Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Watching Netflix on old crt tv

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Eric1958

Eric1958

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:20 AM

I'm about to get a cable broadband connection into my house and don't know how to hook up my old Sony trinitron tv up so I can watch Netflix. Also need a wifi router.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 1,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

I'm about to get a cable broadband connection into my house and don't know how to hook up my old Sony trinitron tv up so I can watch Netflix. Also need a wifi router.

Are you looking to hook up a computer? Or are you looking to use ANY device to hook to the TV to watch Netflix?

If you are talking about the latter, then there are number of devices that will hook to an old CRT TV by way of a standard composite (i.e. yellow "RCA" jack) or maybe even an S-Video jack since your CRT Trinitron TV likely does not have HDMI or component (red-green-blue RCA jacks). If nothing else, Wii can hook up to CRT TVs and you can watch Netflix through your Wii. Also, older Roku devices (but not the Roku 3 it appears) can hook up to older analog connectors and they offer a Netflix "channel".

If you are talking about a computer, then you will either need a graphics card that support output to a composite video connection or you will need a converter that will go from VGA to composite (or S-Video) or even DVI/HDMI to composite (or S-Video).

If you clarify what you specifically want to do, then I might be able to provide more specific guidance. Also, it would help if you listed what specific input connections you have on the TV and if you want to use a computer, what specific output options you have on the computer (i.e. brand/model of computer).
[soapbox] backup = good...no backup = bad[/soapbox]

Please DO NOT PM me for computer help or advice or in response to my reply to your topic/issue. Instead, please post your reply to the forums. This is because there maybe more than just me trying to help you AND it ensures that any solutions to your issue are there in the original topic for others to learn from in the future.

The Bleeping Computer Welcome Guide
Bleeping Computer Forum Rules

#3 Eric1958

Eric1958
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:40 AM

Ok, I got connected to broadband and my kids and I are able to watch Netflix on our smartphones. My tv just has s video, coaxial cable and the old yellow whatever rca plug inputs. No Wii and I don't even know what a roku device is. I need something cheap that will connect modem directly to tv. No, I'm not going through a computer. Though I suppose I could if I really wanted to.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 1,005 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

Ok, I got connected to broadband and my kids and I are able to watch Netflix on our smartphones. My tv just has s video, coaxial cable and the old yellow whatever rca plug inputs. No Wii and I don't even know what a roku device is. I need something cheap that will connect modem directly to tv. No, I'm not going through a computer. Though I suppose I could if I really wanted to.

You cannot hook up your cable modem directly to your TV. What comes out of your modem is "computer stuff", not "TV stuff". So, you need something that essentially makes your TV understand "computer stuff". So, you need some sort of device. I will note that newer HDTVs can be "smart TVs", meaning that they have "computer stuff" built into them.

There are four basic ways you can add Netflix to your old CRT:

1) Digital media adapter
2) Bluray player
3) A gaming console
4) Computer

A "digital media adapter" will basically be a small box that you connect to the TV that then allows you access to streaming content. Some might also allow you to stream content from your computer to box over your local network. A Roku is an example of a digital media adapter. So is an Apple TV. Here is the most basic (and cheapest Roku) and it should definitely work with your TV:

http://www.amazon.com/Roku-2450D-LT-Streaming-Player/dp/B008R7EVE4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370696397&sr=8-1&keywords=roku+2lt

You could also consider the Roku 2 HD or even the Roku 2 XD, but the Roku 3 would not work as it only has an HDMI connection*. There is a comparison chart between them down further on the Amazon page that I linked to just above. Also, an Apple TV would not work for you as it also only has an HDMI cable*. With your current TV, the Roku 2 XD would likely be a waste as the main additional feature is 1080P support and your TV likely cannot even do 720P.

* You could potentially make use of an HDMI connection with your TV with a converter box, but that is an added expense/hassle that it not likely worth it. I supposed if you think you might get an HDTV a some point in the near future, it might be worth it for "future planning". Since the Roku 2 LT is only $39, however, I would likely just go with it or if you want to go with a Roku 2 XD or XS as they will support your current TV without a converter box but also have HDMI support and support for 1080P for the future if you do get an HDTV.

The other overall easy option would be a Blu Ray player that supports Netflix streaming. It will also allow you to watch DVDs and BluRay movies, although you will NOT get the full 1080P resolution that a Blu Ray movie can do with your current TV. If you go this route, then make sure the BluRay player has a composite (yellow RCA jack) or S-Video port on it before you buy it. Some BluRay players only have HDMI or component.

