Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 10 slows down, crashes computer unless run as an admin

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Trojanedintheback

Trojanedintheback

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:44 PM

Nevermind the jokes about still using Internet Explorer, I'm experiencing a really weird bug, and I suspect it might be trojan or virus related. Since yesterday, if I try to run Internet Explorer 10 normally, the program loads, then stalls, while keeping a white page, and eventually gets so bad that if I don't close it within a few seconds it causes my whole computer to slow down to the point I have to completely turn it off and on again. Oddly enough, I don't get this issue if I run IE10 as an admin. I've run chkdsk, a full AVG scan, and a full Spybot scan, and they haven't fixed the issue, let along detected anything, so I thought I'd bring it up here. If I could get any assistance in the situation, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,999 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:03 PM

If you do a Google search you will find numerous complaints of problems and issues with Internet Explorer 10. There is an option to run that version in Internet Explorer compatibility mode. To do that, open Internet Explorer, hit the F12 key and select Browser Mode: IE 9. However, it will only stay in this mode until you close the program....then it reverts back to its default setting.

If you are running Windows 7 you have the option of uninstalling Internet Explorer 10 from Programs and Features in the Control Panel. Then you can download and install Internet Explorer 9 and use it until all the bugs are resolved.

Another option is to Always Start Internet Explorer in Administrator Mode on Windows 7.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 Trojanedintheback

Trojanedintheback
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:56 AM

If you do a Google search you will find numerous complaints of problems and issues with Internet Explorer 10. There is an option to run that version in Internet Explorer compatibility mode. To do that, open Internet Explorer, hit the F12 key and select Browser Mode: IE 9. However, it will only stay in this mode until you close the program....then it reverts back to its default setting.

If you are running Windows 7 you have the option of uninstalling Internet Explorer 10 from Programs and Features in the Control Panel. Then you can download and install Internet Explorer 9 and use it until all the bugs are resolved.

Another option is to Always Start Internet Explorer in Administrator Mode on Windows 7.

Unfortunately, I don't think that will be a suitable fix in this situation - a few months ago I had this exact issue with IE9 as a well, and in my attempts to fix that I ended up having to reinstall windows from scratch and nearly lost all of my files (they were able to be backed up first, and remain such now). It started with this, then I'd eventually get a notice of a corrupted file which I couldn't replace, and on and on until half my programs no longer worked. Everyone I know with some knowledge in computers is thinking Trojan or virus, but I'm at a loss right here.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,999 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:58 AM

What security scanss have you tried so far?

#5 Trojanedintheback

Trojanedintheback
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

AVG and Spybot Search and Destroy

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,999 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamicontw5.gif and save it to your desktop.
  • Important!! When you save the mbam-setup file, rename it to something random (such as 123abc.exe) before beginning the download.
  • Double-click on the renamed file to install, then follow these instructions for doing a Quick Scan in normal mode.
  • Don't forget to check for database definition updates through the program's interface (preferable method) before scanning.
  • If you cannot update Malwarebytes or use the Internet to download any files to the infected computer, manually update the database by following the instructions in FAQ Section A.4. Issues.
Malwarebytes may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • After the scan, make sure that everything is checked and then click the Remove Selected button to remove all the listed malware.
  • When done, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab .
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows the database version and your operating system.
  • Exit Malwarebytes when done.
If Malwarebytes encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally will prevent Malwarebytes from removing all the malware.

Note: A 14-day trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO is available as an option when first installing the free version so all users can test the real-time protection component for a period of two weeks. When the limited time period expires those features will be deactivated and locked. Enabling the Protection Module feature again requires registration and purchase of a license key. If you continue to use the free version, there is no requirement to buy a license...you can just use it as a stand-alone scanner. Users who have previously completed the trial will not be prompted to start the trial upon upgrade or reinstallation.

#7 Trojanedintheback

Trojanedintheback
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

Turns out the  Malwarebytes didn't find anything either in its quick scan - here's the log:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2013.06.08.05

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 10.0.9200.16576
Patrick :: GIDGET [administrator]

6/8/2013 1:16:03 PM
mbam-log-2013-06-08 (13-16-03).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 212128
Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 37 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,999 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

Try doing an online scan to see if it finds anything else that the other scans may have missed.

Please perform a scan with Eset Online Anti-virus Scanner.
  • If using Mozilla Firefox, you will be prompted to download and use the ESET Smart Installer. Just double-click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to install.
  • Vista/Windows 7 users need to run Internet Explorer/Firefox as Administrator.
    To do this, right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run As Administrator from the context menu.
    • Click the green esetOnline.png button.
    • Read the End User License Agreement and check the box:
    • Check esetAcceptTerms.png.
    • Click the esetStart.png button.
    • Accept any security warnings from your browser and allow the download/installation of any require files.
    • Under scan settings, check esetScanArchives.png and check Remove found threats
    • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
      • Scan potentially unwanted applications
      • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
      • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
    • Click the Start button.
    • ESET will install itself, download virus signature database updates, and begin scanning your computer.
    • The scan can take some time to complete...close all programs and do NOT use the computer while the scan is running.
      If given the option (when threats are found), choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.
    • When the scan completes, push esetListThreats.png
    • Push esetExport.png, and save the file to your desktop as ESETScan.txt.
    • Push the esetBack.png button, then Finish.
    • Copy and paste the contents of ESETScan.txt in your next reply. If no threats are found, there is no option to create a log.
  • Note: If you recognize any of the detections as legitimate programs, it's possible they are "false positives" and you can ignore them or get a second opinion if you're not sure. Eset's detection rate is high and can include legitimate files which it considers suspicious, a Risk Tool, Hacking Tool, Potentially Unwanted Program, a possible threat or even Malware (virus/trojan) when that is not the case.

#9 Trojanedintheback

Trojanedintheback
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:53 PM

I would provide you a log, but Eset didn't find anything either, and yet the problem still persists. Think it might be hardware at this point?

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 33,999 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

I doubt if this is hardware related since the problems appears to only be with Internet Explorer.

To eliminate all possibility of malware infection I recommend a more comprehensive look at your system. Many of the tools we use in this forum are not capable of detecting (repairing/removing) all malware variants so more advanced tools are needed to investigate. Before that can be done you will need to create and post a DDS log for further investigation.

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.
  • If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create two logs.
When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs, then still start the new topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, it would be helpful if you replied back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can closed this one. Good luck and be patient.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, please follow Step One and CLICK the link so it will report your topic to the team members.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users