Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to read DVD-CD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 big13oss

big13oss

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:51 PM

I'm having trouble with a pair of DVD's that I used to store data, in this case movies, I insert the DVD and the computer reads it, however nothing happens, I cannot acces the data. Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

Almost Retired

• Members
  • 9,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:42 PM

Hello -

A few basics first - If you check Device Manager, is there any ( ? ) or ( ! ) showing near your Optical Device ?
When was the last time that you could read these DVDs, and was it on this, or another computer ?

Please list Computer Make and Model (if known) and Optical Device also. It should be listed in Device Manager.
You could try to put it in another computer as a test, or look for updated firmware for the Optical Drive.

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 25 May 2013 - 11:43 PM.

#3 big13oss

big13oss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:08 AM

hello and thank you for your help, I could not find the optical device in the device management, my computer is in french and i cannot translate its meaning in the internet, however I checked the whole device management section and I found no ! or ?. The last time I could read these Cds was just after I finished burning data on them, on this same computer.

I'm curently using a Aspire V3-571 Acer computer, thank you for your help.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

CDs/DVDs...can go bad...become scratched, dirty, etc.

My first step...run water on the disk, then wipe dry with cotton cloth (.e.g., T-shirt) in straight-line motions (no circular motion).

Retry the discs on same computer.

If no joy...then try them on someone else's or a different system.  That will help define the problem.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users