I more or less addressed computers in my previous post. It would likely be a pain to hook one up to your current TV unless you happen to have one that support TV video out to a composite or maybe S-Video port.

I kind of addressed gaming consoles in my previous post as well. Wii definitely allows Netflix streaming. I believe so does the PS3 and XBox 360, but I am not 100% sure.

Please DO NOT PM me for computer help or advice or in response to my reply to your topic/issue. Instead, please post your reply to the forums. This is because there maybe more than just me trying to help you AND it ensures that any solutions to your issue are there in the original topic for others to learn from in the future.

#5 Eric1958

Eric1958
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

Thanks, that helps a lot.

#6 cobol-dinosaur

cobol-dinosaur

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:44 PM

Hello - a new query re getting that old tv to do new things.  I have a Sony Trinitron XBR (weighs 500 lbs) that has a great picture quality.  I also have a Linksys wi-fi router, a wii fit (not new), and a acer aspire ultralight I never use that could be commandeered.  I have a sony all in one with windows 7 (this is my main pc and I would dearly love not to have to take it to the living room and comfy chair and then back to my office so I can read type) and the aspire has windows 8.  I load my iTunes shows on to a 1 gb external drive that I drive off the Sony all in one.  Oh yeah I have a sony dvd player that I won, never taken it out of the box hdmi it says but does not say blue ray,  My sony computer has blueray.

I live in the boonies and do not have cable or an antennae.  I do have super fast xplorenet.  Sure would like to watch netflicks on my tv and also if possible  also apple store downloads of tv and movies.  (my stereo gear is vintage 1995 so while it's high quality it's not current)

from the previous post I think I have all the right bits to make this work, but as you can see I am a cobol-dinosaur...  and need some help. 

Looking at the back of the tv:  I have Video 1, 2,3,4 with yellow, white red connections x 4, I also have HD-DVD in with green, blue, red and audio white red and finally I have a hd video in with 24 pins ~.

Ideally I would connect something to the tv and then that something would talk to my router and voila I can watch netflicks and iTunes.  

BC Advisor I see you are online.  I have a visit to the computer store tomorrow night so I can buy what ever cables etc that I need to make this work.  I also have a drawer full of cables and stuff (but I am guessing that the one I need will be missing)

So fair I have found 2 cables yellow white red but no cables with blue or green or video out(I am guessing this would be like the projector we use at work?)

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 1,005 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:28 PM

Video 1, 2, 3, & 4 sound like there are composite video ports. I assume they look like this:

hcompositevideojack.jpg

What you call "HD-DVD" sounds like component video hook up. I assume it looks like this (minus the yellow connector):

Component-Video.jpg

Does the 24 pin port look like this:

DVI-port.jpg

If so, then this is likely your best bet, but it will depend on the video output connection on your computer. This is a DVI connection. For DVI, there is either analog or digital. So, it will kind of depend on what your computer output is. If your computer outputs the same as what the TV has (either both are analog only or both are digital only or at least one can handle both analog or digital signals through the port), then it is just a matter of getting a DVI cable...more specifically a DVI-I cable (I means it can do both analog and digital...DVI-A is just analog and DVI-D is just digital). If TV use one (say digital) and the computer uses the other (say analog), then you will need a converter box that can convert from analog to digital or vice versa.

It might help if you provide specific model numbers as then we can determine what specific video output you have available on the computer and how they might work with the inputs on the TV.

Edit: The other overall option is to get a streaming device that allows access to Netflix and that can connect to your TV.  I know Roku offers models of their players that can connect to older TVs (i.e. TVs that DO NOT have HDMI connections)...and they will still allow access to Netflix.  If I recall correctly, any Roku model EXCEPT the Roku 3 and Roku's stick will work with older TVs.

Edited by smax013, 12 November 2014 - 12:33 PM.

#8 cobol-dinosaur

cobol-dinosaur

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 05:11 PM

Yes I have all three of the items above :) my sony trinatron xbr is model KV-34XBR800

So far I have got the Wii to work with the red/yellow/white and the netflicks channel  :)  (most worst option from a capability perspective but promising none the less if all I want is netflicks and a mouse/controller to navigate)

The wii internet channel is the pits however and seems to not understand that one needs to scroll to even read a paper and dealing with iTunes is a non-starter.

I do have a cable with the HDMI on one end and the DVI on the other.  So this will work with the acer aspire that I have running windows 8 :)  and then I can plug the g/drive into the usb on the acer and  should be good to go.  Let me muck about and see if I can get more to work.

I am thinking I will need to use the ultralite somewhat like keyboard mouse/horsepower  and then the screen as the monitor. 

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users