Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NTLDR is missing

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lxer96

lxer96

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

After a windows update the other day, my computer restarted itself to a black screen that simply says "ntldr is missing press ctrl atl del to restart.

I've read some posts that say to use the xp disk to load the windows recovery console and use the prompts to fix it. When I press R it says no hard drive is detected. I've ran the diagnostics in Bios and the hard drive checks out just fine. What can I do from here? Stupidly I have a lot of data on this hard drive that I would like to get off if I can get it to boot again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:39 PM

Download Puppy Linux and burn the .ISO image to disk (or configured to boot from other media such as FDD, HDD, SD memory card etc.).

Boot from such media and mount the drive > copy/paste at will.

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:16 PM

Hi

Is it an assembled PC or a branded one ?. Please post the full spec (Motherboard , RAM, HDD etc) and model number (in case of a laptop\branded machine) .

Can see you the partitions and data when booting from Puppy

#4 lxer96

lxer96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:48 AM

It'll boot to Puppy and I can see SDA1, SDA2 and SDA3 hardrive partitions. I can't access SDA3 which is where the data is. It gives a red screen saying to try access it later and when I click on it later it just has 1 folder that says system volume information on it.

It's an HP DV6000 laptop. XP Media Center Edition SP3. I think I bought it in 2006. It has 1GB Ram, 80g hd fujitsu HD, I'm pretty sure it's a 1.3ghz Celeron processor and I'm not sure what Motherboard it has.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:06 AM

Hi

A few more questions.

Is the laptop came pre-installed with Win XP or did you installed a retail copy in it ?

Boot from the XP CD and press enter instead of R. Setup will go to the partitioning screen after displaying licence agreement. Can you see the partitions in there or is it complain about missing HDD ? . We are doing this to check if your SATA is configured in BIOS to AHCI mode.  

If XP setup is also complaining about missing HDD, do the following steps.

1 ) Enter BIOS (usually F10)

2 ) Under System Configuration menu set SATA native support to Disable.

3 ) Now boot from the CD and open recovery console.

4 ) Run CHKDSK C: /R first. After it completes proceed to expand NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM from the CD to C drive.

#6 lxer96

lxer96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

Ok. CHanged the setting in BIOS and now it will go the the recovery console. My options are 1: D:\MiniNT.

When copying the ntldr and ntdetect files should my destination be C drive or D drive?

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:55 AM

Hi

It seems like your C drive file system is damaged. You should run the check disk command first to correct the damaged C : NTFS. After that recovery console will be able to detect your C:\Windows installation. D:\MINIT is probably a WinPE installation used for restoring OS to factory state. After running check disk (CHKDSK C: /R) try to boot from the HDD. Report if it complains about missing files or produce any blue screens.

You don't need to be log in to the C drive for running check disk. After running check disk, boot from the puppy Linux and check if you can see NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM in the root of C drive. You can identify the C drive by looking for Windows and Documents and settings folders.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 29 May 2013 - 03:04 AM.

#8 lxer96

lxer96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:02 PM

I ran check disk as you instructed above and it did not report any problems. Booted to puppy and SDA1 has windows in it but not Documents and Settings folder. I copied ntldr and ntdetect.com into the SDA 1 folder and rebooted. Now the error I get says windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: ,Windows root>\sytem32\hal.dll

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

Hi

I suggest doing a repair install which preserves your data and installed programs. Watch the below self explanatory video to know how to do a repair install. 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 30 May 2013 - 01:18 PM.

#10 lxer96

lxer96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

I can get to the screen where it shows the partitions but there is no option for "r". I have the option to Delete a partition or create a partition in the unpartitioned space.

C : Partition 1 {NTFS} 63311 MB

unpartitioned space 8MB

D: Partition 2 : HP RECOVERY 11970MB

F: Partition 3: NTFS 1028MB

#11 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:12 AM

Hi

If the XP setup failed to detect the previous installation, it means your OS got severely damaged. That explains you are getting the missing HAL.DLL error. As a last step before reformatting the OS, try the Bootcfg /rebuild command from recovery console. Read the instructions from the below link thoroughly. This command will rebuild the Boot.ini from scratch.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980

Here are the steps.

1 ) Rename the boot.ini file located in the root of C from Puppy Linux.

2 ) Boot to the recovery console and issue Bootcfg /rebuild

You may receive a message that is similar to the following message:

Total Identified Windows Installs: 1

[1] C:\Windows
           Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All):

Press Y to confirm

Enter Load Identifier:

Type Windows XP

Enter Operating System Load Options:

Type /fastdetect

Try to boot the system after it finishes.

If the bootcfg command failed to detect your installation, you should perform a clean install.  Use puppy Linux to backup data from C drive.

#12 lxer96

lxer96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:22 PM

It can't find my windows installation at all so I guess I am looking at a reformat. Thanks for all of your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users