program Blocked" message keeps popping back up every few minutes.

#5 bventure

bventure
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

I am getting a similar message.

McAfee prevented a potentially unwanted program from running. etc etc.

About This Potentially Unwanted Program

Name: Adware-Bprotect

Quarantined from: C:\progr~3\browse~1\261339~1.44\{16cdf~1\browse~1.dll

When I click Remove I get a message saying "You're about to remove programs that may have been installed as a bundle or suite. Please read the program's license agreement before removing. To let McAfee automatically remove these programs, click OK. Otherwise click Cancel and remove them on your own." I click OK but the same "Potentially Unwanted Program Blocked" message keeps popping back up every few minutes.

Same message I'm getting. No new toolbars and IE seems to be behaving normally, but whether it would still do so if McAfee hadn't stopped 'Adware-Bprotect' running who knows?

I also notice that according to control panel programs & features Browser Manager was installed same day as 'Adobe Reader 9.5.5 MUI'. I wonder if I missed one of those tick boxes they are so good at hiding?

Martin

#6 d.w

d.w

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

there is magically alot of people who are getting this today i cannot get it to stop coming up no matter what i do so far and i dont want to screw up my puter it is for work as well

#7 d.w

d.w

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

me to only i cant get rid of it at all and it keeps coming back

#8 VisualM

VisualM

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

Same problem. Only warned me about it today

#9 d.w

d.w

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

i think i got rid of it  avg tool bar and something deleted it  restarted computer all seems to be fine

#10 Awd2312

Awd2312

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

Same problem here....

Started à few minuten ago

#11 reo19uk

reo19uk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:59 PM

I had this problem start this evening and found a program in my program list called 'browser protector' deleted that and so far not had the message again and not detected so far in scan!

#12 reo19uk

reo19uk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

I had this problem start this evening and found a program in my program list called 'browser protector' deleted that and so far not had the message again and not detected so far in scan!

correction its back

#13 d.w

d.w

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

that sucks reo  so far i am doin good with the removal of an avg tool bar  i pressed the let the computer take care of the problem waited and restarted

#14 reo19uk

reo19uk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

that sucks reo  so far i am doin good with the removal of an avg tool bar  i pressed the let the computer take care of the problem waited and restarted

how u remove avg tool bar?

#15 Yakeline

Yakeline

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:15 PM

I used Ccleaner (free download from Piriform.com, a.o.) to uninstall Browser Manager. MacAfee has not popped up since. Good luck!

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users