Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for good computer protection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gwenroe

gwenroe

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

Hello. I recently purchased the laptop I had previously been renting from my school. I am not ready to purchase an antivirus yet, so I have been looking around and testing what the free ones are like. I downloaded AVG Internet Security for the free trial which will soon end. I really like this antivirus, so I am wondering if AVG Free is a good one as well? Obviously it won't be as good as the one you pay for, but will it still keep my computer safe? I also have Malwarebytes for my malware removal and the free trial will be done as well. Are there any good malware removal programs that are free and not just a limited-time free trial? Also, once I have removed Malware from my computer, is it necessary/recommended to have both an antivirus and a malware removal program? Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

bleeperizer

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 2,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:23 PM

I use Avira for antivirus and Comodo for firewall... and am very secure. I use NoScript and Flashblock also. 

I never get infected unless I install bad software on my machine after ignoring warnings/ or just being bad when I know it. (piracy is illegal)

Different people prefer different programs, but I've found these work together.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

Almost Retired

• Members
  • 9,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:52 PM

Install Microsoft Security Essentials and back it up with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free and SUPERAntiSpyware Free -
This is always a good starting point, but fully remove / uninstall AVG first.

AVG has dropped in the rankings recently, so I have removed it from my suggestion lists.

Only My Personal Views

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 27,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

You might also take a look at our very own quietman7's excellent pinned topic: Answers to common security questions - Best Practices.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 jamesedwards399

jamesedwards399

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:43 AM

There are several good antivirus programs available for FREE. The ones that are recommended are provided below:-

Avast

AVG

Immunet Plus

Avira

Comodo

Bitdefender

Panda Security

Norton etc.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

Where can one obtain a free anti-virus from Norton? I know they have a free trial version but after expiration of the trial period you have to pay.

Even though its, free I would not recommend AVG any more.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#7 vulcain

vulcain

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

Hello,

I personally use Avast8, but not with the default setting, and firewall if you do not trust the windows you have Comodo firewall 6, which is great, but the problem is that the list of active processes too bulky. Personally I think that windows is sufficient but what many forget is browser protection. For the browser, we Adblock Plus, Wot, Ghostery's with that more pub. Wot whether by their community there is a risk of infection. Avast has his WebRep.

The important his Antivirus, so I personally recommend:

Antivirus: Avast 8 + WebRep and with protection enabled LPIS
Firewall: Windows 7 minimum if Comodo Firewall V6
Browser : Google chrome ou firefox avec en extention Wot + Adblock ou ghostery's 

Very complicated password router (+ 20 characters with specific as ([{etc. ..)

Random password for each site
Anti spam or Thunderbird as the mail with

Where I do cringe I use Premium IncredMail in messaging, but I love it (use anything that came from a site other than the official is otherwise!)

but also be very careful in the way of surfing the Net.

Believe one antivirus and firewall is enough of Utopia

There are other antivirus antivir, Avg, MSE free but it is on the chair that will make the big difference.

cordially

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users