Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows freezing and running slow

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 empire1012

empire1012

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:00 AM

Hey guys,

I just started having some major issues with my computer.

I noticed it running slow so I checked the running processes and iexplorer.exe was running 3 times and svchost.exe was using quite a bit of memory and climbing. The strange part was that I wasn't even using IE.

From safemode I ran a scan with MalwareBytes and spybot S&D but they didn't find anything. I also ran a scan with TDSSKiller and it also didn't find anything.

The computer has frozen up twice now and seems to be taking a really long time to open programs.

I ran chkdsk /r on C: and there were no errors. I ran MemTest86+ for 20+ minutes and there were no errors.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Phil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

I ran MemTest86+ for 20+ minutes and there were no errors.

Phil

If the intent is to test RAM...a minimum amount of time would probably be 2.5 hours or so, IME.

Memtest86+ Guide-How To's - Overclockers Forums - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409152

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 18,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.  Groucho Marx

#4 empire1012

empire1012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:10 AM

Sorry for the late reply. The forum wouldn't let me post for a while saying I didn't have permission.

Here is the speccy snapshot:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Zqi5dVEZLT5Ia1YBMfE6NVj

here is the MiniToolBox log:

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version:21-04-2013
Ran by PJ's (administrator) on 28-05-2013 at 23:16:11
Running from "C:\Users\PJ's\Downloads"
Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 (X64)
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
==================
Error: (05/28/2013 11:06:31 PM) (Source: WinMgmt) (User: )
Description: //./root/CIMV2SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 990x80041003

Error: (05/28/2013 11:06:21 PM) (Source: Bonjour Service) (User: )
Description: Client application bug: DNSServiceResolve(mobile._epoccam._tcp.local.) active for over two minutes. This places considerable burden on the network.

Error: (05/28/2013 11:03:25 PM) (Source: ESENT) (User: )
Description: taskhost (1736) WebCacheLocal: Error -1811 occurred while opening logfile C:\Users\PJ's\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\V01001CA.log.

Error: (05/28/2013 11:52:33 AM) (Source: Bonjour Service) (User: )
Description: ERROR: handle_resolve_request bad interfaceIndex 15

Error: (05/28/2013 11:41:50 AM) (Source: Bonjour Service) (User: )

Error: (05/28/2013 11:29:45 AM) (Source: Bonjour Service) (User: )

Error: (05/28/2013 11:24:13 AM) (Source: Bonjour Service) (User: )

Error: (05/28/2013 11:02:29 AM) (Source: Bonjour Service) (User: )

Error: (05/28/2013 10:57:09 AM) (Source: Bonjour Service) (User: )
Description: Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledSPRetry 44830616

Error: (05/28/2013 10:57:09 AM) (Source: Bonjour Service) (User: )
Description: Task Scheduling Error: m->NextScheduledEvent 44830616

System errors:
=============
Error: (05/28/2013 11:04:42 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The windrvNT service failed to start due to the following error:
%%2

Error: (05/28/2013 11:04:01 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The Cobian Backup 11 Volume Shadow Copy Requester service failed to start due to the following error:
%%1053

Error: (05/28/2013 11:04:01 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Cobian Backup 11 Volume Shadow Copy Requester service to connect.

Error: (05/28/2013 11:02:58 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: WLAN Extensibility Module has failed to start.

Module Path: C:\Windows\system32\Rtlihvs.dll
Error Code: 126

Error: (05/28/2013 11:02:47 PM) (Source: EventLog) (User: )
Description: The previous system shutdown at 10:58:34 PM on ?5/?28/?2013 was unexpected.

Error: (05/28/2013 10:20:04 PM) (Source: DCOM) (User: )
Description: {4EB61BAC-A3B6-4760-9581-655041EF4D69}

Error: (05/28/2013 10:19:34 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The Google Update Service (gupdate) service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).

Error: (05/28/2013 11:45:34 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig) (User: NT AUTHORITY)

Error: (05/28/2013 11:36:50 AM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig) (User: NT AUTHORITY)

Edited by empire1012, 29 May 2013 - 04:19 AM.

#5 empire1012

empire1012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:21 AM

Ok well its not letting me post it all so I am going to put it all in a text file.

#6 empire1012

empire1012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:23 AM

Here is the result.txt from MiniToolBox

Attached Files

#7 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

Try doing a clean boot to see if this speeds things up.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Are you using the pc with an iPod or iPhone? The Bonjour error is related to this, and if you aren't using it, the Bonjour service can be disabled.

Are you using Cobian backup?

These errors sometimes occur if Windows update has been interrupted. Is Windows update working correctly?

See this first post for general tips on troubleshooting a slow computer (although its for xp, the info is still valid)  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

#8 empire1012

empire1012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:25 AM

I fixed my issue and this post can be closed. Thanks for the help anyway. My motherboard auto over clocked my processor when I reset it and my processor couldn't handle it. I'm pretty sure that was the issue. I also ran a registry scan/clean with CCleaner and it fixes a bunch of issues. No problems after correcting these things.

#9 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 18,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:29 AM

I fixed my issue and this post can be closed. Thanks for the help anyway. My motherboard auto over clocked my processor when I reset it and my processor couldn't handle it. I'm pretty sure that was the issue. I also ran a registry scan/clean with CCleaner and it fixes a bunch of issues. No problems after correcting these things.

As a general rule topics are not closed unless there is a compelling reason.

I'm glad that you have resolved your problem.  In order to help you keep it this way I will point out that the use of registry cleaners and optomizers is not endorsed at BleepingComputer.

The following was written by Animal, one of our Site Administrators.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in unpredictable results.

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.  Groucho Marx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users